Hello to the friends of Habanos

steveo

Hello Everybody,

I am glad to be part of this site. I recently started smoking more cigars than I have in the past and decided that I should learn more. I thought I smoked cuban cigars in the past in Cancun and the Bahamas, but from what I have read recently I most likely smoked fake ones. I had a couple of Cuabas in the Bahamas though that I think might have been the real thing. They were pretty good. I have also had a couple of cigars recently from my local shop that I thought were good. A Cuesta-Rey Pyramides No. 9 and Rocky Patel 1992.

I experienced a bad cigar the other day that didn't burn right from the very start. Totally bummed me out. Could have been from the initial lighting, I don't know. Anyway I am taking the lighting more serious now. Does anyone know why they burn down the side and never really correct throughout the smoke? Is that common?

Steveo

Welcome Steveo.....:waving:

Your problem may be incorrect lighting but more likely a storage problem. What temperature & humidity do you keep your cigars? How long was that "badly burning cigar" held before smoking?

» Thanks for the welcome and your reply. I just purchased the cigar from the store which has a walk-in humidor, went outside and lit it up. I've had a few that burned funny toward the end or in the middle, but this was the first that started out bad from the beginning. I tried to correct it by lighting it more, but it just burned terrible during the whole smoke. The ash looked funny too. I suspect there was something wrong with the cigar, but I'm not sure. That's why I was wondering if others have experienced the same thing, kinda like a corked bottle of wine.

Steveo

Hi Steveo

The bad burn can come from bad storage (common), bad construction (uncommon) or because it's too young and hasnt "equilibrated" yet. Not sure where you got the cigar from as you didnt say which part of the world you're from. I'm in Europe btw, so hello from Europe :-)

Regarding the lighting, you can either light the cigar by holding a burning torch lighter close to the foot for about 15 s, or by using a normal soft flame lighter but this will take much longer.

Thanks for the welcome Claudis. I live in the United States, more specifically southern california. What part of Europe do you live in? I have been to different parts of Italy and Paris.

Those torch lighters seem very effective and I may look into getting one, but right now I am using a soft flame lighter. The guy at the shop I frequent indicated I should twirl the cigar in my hand 360 degrees on the flame prior to putting it in my mount to light. That way I burns the end around the edges. I have seen this method in another site's instructional material before so I am starting to do it.

Steveo

Steveo, I agree with the guys above - smokeshop walk-ins are notorious for being a bit on the "wet" side.

This can certainly cause a poor burning and sour tasting cigar. There's plenty of good reading to be

found here - make the search function your friend :-)

Welcome to FOH.

» Welcome Steveo!

»

» Do yourself a favour and get that humidity down to 65 % RH. Buy a 65% Puck

» from www.cigarmoney.com and you will experience a world of difference in

» flavour and burn.

LOL, it's cigarmony.com as in cigar and harmony, not cigar and money! :-D Freudian slip, huh? ;-)