Nub Cigars?

I'm fascinated. At the risk of appearing cynical, I'm going to chop this Monte 2 into 3rds and smoke the middle bit to see how it works out...no way this can work...right?...please God, tell me it can't...

» I know this entry is non-cuban related but has anyone seen these before or

» heard anything about the idea behind them?

»

» http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=620

»

» Take a look and let me know your thoughts?

»

» -Patrick

Patrick,

I had one today. It was a torpedo with a Habano wrapper. The ring gauge was just too big for my mouth and since the stick itself was so short, it just didnt feel right in my hands.

It burned hot and didnt really offer much flavorwise. I pitched it a little bit before the ash reached the band because it just got nasty.

If you are looking for a nice smoke from Oliva, try the Series V.

» If you are looking for a nice smoke from Oliva, try the Series V.

No, just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the concept. Thanks for the recommendation though.

» » If you are looking for a nice smoke from Oliva, try the Series V.

»

» No, just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the concept. Thanks

» for the recommendation though.

Classic case of searching for immediate gratification. Essentially..."lets just get to the good bit"

A cigar needs some time to evolve. There is no Journey when you are only driving from the garage to the street.

» No, just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the concept.

My feeling is that it's another type of marketing gimmick. Like any cigar, it's blended to taste a certain way.

Call it the sweet spot, wet spot, or g spot - it tastes as it tastes. I also agree with Rob in that I feel

a good cigar takes you on a flavor journey, and that there's no one point where I'd expect it to

be at a flavor peak.

I've been watching these since the first announcement.

They've gotten some good reviews, but I suspect that there's some pre-release enthusiasm wrapped into the mix. :-D

I ordered a 6-stick sampler - two each of the Connecticut, Havana and Cameroon wrappers.

I'll take one for the team, and report back on my experiences...

Agreed, I though this was some sort of April Fools gag when I read that link. Good Grief what a stupid concept.

» A total bunch of marketing crap.

»

» Don't drink the koolaid. :rotfl:

Excuse me but does it make you guys feel better about yourselves to bash this cigar without even trying it. I happen to know Sam the maker of this cigar personally and have many friends who are really close to him. This might make me a bit bias, but Sam happens to be a great guy and doesn't deserve to trashed like this.

As far as Nubs are concerned, I have smoked one. The Cameroon to be exact. I won't tell you it was the best cigar I've had, but it was a good cigar for the price these will sell for. I also would not form a opinion after having just smoked one of any cigar. I will also say that the construction of this cigar was top notch as it is with all cigars that I've seen come from the Oliva factory.

Just keep this in mind Jose Oliva is backing Sam in launching this cigar. Oliva has made some very good cigars, the Oliva V, and the Master Blends are my favorites. I'm sure Jose wouldn't have gotten behind the Nub concept if he thought they were not worth it.

The question asked was what do members think of the concept. Members have expressed their

opinions on the concept - I don't believe anyone has "trashed" the cigars , and certainly there have

been no personal attacks.

To restate my personal opinion, I feel that a four inch, sixty four ring cigar is a marketing ploy - or

at the very least fills a niche that is not for me.

I've never smoked a Perdomo Immenso, but feel the same about these.

» The question asked was what do members think of the concept. Members have

» expressed their

» opinions on the concept - I don't believe anyone has "trashed" the cigars

» , and certainly there have

» been no personal attacks.

» To restate my personal opinion, I feel that a four inch, sixty four ring

» cigar is a marketing ploy - or

» at the very least fills a niche that is not for me.

» I've never smoked a Perdomo Immenso, but feel the same about these.

Point taken and a good one at that. I personally don't usually smoke anything larger then a 50 ring myself and have become fond of cigars that are 46 to a 42 ring size.

However when someone posts a reference about drinking the koolaid.... well that is leaves the impression of less then favorable where I come from, and that is a mild description at best.

Please by no means take my post as a attack on anyone here, I enjoy this forum a lot and there are a lot of great people here. Some I have met in person and have come to like and respect. I just felt a need to voice my opinion, and I would like to let you know that even if this is not a cigar that fits your tastes it still has a place in the hobby.

Honestly, and with no disrespect meant to Sam or the Olivas, the concept strikes me as bunk.

I'm not saying they'll be bad cigars, as I'm sure they're rolled with quality tobacco, but I don't see how a short, fat cigar can provide the finesse and enjoyment of a longer one of more normal girth.

Seems to me that if this concept were so "innovative," that someone in the last 500 years would have used it, and it would have stuck.

I'm sure I'll try one at some point though, because I'm kind of a tobacco hoor. :-D

» I just felt a need to voice my opinion, and I would like to let you know that

» even if this is not a cigar that fits your tastes it still has a place in the hobby.

Of course, i think it's why we're here - sharing thoughts, exchanging ideas, expressing opinions.

Personally, I try to post as if I'm having a conversation with the members here.

I don't endeavor to speak for any member, but if I were a betting man I'd believe the kool-aid

remark was aimed at the general marketing / advertising aspect, and not personal.

As for the cigars, there is certainly room, and if they are well made and taste good, I hope they sell

all that they can make.

You cannot argue that it is a marketing concept for the most part. The ads show the cigar standing on its ash. Its visually appealing and would induce someone to purchase via an impulse buy.

Oliva makes a fine product. To this day, I have yet to smoke a cigar that combines both flavor and tremendous strength without being too peppery than the Oliva El Cobre. They are kick-ass sticks that satisfy the full bodied smoker's need.

» » »

» Classic case of searching for immediate gratification. Essentially..."lets

» just get to the good bit"

»

» A cigar needs some time to evolve. There is no Journey when you are only

» driving from the garage to the street.

great point, It seems to me that you are actually missing out on much of that precious middle third by eliminating the rest.

if this were the case, why not buy pipe tabacco?

My take on this would be to skip over it and purchase some Sig I's

now thats a great short smoke! ;-)

I finally got my sample pack and smoked one of these - the Nub Cameroon 464 torpedo.

Good smoke. Solid, medium-to-full, the blend tastes almost identical to the Oliva Serie G - one of my go-to smokes.

The construction is beautiful - great wrapper, nice cap, no blemishes or soft spots.

The burn is slow and cool, with plenty of smoke and flavor. The draw is easy without being loose.

Getting it lit was a bit of a challnge, but once going, the burn was even and smooth.

Start to finish was just under two hours (a little less than I normally take for a churchill or double corona)

I wasn't wowed, but neither was I dissappointed. It's a good smoke, and worth the money I paid for it.

Gimmick? Well, yeah :-D but the cigar doesn't suffer from it. I'll certainly smoke more of them (don't know that I'd buy a box, but I'll happily buy singles or five-packs when I want a change-of-pace).

I'll let y'all know when I try the Havana and Connecticut versions...

» Gimmick? Well, yeah :-D but the cigar doesn't suffer from it. I'll

» certainly smoke more of them (don't know that I'd buy a box, but I'll

» happily buy singles or five-packs when I want a change-of-pace).

i was very quick when I heard of the Nub's to dismiss this idea but I guess on the basis of your test I should eat my words. Thanks a lot for taking the time to try them out and let us know.