Ramon Allones Specially Selected Gran Robusto TEB SEP 07

Claudius

Ramon Allones Specially Selected Gran Robusto (Exclusivo Benelux) TEB SEP 07

RASSGR7.jpg

Here's a nice and round RASSGR from a SLB of 50. They were made in the Partagas factory and put in these appealing boxes in September 2007. These were released in SPBs of 25 and in SLBs of 50, in very small numbers. As you can you on the picture below, only 204 SLBs of 50 were made!

RASSGR8.jpg

This Dobles (50 ring gauge and 155 mm or 6.1 inches long) is Colorado in color and appears to be well-constructed with no soft or hard spots. The wrapper feels thin, fragile but very smooth. The foot appears nicely bunched and firm.

RASSGR6.jpg

Pre-light aroma is an ever-so-slightly sweet but fruity / floral impression. The wrapper leaves a sweet aroma on the lips. Draw appears easy yet slightly resistive; probably around 45 on the tester.

Setting the foot on fire will be a great opportunity to show off my "Africa" lighter. The foot catches fire rapidly by turning it for about 40 seconds above the flame. This is quite fast for such a ring gauge. I put the cigar in my mouth without using the lighter and take a draw. I turn the cigar around and see an evenly lit foot. Nice :-)

RASSGR5.jpg

The first puffs reveal medium thick yet very aromatic smoke that appears medium-bodied. The aroma is slightly sweet, fruity and a little floral. It has the typical Ramon Allones spice that tickles your tongue and makes your mind go crazy trying to determine what this or that aroma was that you tasted for a fraction of a second.

RASSGR3.jpg

The ash is solid and the cigar burns straight. After half an inch, a hint of nuts appears and joins the spicy, fruity, slightly floral mix of aromas. I personally love this slightly fruitier-than usual-RA profile, but I have to confess that the body may be a hint lighter than I'd like.

RASSGR2.jpg

Into the second third, the fruit evolves into what Rob calls "stewed fruit" and the spice evolves into a slightly creamy, leathery texture. The smoke has become thicker, and after it is expressed, it leaves a salty layer on the tongue. The burn has become a little uneven without requiring intervention and the ash is still rock solid.

RASSGR12.jpg

RASSGR10.jpg

As we start getting into the last third, the smoke gets really thick and rich. Not to the point where you need a knife and fork like with an Estupendo, but very thick and rich nonetheless. The fruit is on its way out as the spice gets serious and peppery. I'm enjoying this part immensely and am probably smoking the Dobles a little too fast as it now gets very spicy: my tongue and palate feels like I have put a piece of habanero pepper in there just to see how hot that may be :D

I'm almost down to the nub enjoying every second of the trip when I hear my baby son crying through the speaker. Not surprised; after all, how would you react when you wake up and have bars all around you and cant get out of there? Time to lay the cigar down and pick the baby up.

RASSGR11.jpg

In summary, I would say that this cigar is extremely complex, a large but nonetheless appealing format, lacking a little bit of strength. I'm not sure why, but I think this cigar will age extremely well and become a fantastic, highly complex Gran Robusto.

91 with a potential of 94.

raphael2.jpg

Very Nice review and photos Claudius. I too can relate, I rarely light up a big cigar as you know the chances of finishing it are very slim.during baby nap time..LOL

» Ah, the nap cigar, I know it well. The call of the monitor always comes

» too soon.

»

» Damn how long you let him cry? Look at that nose. Musta been a good

» cigar. :-D

»

» Nice review. And where the hell is Benelux?

» Damn how long you let him cry? Look at that nose. Musta been a good

» cigar. :-D

»

» Nice review. And where the hell is Benelux?

LOL... the picture is actually from last week when he had a bit of a flu...

Benelux is the name for an economic union of the countries of Belgium, Netherlands and Luxemburg. That's north of France and west of Germany.

Excellent review and pix, Mr. C. As you described it, I was reminded of the Estupendo. Did you find them to be similar? I really enjoy the RA profile.

It would have been really cute if you had put the cigar in the baby's mouth for the photo. But, then, I suppose that would have been a form of child abuse. Do as I say, not as I do. :-P

Great review and pics, man. and damn! I love that ashtray! Have you said where you got that?

» raphael2.jpg

» In summary, I would say that he is extremely complex, a large but

» nonetheless appealing format, lacking a little bit of strength. I'm not

» sure why, but I think he will age extremely well and become a

» fantastic, highly complex Gran Robusto.

» 91 with a potential of 94

I'm in the mood for silly jokes tonight :-P

» Excellent review and pix, Mr. C. As you described it, I was reminded of the

» Estupendo. Did you find them to be similar?

Yes and no: yes in the sense that they have the RA profile and significant complexity and are similar in vitola to a certain extend. Definitely from the same family; and no in the sense that the Estupendo is much more present right from the start and throughout the smoke. "Stronger, harder, faster" if you will :-D

» I really enjoy the RA profile.

It's my favorite :-)

» It would have been really cute if you had put the cigar in the baby's

» mouth for the photo. But, then, I suppose that would have been a form of

» child abuse. Do as I say, not as I do. :-P

LOL. I let the 3 year old brother of this baby take a (unlit) Lusi into his mouth once, pretending to be smoking for a few seconds. When I took the cigar away, I asked him: "Is it good?" and he nodded and replied "It's good", paused and added "it's wood".

» LOL. I let the 3 year old brother of this baby take a (unlit) Lusi into

» his mouth once, pretending to be smoking for a few seconds. When I took

» the cigar away, I asked him: "Is it good?" and he nodded and replied "It's

» good", paused and added "it's wood".

Excellent review and incredible pictures.

My youngest daughter would always grab for a cigar and say, "chocolate!"

» Great review and pics, man. and damn! I love that ashtray! Have you said

» where you got that?

The ashtray was gifted to me years ago... In the USA, you can find them at our friend Mark's (www.cigarmony.com) or any other authorized Dupont dealer. The new models are very nice (and pricey!)

Excellent review and pictures.:clap:

Matthew gifted me one and I smoked it right away. I enjoyed it immensely. What struck me was the richness, sweetness and heaviness of the tobacco flavor, at times, almost reminiscent of high quality, fresh pipe tobacco.

How do I get more of these?!

Thanks for the review.

I really appreciate the descriptive and visual reviews here on FOH.

The review is very reassuring, too. I picked up a few on a recent visit to Brussels and I'm confident they are going to be good. But now I'm torn between smoking one or two now or sitting on all them for another six or eight or ?? months.