PARTAGAS SERIE DU CONNAISSEUR # 3

» I know Rob and lots of other members enjoy these on a regular basis. My

» question is, being a thinner ring gauge, do these expire or become

» flavorless quicker? Also, are these good fresh or do they need some age?

Check out this thread:

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/board_entr...id=66766#p66991

In my opinion, they are very good now ('06s anyway), And should get better - without losing flavor.

Perhaps just lose the rough edges.

I love this cigar.

I just finished a box not long ago and need to re-order. So, I'll give you my impressions. I kind of compare all shorter, thin ring guage cigars to the Montecristo #4 as I find it woodsy, creamy, that builds into a peppery finish. Just what I like, a cigar that builds in flavor.

Having said that, the Conny#3 is very good. The #4 is not always a great cigar, sometimes the flavors come across muted and it does not always build in strength the way I know it can. The Conny#3 is very consistent, always a great cigar in my experience. Very reminiscent of the mid to final thirds of the #4, a bit medium smoke and peppery. The Conny#3 does not come across muted or lose flavor at all.

So in my experience I would rate the #3 higher than the #4 due to consistency. But when I get a #4 that is "on", there aren't many cigars I find more enjoyable. Hope that helped.

» flavorless quicker?

No. I was given one from 1988 by Mr. Portmann himself last year, and it was very strong in flavor, not weak or expired like some 70s RyJ or something. Ask Tom Bolivar, he was there with me and smoked one, too. I think we agreed that it was the best Partagas cigar we had ever smoked.

» Also, are these good fresh or do they need some age?

They're good fresh, but like almost all habanos they improve with age! Buy as many as you can!

I've smoked around 8 or 9 from my box of '95s and all have been excellent. Still strong and earthy.....I imagine they will still be excellent cigars for decades to come!

They evolve with age.

I enjoy them young as they are immensely rich and satisfying to 3 years. They evolve into a sweeter note come 5 years but maintain their intensity. Ken and I have purchased 7-10 year old boxes in Havana which vary from rich, flavoursome and smooth to simply smooth and refined. Storage I think is the issue. A great Connie 3 must be rich in flavour.