European Vacation

I am in the beginning phase of planning my 30th birthday present...a European Vacation with my wife a la Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo. I thought, what better place to get advice than this international group of fellow cigar and booze hounds? I have imagined flying into London and doing two big "loops". I would like to rely mostly on public transportation (train and ferry). I would like to see as much of England, Scotland, and Ireland as possible in the northern loop. I would also like to see Paris, Champagne, Burgundy, Bordeaux, and D-Day battlefields in the southern loop. Whisky and scenery will be the focus in Scotland. Wine and WWII will be the focus in France. The key is that I would like to do all of this in as little time as possible to get it all in...like two weeks. Is this even possible? I have never been to Europe and may never go again. It will be sometime next spring/early summer. Any advice? I will be flying from Atlanta or Charlotte.

» I am in the beginning phase of planning my 30th birthday present...a

» European Vacation with my wife a la Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo. I

» thought, what better place to get advice than this international group of

» fellow cigar and booze hounds?

"Dad, I think he's gonna pork her!"

"He's not gonna pork her, Russ. Just eat, okay?"

"I think he's gonna pork her!"

"He MAY pork her, Russ."

Ahh, I love that movie...:-|

I know there are plenty of boys who will help (Ken is there currently) but I can say that three weeks would be the bare minimum for what you are trying to achieve. Fit in the extra week and you will not regret it.

I agree with Prez...either extend your stay, or reduce itinerary...you'll be doing nothing but viewing sights out the windows of trains, planes, and buses if you jam in that many stops. You'll create more memories if you spend hours strolling, meeting people, sitting at cafes (smoking in many!).

I used to think that checking things off of a list as "seen" or "been there" was the point of travel, than I learned that what I recalled later was mostly like a postcard, simply an image of the place, probably augmented by the popular images I'd seen before & after my real-life visit, i.e. pretty two-dimensional. My wife taught me that rather than seeing it all, pick a few things/places and really spend some time. I've spent over 8 weeks in France alone in over the past 14 years, and haven't visited half the regions you've got on your list, although I intend to over time. But, I did take an apartment in Paris for three weeks, in '98, and I can still close my eyes, walk the streets of my neighborhood (the 7th arrondisement, btw), smell the bakery & cheesemonger, and seriously consider that many societies live very well even thought they're vastly different what I learned. So, a real three-dimensional picture was formed.

Anyway, don't mean to sound preachy, just trying to pass on some of what I've learned. I understand that you feel you may not get back, so do what you can on this trip, but leave the option of returning to your favs open for the future. I'm off to 8 days in Istanbul tomorrow (first visit for me), and also keep in mind that the currency exchange is cyclical....right now the US$ is down, but it'll swing back..may be 5 years, but be ready when it does to head back to Europe and feel like you're getting a real deal!

» I know there are plenty of boys who will help (Ken is there currently) but

» I can say that three weeks would be the bare minimum for what you are

» trying to achieve. Fit in the extra week and you will not regret it.

Thanks guys and keep it coming...this is just the kind of stuff I am looking for. Maybe leaning towards making Paris my base for two weeks and taking several jaunts out into the different regions during the stay.

» Maybe leaning towards making Paris my base for two weeks and

» taking several jaunts out into the different regions during the stay.

Not a bad idea, but as others have alluded to, you might find that Paris itself could keep you

occupied for that time - and that's not a bad thing :-)

I agree with Ken, not only is the food amazing but the culture was a real eye opener in Spain. I mean who doesnt love siesta? I would say that Spain is a must. To put things in perspective for you in 3 1/2 weeks my girlfriend and I did London for 4 nights, Dublin for 4 nights, Amsterdam for 2 nights, Paris for 4 nights, Montpelier (supposed to stay 2 nights but left after one), Barcelona for 4 nights and Madrid for 4 nights. It was exhausting and exhilerating to take in so much in such a small amount of time. We thought the way we did it was just about perfect in terms of timing. Do yourself a favor spend at least an extra week. If the budget is the major issue spend less time in cities like Paris and London especially. Spain also happens to be one of the most economical countries in Europe and was the highlight of our trip. That is if you love beaches, half naked women, sangria, paella, cheap cuban cigars, amazing people, etc...

One last piece of advice, go just before the summer as you will save money on hotels and run into less of you (tourists that is).

Have a blast,

Alan

I would go early Spring. Weather is less ideal, but crowds are down.

And I would echo what others have said. Slow down and plop. Discover someplace. You'll only get hurried snapshots if you go everywhere you're mentioning, IMO.

Also leave some flexibility in you plans. In other words, don't have reservations everywhere. The best opportunities are ones you discover along the way.

We spent weeks in one part of Paris (Latin quarter.) Became good friends with a cafe owner who insisted we stay in his family's home in Provence for a week. So, off we were to Provence to his 15th century stone house in the middle of beautiful nowhere.

Have fun and drink too much wine.

If you would like to make a "been three done that" trip you could do a trip to Europe in 2 weeks, but to me you have a lifetime of places to enjoy. I could easily stay 2 weeks in London, Paris, Madrid, Florence, etc.

It depends on what you would like to do in your trip, just a quick tour in the 3-5 most relevant (to you) capitals/cities you could do in that time.

Go to London, take eurostar to Paris, then the train to Madrid, and then maybe hit to Belgium and/or Italy could be the choice for me.

As much as I love Paris, I have to agree with what has been said about Spain. My two visits to Barcelona were great. However, as others have pointed out, your itinerary is already very ambitious. It may be best not to add more to what you already have in mind.

What I suggest to anyone planning on visiting Paris and/or me in Paris is this:

-- do your research. "Plans are meaningless but planning is essential"

-- if you don't already have them, invest in good walking shoes. I'm not talking about "flats" for your wife and loafers for you but really good walking shoes -- urban walkers. Paris is a very walkable city and that's the best way to experience it. But take pity on your feet.

-- although it seems obvious, get a street map of Paris. There are good, small ones that have bus routes, metro lines and streets for each arrondissement. Abandon the idea of square blocks and parallel streets. Streets can change names three times within a few hundred meters. It can be confusing. Even the natives have to resort to the map from time to time.

-- avoid Paris in August. Although the monuments and museums are open, a lot of businesses close down for large chunks of August. You miss a lot of the street life. And Paris is rich with street life. Same goes for Italy and, I think, Spain. I made the mistake of going to Venice/Bologna/Milano in August and, while it was still enjoyable, I think we missed something. Not to mention the LCDH in Milano was closed.

If I can be of any help, let me know.

» Thanks guys and keep it coming...this is just the kind of stuff I am

» looking for. Maybe leaning towards making Paris my base for two weeks and

» taking several jaunts out into the different regions during the stay.

This makes sense to me.

With the trains so easy to use and fast you can do great day trips or overnighters out of Paris.

My wife has been talking with the son of a friend. He's coming to Paris for ten days or so and wants to rent a car. In Paris? That's crazy talk. He says he wants to visit places outside of Paris. So hop on a train we say. There are so many great places within a short train trip that driving doesn't make sense to us. Hell, I did a day trip to Brussels to pick up some of the Ramon Allones REs. We've been here a little over three years and we've rented a car only twice -- once in Provence and once in Brittany.

Again, if I can help, get in touch.