Your favourite Cigar Lighter

Guest Sailor

» Whatdo you use to fire up and ...why? :wink:

Right now I'm using one of the new Zippo inserts. Does an OK job but is a bit light on the fuel capacity. I guess I've tried about all of them, expensive ( $50 + and cheap <$10). Best value and performance goes to the Pioneer, a Blazer knock off. Single flame, good fuel capacity, metal/composit case, reasonable size to carry in your pocket. They are less than $10 most of the time and last me about 6 months at 3+ cigars a day.

Ok, I remember reading somewhere that Cubans often take splinters of Spanish cedar and use them to ignite their cigars… so I took that a step farther and now use the cedar veneer that I find so thoughtfully (thanks Lisa!)packed with my sticks from Oz, cutting it into long thin strips. I find that when I use these strips, it imparts a bit of cedar flavor right off the bat… oh, and it’s most economical too!

Which brings to mind, where are the accessories on the C-C home page?:confused:

»

After trying a few different types, my favourite is a cheap no-name lighter I picked up in a small tobacconist store in Sydney, which has 3 flame settings, + a compass on top in case I get lost!!

My next fav. is a cool retro butane lighter which I found when clearing out my grandma's house in South Africa after she passed away. No name brand, just silver, thin & styley

Mainly cheap torch lighters. I did get a DuPont Extend Habanos Flame as a gift about a 1 1/2 years ago that has been excellent, it never leaves my office and lights about 2-5 cigars a week.

Colbri lighters are crap everyone I've had has been sent back at least once:-(

A Compass!!!!!!! I need one of those :lol2:

Actually I need one that can also pay and post bail in three languages.

I have used literally hundreds of lighters. We need a turbo lighter here as almost all of our cigar enjoying is done outside on the boat, the BBq, Golf etc. There is always a 15 knott wind blowing.

I have tried several top end turbo lighters and have found DuPont and Dunhill to be the best. Others starting with P and C respectively are next to useless when it comes to longevity.

The problem I have is that I tend to lose my lighters with *** abandon (*** in the straight laissezfaire way....not that there is anything wrong with the other "***" way).

Blazer type turbo's do it for me. I prefer the ones that look a million dollars as opposed to the hard fluro plastic versions.

My go-to lighter is the Dunhill Sports Lighter Turbo torch rhodiné. It's a great torch lighter that performes well while looking great. I also purchased some matches from the Davidoff store in NY along with a really nice matchbox holder. Just something else to waste my $$ on!:-P

• 1 month later...

I have a few nice lighters, and I really like most of them.

I use the Colibri Trifecta triple flame torch for large ring cigars, it's got a nice large fuel tank but feels a bit bulky sometimes....and either my Colibri Edge lighter or DuPont X-tend for smaller ring guages. I also have this nice matte black Prometheus torch that's been a great reliable lighter for several years and never fails me. As a novelty, the Colibri Beam Sensor is kinda cool too, but not the best for larger cigars or when it's windy.

I think it's all a matter of chance with lighters, sometimes a $20.00 lighter works better and outlasts a $150.00 lighter regardless of brand name in my experiences. I am also sure to try the lighter out at the store and make sure it works good, if it doesn't work good in the store, it probably won't work any better when you get it home. Of course that's hard to do if you buy online.

I also use the Vector quintuple refined fuel, I think it works way better than most of the others.

Not really sure why a lot of guys don't like the Colibri's, I've always had decent luck with them.

I use two lighters about 50/50

#1 Dunhill Sports Lighter -- Turbo torch Rhodiné

-the only torch lighter offered by Dunhill

#2 Dupont XTend Habanos Version

Both are great, but I give the Dunhill the nod in looks and a tie in performance. If I didn't spend all my money buying cigars, a good amount would go to lighters.:-D

sat down last night and pulled out the you-beaut habanos nibo all bells and whistles, neatly packaged thing they gave us at the festival dinner. had not used it before. not a spark. so not it.

whatever works. magnifying glass on a hot day, if necessary.

» Looking to find out what the preferred Cigar lighter is purchased

» by the average cigar "Punter".

»

A zippo, has worked for 10 years now, no problems.

• 3 years later...

Long matches mate.

Got a whole collection of Zippos. Don't use 'em. Petrol & Cubans don't go y'know.

Won most of 'em of drunken Yank sailors! :lol3:

Wot we need is one o them fancy turbo jobs emblazoned wiv FOH logo 'n Winnie's fu** off V sign.

Now there's a marketing opportunity! Get one free with a box of 25 PS2's.

Rob. You getting this?

image4.gif