cohiba maduro 5 genios

» Ken,

»

» Any similarities to either the regular production cohibas or the LE's such

» as the Sublime, Double corona, etc...?

probably a bit extreme for me to be making definitive statements on the basis of one cigar but i thought that there were certainly some similarities - topnotch quality, subtle, etc etc but assuming you are referring more to specific flavours. i think that perhaps i would think of them more in common with the best of the usual cohibas rather than the LE's - though a while since i have tried either the sublime or DC. i'm thinking of those LE's as more powerful than the maduro line up but this is only on the basis of trying one of the three cigars on one occasion.

» believe june/july. not in the little boxes of three - they were just for

» the preview. they will be in dark varnished boxes of 10 and 25. and not

» cheap.

and will these new boxes come complete with a certain reflection on them ......:-)

• 1 year later...

At the Festival in Havana this year, we were given a presentation pack of three (one of each of the new Maduro 5 line - Genios [52/140], Magicos [52/115] and Secretos [40/100]) - see the photos, if I can get them to work - and also a sample of a single Genios at the event that night.

image2387.jpg

I held off smoking it at the time as I knew if I did, any real sort of appreciation would be diminished by the occasion, so brought it back and tried it last night.

image2388.jpg

Appearance was superb. Dark wrapper and giving every indication of immaculate construction. Smelt cold, it had earthy, truffly notes. Even as young as it is, this was a gorgeous cigar and one that gives every indication of becoming a classic in time. It opened with flavours of creamy coffee and remained subtle, complex and mildly flavoured throughout. Hints of dark chocolate soon crept in. This is a deeply flavoured cigar, offering dense smoke and excellent concentration of flavours without ever becoming overwhelming. The burn was as near perfect as imaginable, slow and consistently even. The complexity built as it smoked and there was never a hint of any excess heat. Looks to have a great future. Top match with a really good rum. 95.

image2389.jpgimage2390.jpg