Ramon Allones RE AP Estupendos!

Ramon Allones RE AP Estupendos!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Appearance- 9/10

Ash- 8/10

Draw- 7/10

Burn- 7/10

F/B- 20/30

Unq- 5/10

Smoke- 7/10

Fin- 6/10

Tot- 69/100

Length: 7”

Ring gauge: 47

Size: Church

Color: Natural

Maybe I had a dud, or maybe I built this cigar up too much in my head before trying it, but this Asian pacific regional release was in my opinion a huge let down. On the outside it fooled me with its nice smooth natural wrapper and its appealing band presentation. The ash was a dark grey color that took a dysmorphic pattern that upon being ashed showed to be coning on the inside. It was however decently sturdy and created a hill-like landscaping burn pattern, and it had to be relit a few times throughout the smoke. The draw was laboring for the first third of the cigar and thus the smoke was scant, but it opened up after I passed the hard spot and the smoke it produced improved a little. This cigar was a light/medium bodied smoke that never got real complex. It had a an earthy core with no apparent underlying hints of anything at all. It was extremely one dimensional and I can only conclude that this is due to its still relatively young age. It was really quite a boring smoke that definitely needs to age some more before being a smokable stick. It finished bitterly and I had to put it down with about a third left to smoke, because it was really unsatisfying. For the price, there are much better smokes out there, and for a special release I definitely expected more. Hopefully these will improve over time and come to represent Ramon Allones better. Or… maybe I just got the runt in the box. Only time will tell.

Anybody else had this one???? Id love to know what you think.

I've had a few. There have been some tight draws, and to me, they are still quite youthful.

There have been glimpses of great flavor though, and I have high hopes for these in the future.

Right now, I don't feel these are quite in the same class as the Bolivar CG or Upmann Sir Winston.

They may be some day, but in my opinion, today is not that day.

» I've had a few. There have been some tight draws, and to me, they are still

» quite youthful.

» There have been glimpses of great flavor though, and I have high hopes for

» these in the future.

» Right now, I don't feel these are quite in the same class as the Bolivar

» CG or Upmann Sir Winston.

» They may be some day, but in my opinion, today is not that day.

Virtually my exact same experience with these.

I smoked a few when they first came out and then let them rest until about a month ago when I gave another a try. None were really bad, but they weren't nearly as good fresh as the last one was. Not as strong as some might have liked, but I think these will be very good in time.

How long had you had them before smoking them? Did they have adequate time to rest before you gave it a go?

I smoked one of these the weekend of the 10th. That example was quite a tight roll and needed to be poked. The first third was supremely flat, boring and I thought several times about setting it down. Before the half way point the flavor really picked up and the last third was quite excellent. The middle of the cigar was the most complex, though not very, and showed several interesting changes from leather, cedar, earth and coffee. I was so glad I didn't set it down since the last bit was stronger and fuller bodied, and the word that comes to mind is when Claudius said 'rich'. Not your typical RA. Good but not great. I'll try another in six months or a year.

I finally got around to smoking one of these this past Thursday evening. Very nice prelight draw with no draw issues. I found the first 2/3's to be quite enjoyable and a medium bodied smoke. But the last third really intensified and started to kick my butt. Luckily food came or this thing would have made me light headed. Think it needs more time to smooth out and mellow. That last third was strong, tannic and a bit amonia to it. But I really think these will be quite impressive in a few years.