Partagas 8-9-8 Varnished GSO MAY 07

» Very nice review. The dalias size is a favorite of mine. Alas, there are

» few remaining in the Habanos line up.

what are some of your other favorites in this size, Colt?

» what are some of your other favorites in this size, Colt?

The unfortunately discontinued Ramon Allones 898V is, in my opinion, a stellar Havana.

A cigar that does not get much mention, but I feel is pretty solid, is the Bolivar Inmensas.

It is a very nice cigar that perhaps is overshadowed by others of the marque.

I feel that this size is a great combination of length and girth.

» excuse my ignorance. what is the difference between a 898 and a 898

» Varnished? thanks

Presentation - one box is simply varnished and this is typically considered a better container for long term storage (slows aging which in turn gives better end result)

Not sure I phrased that right but I hope you get the idea.

And I agree - these are delightful - yet another one for Partagas!

» » excuse my ignorance. what is the difference between a 898 and a 898

» » Varnished? thanks

»

» Presentation - one box is simply varnished and this is typically

» considered a better container for long term storage (slows aging which in

» turn gives better end result)

»

» Not sure I phrased that right but I hope you get the idea.

»

» And I agree - these are delightful - yet another one for Partagas!

Actually the Varnished and Unvarnished are two different cigars, even different sizes. See Trevor's page, the Unvarnished was discontinued in 2002.

[link]http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/brands/partagas.htm[/link]

Very nice review!

In addition to those already mentioned, I find the Cohiba Siglo V to be a fine, albeit pricey, member of the Dalia club.

Sure wish the RA 898s would come back. :-(

» Very nice review!

»

» In addition to those already mentioned, I find the Cohiba Siglo V to be a

» fine, albeit pricey, member of the Dalia club.

»

» Sure wish the RA 898s would come back. :-(

I was wondering about those, Tigger, so thanks for the note. There are only a couple of reviews of the V on the board here, and it looks like El Presidente has had a hard time warming up to it, according to his notes.

Was thinking about picking up a 5-pack, and would love to get some additional feedback if members have any thoughts to share.

To my brother in arms, very nice review on a cigar that just moved to my short-list for purchase...

I do believe a couple boxes are in order, especially if they smoke so well young. One box can go into the daily rotation, and the other can take a long nap in the humidor...

Jack

» » I think you need a larger humidor. Nice review, Really summed up what I remeber about these sticks, cannot wait to try one of mine, if the temperature ever gets above freezing again.

» » » I think you need a larger humidor. Nice review, Really summed up what I

» remeber about these sticks, cannot wait to try one of mine, if the

» temperature ever gets above freezing again.

don't even go there on the humidor. My next step will be to just finish out an enclosed, climate-controlled space in the attic. No guts, no glory.

And I'm looking forward to hearing how these 898s smoke for you as well. POST A REVIEW!:lol:

• 1 month later...

» Hey Charles, thanks for the nice review! :-)

Sure thing, Craig. Glad you liked it. This was a great smoke.

» I love the ashing pic.

Thanks . . . I stole that idea from CIGARHead, who's done it in a handful of his reviews.

• 7 months later...

This cigar was part of my first non-sampler purchase from the Czar, and I’ve been looking forward to firing one up since I received them a month or so ago.

I’m not gonna bury the lede—I loved this cigar.

The Partagas 8-9-8 is a longer, thinner ring gauge cigar (170 x 43), compared to the Robustos I’ve been smoking lately. To my eyes at least, it’s a very elegant looking cigar.

image5674.jpg

image5675.jpg

The wrapper was a little toothy in spots, and the aroma at cold was a comfortable barnyard, funky smell. Earthy and welcoming. I punched the cap, and the pre-light draw was perfect, with a slight toasty flavor, and small bit of sweetness on the lips.

image5676.jpg

Toasted the foot, fired it up with a cedar spill, and away we went.

First third

image5677.jpg

• The draw continues to be perfect. So perfect that I realize how truly loose in draw the last few sticks I’ve smoked have been. Note to self—this is what a perfect draw is like.

• Picking up flavors of coffee, roasted nuts, and some kind of spice . . . in the neighborhood of a cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice.

• I really love the way this cigar feels in the hand—nicely balanced.

• My accompanying drink is an iced coffee, with just a splash of Irish Whiskey for flavor, and the cinnamon I used when I brewed the pot this morning is a perfect companion.

• The ash is stable, light grey in color.

• I’m not getting the full-bodied feel that many of the reviews on the board comment on, but it’s definitely a solid medium.

Second third

image5678.jpg

• Flavors are very stable, very comforting, and very very good.

• The burn is clean, though at a slight angle. I’m gonna have to get a little more disciplined about rotating cigars in the humidor, or at least planning a smoke a little further ahead, so I can dry-box it.

• I’m beginning to pick up a slight hint of honey, with a definite cumulative sweetness on the lips.

• There’s no harshness at all in this cigar. I wrote in my notes, “smooth perfection.”

Final third

image5679.jpg

• Things get a little interesting with the draw . . . it tightens up considerably. So much so that I re-clip, to open it up a bit. Works like a charm.

• Flavors are staying very consistent, and I now notice a very faint floral hit. Like the sweetness, it seems cumulative, so it may have been there all along, and I’m just picking it up.

• Down the home stretch, the bitterness of the tar shows up, as does the tingle on the lips.

• The flavors fade until the only consistent note at the end is toasted nuts.

• After an hour and a half I put down this very enjoyable cigar, and take the CigarHEAD tribute glory photo.

image5680.jpg

I really loved this cigar, and can’t wait to see how they age, and how the remaining sticks out of this box show up over time.

I’d give this one a personal 94/100.