Cape Town - South Africa

Lucky You!

Cape Town is one of my most favorite cities in the world. Be sure to check out Kennedy's on Long Street. It is an institution in Cape Town. Lots of good live music (jazz) and you can smoke cigars! You can purchase them there too.

Also, when I visit Cape Town I usually go to the Cock n Bull for cigars. They have a small walk in humidor that carries all the big Cuban Brands (Cohiba, HdM, H.Upmann, Partagas, R&J, Ramon Allones) and a variety of sizes, DCs, Robustos, petit coronas, corona gordas etc. It is located at the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront shopping centre. And if it is nice, smoking a CC with a view of the ocean and Table Mountain is hard to beat.

Have fun!!

» Hi

»

» I am off South Africa in April (Cape Town for 4 nights followed by a drive

» along the Garden Route).

»

» I was after some advice for buying Cubans in CT - prices/good shops etc.

»

» Cheers

Hey mate, was in South Africa in Jan 2007. Check out my story for European Cigar Cult Journal on South Africa at www.inlumino.com.au

Cape Town: Club Macanudo in the Shopping Centre in V&A Waterfront, Bascule Whisky Bar in Cape Grace Hotel always has cigar folk hanging out...drop a line to Bernard who is a forum member here...he is sure to want to meet up for a cigar. Sturk's tobacconist in down town area - Abe Bravo is a good guy to have a chat with. If you are going to Stellenbosch and Paarl for wine tasting head to the Grande Roche Hotel for a bite to eat and a cigar - the late Theo Rudman set up Bosman's cigar club here and they have a small selection.

Mr.T - not sure how recently you were in SA - when I was there Kennedy's was under new management and only had a small desktop humidor with stock there that looked like it was not in the best condition. It may have improved since then?...

Have fun!

Check out my story for European

» Cigar Cult Journal on South Africa at www.inlumino.com.au

Wow what a great site! First of all getting ECCJ here in the states is harder than getting havanas, so it was nice to be able to pull it up online. Does that page change with each issue?

I have been wanting to go to South Africa for such a long time now, but have never made it. My family has alot of history there...especially in Kimberly. One day....sigh. I wish it was easier to get to :-|

Ah ha

Another excuse for a party!

Kennedy's is a disaster. Cock 'n Bull is very good, Sturks is also.

Email me your dates and the honourable members of the Cigar Club of South Africa can arrange something.

As el senor habanablue knows, we enjoy a Cigar or two here at the tip of Africa!

Not sure of my dates yet (still have to book the flights!).

So what are the prices for cigars like? Being a Brit (and subject to eye watering UK prices) I'm always keen to stock up in country's that have less penal tobacco taxes.

Any thoughts on what the weather will be like for my trip? I'm hoping for a bit of sunshine and not to have to pack too many thick jumpers!

Also, restaurant recommendations would be great - somewhere decent to take the wife!

»

»

» Kennedy's is a disaster. Cock 'n Bull is very good, Sturks is also.

»

That is too bad about Kennedy's. I was in Cape Town in December but I have not been to Kennedy's for the past year or so. I hope things turn around at some point. Enjoy your trip!

» Ah ha

»

» Another excuse for a party!

»

» Kennedy's is a disaster. Cock 'n Bull is very good, Sturks is also.

»

» Email me your dates and the honourable members of the Cigar Club of South

» Africa can arrange something.

»

» As el senor habanablue knows, we enjoy a Cigar or two here at the tip of

» Africa!

Your timing is impeccable Bernard....absent from the board for a while but a sniff od SA comes up and you are here straight away!:-D

Hope all is well mate...how is your buddy Russell Christopher going?

cheers....

» Not sure of my dates yet (still have to book the flights!).

»

» So what are the prices for cigars like? Being a Brit (and subject to eye

» watering UK prices) I'm always keen to stock up in country's that have

» less penal tobacco taxes.

»

» Any thoughts on what the weather will be like for my trip? I'm hoping for

» a bit of sunshine and not to have to pack too many thick jumpers!

»

» Also, restaurant recommendations would be great - somewhere decent to take

» the wife!

Not trying to score brownie points here or try and get a t shirt from Rob & Lisa, but the reality is that Rob & Lisas operation is the best place to buy cigars. Quite a few of us have compared prices and Rob & Lisa get the best reviews on price and service. Taxes in SA are the same as the UK - very high. PM me and I will give you details.

The weather is good, never very cold, maybe a bit wet sometimes in winter. Nothing like the UK. Check the CNN website for details.

Restaurants - www.caveau.co.za - Aubergine, 95 Keerom, Magica Roma - Gavin - can you add to the list? Depends what you are looking for.

As it happens I spent the afternoon at the Bascule yesterday with Russel & two other Cigar lovers. One of the perks of working flexitime. And the Bascule quickly descended into a Cigar and Whisky lovers haven, with the worldwide brand manager from one of the large Whisky companies arriving, armed with some samples. Then a mate in the booze industry arrived with some Pyrat Rum & Patron tequila. It was a really tough afternoon in Cape Town. We were forced into ploughing through some classic Cubans to complement the great booze.

And how far up the garden route are you going?

» Hi

»

» I am off South Africa in April (Cape Town for 4 nights followed by a drive

» along the Garden Route).

»

» I was after some advice for buying Cubans in CT - prices/good shops etc.

»

» Cheers

Jealous am I!!!

I was in Cape Town and Durban about seven years ago on business... The flight from Atlanta to Cape Town was kind of ugly, but the rest of the trip was a dream!

I've only been back once since - and that was just for a long layover en-route to Kenya.

Can't wait to get back and have some free time to walkabout...