Cohiba Pyramide from Seleccion Piramides Box

Cohiba Pyramide

LLN SEP 03

Picked up 2 of the Seleccion Piramides Box sets while in the Promised Land and after Ken's not so great review of the Hoyo in this box, thought I would blaze up the Cohiba.

Overall construction not bad, mine had a small tear in the wrapper which thankfully didn't affect the burn when it reached that point. Beautiful, smooth milk coffee coloured wrapper with one of the nicest draws that I haven't experienced for awhile.

1st part of cigar started off with a nice burn but muted flavours of cocoa and slight hints of cream. The second half of the cigar definitely picked up with stronger coffee taste and a sweet note I couldn't quite put my finger on...almost a cinnamon flavour to it. End third picked up with more spice and finshed off well. Nothing compared to other Cohiba's I have enjoyed but pleasant none the less.

There must have been something in the air last night. Caught up with an old mate up from Melbourne for a conference and after a very long evening (including a reverse Matty Byrne effort where I tried speaking Spanish, or the three words I know, to some Japanese girls, who turned out to speak near-perfect English), adjourned to the beach as he wanted to try a cigar (Rob would have been proud of the selling job I did on the Hoyo Seleccion Pyramide to this bloke - have to find some way of getting rid of them - but he was happy). I grabbed the Cohiba from the same box (LLN Feb 04) and must say that it was a hell of a lot better than the Hoyo. I think the Habanablue review was spot on. 90.

I've had a couple from '03 Seleccion Piramide boxes and they both plugged towards the end. I'm wondering if these aren't a bit overhumidified right out of their box. They do have quite a lingering aftertaste.

The Seleccion Robustos are the better vitola of the 2, but I'd prefer to spend the money on a box with more smokes in it.

sorry to hear you guys havnt been overly impressed with the cohiba from the box. ive only had 1 of the selection boxes and i found the cohiba to be one of the best cigars ive ever had. the box code on my box is. didnt have a chance to sample the hoyo as a friend had that one.

LLN OCT03

• 1 month later...

» sorry to hear you guys havnt been overly impressed with the cohiba from the

» box. ive only had 1 of the selection boxes and i found the cohiba to be one

» of the best cigars ive ever had. the box code on my box is. didnt have a

» chance to sample the hoyo as a friend had that one.

»

» LLN OCT03

I enjoyed the cigars immensley until they plugged. Again, I think they may have been overhumidified. The Robusto boxes seemed had bolder flavors to me as the Pyramide boxes were fairly mild smokes. The Partagas Seried D No. 4 in the Seleccion box is probably one of the best young cigars I've ever enjoyed.