Partagas Serie De Connoisseur No 1 GSO MAY 06

» Great review, Rob. I really enjoy the Connoisseurs. Nice to know that the

» 06s are promising.

»

» Looks like the head of that cigar got a bit wet on you. When I do that it

» tends to turn the flavor harsh. Did you keep it in your mouth while you

» were typing?

I occasionally get carried away with an idea as I tap away and hence the cigar is in my mouth longer than normal :lol:

This cigar is really my personal favorite of all Habanos. It speaks Partagás! The sweet peppery spice, Rob your description is truly excellent as it arouses all the senses and tantalizes the palate with both soft, middle and high notes of complexity and flavor. The Partagás Serie du Connaisseur No.1 is a Classical "Old School" Habanos that I love dearly.

Tampa

» Thanks for the review/pics !:-)

That is an impressive looking cigar. I generally do not like cigars that are that long. However, there are times when I wish my petit corona or SDC #3 lasted longer.

I've had my #3s for some time now, maybe a few months. At first they were a bit boring with a one dimensional woody profile as Colt suggested in a review.

After some rest the mid-last 1/3 has really come alive and is bringing more spice, and the wood is a bit more bold. They are quickly becoming one of my favorite cigars in my possession, still behind my Por Larranaga PCs and Monte #4s I should say. I am impressed with the #3, I'd like to try one of the #1s to see what the fuss is about.

Nice review, Rob. Nice pix, too. Just looking at that cigar makes my mouth water. The Partagas Connaisseur No. 1, when properly aged, is perhaps the most complex cigar in the Habanos inventory. As you progress through its unique "journey", it reveals everything from habanero peppers to tart and sweet key lime pie. And a few other nuances that can only be imagined... until you smoke one.

Lisa sent me my first box of these, dated JUL03. Little did I know that this was smack-dab in the middle of one of the finest Connaisseur production runs of all time. Not even the mid to late 90's are as strong and complex, IMO, though they sure can be sweet and sassy.

All Hail, the King! The undisputed monarch of the House of Partagas. May you reign for a thousand years. (and you, too, Czar!)

• 1 year later...

Had some extra e-mails this morning and a proposal to write so I selected a Partagas Connoisseur No 1 to accompany me and my coffee.

Great construction. Slightly furry wrapper. Smell at cold was sweet paprika and bales of hay. Clipped the cap, great draw. Paprika and chikory on the tongue.

I love holding this vitola particularly when I am writing a proposal. It is like holding one of the worlds great pens.....just holding it makes you feel smarter :lol:

image2522.jpg

image2523.jpg

image2524.jpg

image2525.jpg

Torched the foot....rocked back in the chair and relaxed as I gave some consideration as to what I was to write.

Whenever I light a Connoisseur No 1, 2 or 3......the same thing goes through my mind...."This is Partagas". No other cigar defines Partagas like the Connoisseur series. There may have been blend changes elsewhere but not in these. They still reflect everything that is great about this Marque.

Straight toasted tobacco flavour on the palate. Medium bodied. Sweet paprika note but in essence it starts with unadulterated pure quality tobacco. Good white pepper spice through the nose. God bless it.

image2526.jpg

The body slowly becomes stronger but in terms of flavour it remains consistent with just the addition of bitter cooking chocolate. Entrancing mix along with the sweet paprika, white pepper and toasted tobacco.

image2527.jpg

No change to the flavour. No element of harshness. Hard to believe it is a May 06 cigar. Kudos to whoever is repsonsible. Perfect harmony of pepper and sweet spice with a core of quality tobacoco. There are some cigars that you know will age well and this is one of them. It won't take too long (3-6 years) and you will be rewarded by a denser flavoured cigar combining Partagas Paprika spice and an evolving of the sweet spices and bitter chocolate. It will be a classic Partagas Connoisseur No 1.

I couldn't fault this cigar. 89/100 4/6 smokerings now.....but a potential 95/100 in the years to come.

image2528.jpg

image2529.jpg