Cohiba Robustos

For myself, I am not a big fan of the Cohiba line besides the ELs. IMO A very overhyped cigar that in years has really gone down hill.

Last night had a CoRo from my box from Mar 04. I have 3 left now and will let them stay there for atleast a year to see if any improvement.

A very dull, musty taseting cigar. Tasted like a cheap Dominican cigar. Actually the whole box has been not even a cigar that I could reccomend. What you hear on any cigar board is the praise from all on this is the favorite Robusto of most. I cnat see what the big hype is.

The only cigars from Cohiba that I would reccomend would be the El series, Cohiba Siglo 1 & 2 and now working through a box of 2002 Siglo 3.

Otherwise I would tell others why pay for the name Cohiba when there are many other Cuban cigars thar are less expensive and have amazeing flavor.

SO leads me to ask.... What are your thoughts on the Cohiba line ? More so on the Robustos?

» For myself, I am not a big fan of the Cohiba line besides the ELs. IMO A

» very overhyped cigar that in years has really gone down hill.

» Last night had a CoRo from my box from Mar 04. I have 3 left now and will

» let them stay there for atleast a year to see if any improvement.

»

» A very dull, musty taseting cigar. Tasted like a cheap Dominican

» cigar. Actually the whole box has been not even a cigar that I could

» reccomend. What you hear on any cigar board is the praise from all on

» this is the favorite Robusto of most. I cnat see what the big hype is.

»

» The only cigars from Cohiba that I would reccomend would be the El

» series, Cohiba Siglo 1 & 2 and now working through a box of 2002 Siglo 3.

»

»

» Otherwise I would tell others why pay for the name Cohiba when there

» are many other Cuban cigars thar are less expensive and have amazeing

» flavor.

»

» SO leads me to ask.... What are your thoughts on the Cohiba line ? More

» so on the Robustos?

Other than the Siglo VI, I have not been a fan of any cohiba :-(

Habanohal

The singularly best cigar tasting experience of my life happened last year.

I was at home with a bottle of something watching the kids play on a late Saturday afternoon. I went to the home humidor and pulled out a loner (something that has been seperated and been around for a while). It was a Cohiba Robusto from 98/99.

Well, this cigar gave the most intense display of Cohiba cream and honey imagineable. One of those cigars that you have to prop, stop and look at the cigar and say "bloody hell".

Mesmerising, intense, complex, lush...are all applicable adjectives.

My experience with Cohiba is.....within 3 months of being boxed or not within 3 years. I have had fresh Cohiba Robusto's from the rolling tables which are delicios. Strong, bold, hedonistically rich but not complex. Within 6 months the same cigars become confused, listless, flavourless and uninspiring before evolving again in 30 months time.

There are plenty of underfilled Cohiba Robusto's from 2003 that should be avoided alltogether but outside of that, time will solve the dilemma.

I’m with you on this one El P… back in June, I enjoyed a CoRo that I had purchased from you as a single… well, you would have thought that Avelino Lara himself had handed me this particular stick… so rich and creamy, voluminous smoke… I just kept looking at it at arms length thinking, “Wow, incredible.”

I promptly ordered a box for aging and a half dozen singles for now, only to find the singles very flat. No doubt, that particular single was an anomaly off the shelf, but have taken Tampa’s advise and set the box aside for a good 5 year aging.

» I’m with you on this one El P… back in June, I enjoyed a CoRo that I had

» purchased from you as a single… well, you would have thought that Avelino

» Lara himself had handed me this particular stick… so rich and creamy,

» voluminous smoke… I just kept looking at it at arms length thinking, “Wow,

» incredible.”

»

» I promptly ordered a box for aging and a half dozen singles for now, only

» to find the singles very flat. No doubt, that particular single was an

» anomaly off the shelf, but have taken Tampa’s advise and set the box aside

» for a good 5 year aging.

Willpower that is!!!

I've had two 03 boxes of CoRo's, MKO Sep 03 that were terriblily underfilled I returned them and got NPO DIC 03 that are excellent. I have tried a few late 04's that have been mediocre at best but not underfilled, I think some mid-late 03's and early 04's should be avoided unless you trust your vendor or can inspect them first hand.

» I've had two 03 boxes of CoRo's, MKO Sep 03 that were terriblily

» underfilled I returned them and got NPO DIC 03 that are excellent. I have

» tried a few late 04's that have been mediocre at best but not underfilled,

» I think some mid-late 03's and early 04's should be avoided unless you

» trust your vendor or can inspect them first hand.

I have some SEU NOV 03 that are OK, but no complexity. Just that grassy cohiba flavor. Hopefully in a couple more years they will come around. It's been about 7 months since I tried one.

» To me, the Cohiba Robusto more than any other cigar needs age. I can't

» think of another cigar which improves more from being left alone for four

» or five years.

»

» If you can do that then I think you will have a change of mind.

This what I had heard prior to purchasing my first Robusto.

Shortly after they arrived, I plucked one for a taste (as is my habit).

These were '03 and well constructed - the flavor however left me underwelmed.

The remainder are taking a long nap.

As I am currently just starting my way through the Cohiba line - I reserve any further comment except: I found the SigloI a very good vitola and worth the price.

BUD

• 2 weeks later...

» For myself, I am not a big fan of the Cohiba line besides the ELs.

On the whole, I concur that the Cohiba line certainly does not represent a great bang for the $buck$..... However - within the last year or so - I have come to change my mind on 3 of their product offerings:

Siglo VI - I managed to obtain 2 boxes from the initial release period from my friend in Germany --these things smoke like the things dreams are made of.

Lanceros - 2001 --Revisado 2005 OMG !!!! What a smoking experience

CoRo - LLN DIC98..WOW !!! Beautiful and DELICIOUS...mounds of thick, creamy and effortless smoke--perfect construction --couple this with a beautiful Single Malt or Vintage Port and you are in hedonistic heaven......

I tried a couple of these last month. I'm not exactly sure of the dates, but believe they

were '04 or '05. While I enjoyed them, they were somewhat one dimensional, and

lacking any real depth of flavor. This leads me to believe that they were probably in a

"down time". At some point I'll get some to put away, and revisit down the line.

Robustos singularly my favourite, although all I am smoking now are 2002/03's. Siglo V probably next in line, although need to buy a box of VI's to properly assess them - only managed a few singles which were inconsistent. I keep the Cohiba humidor in a secret place away from prying freeloaders.

Speaking specifically about the Cohiba Robustos...

I think with time these tend to smooth out and loose some of the grassy flavors that are very strong when they are young and gain a little more mellow creaminess to them but never letting go of that grassy hint altogether... The early productions up to about late '01 have been very good then in '02-'03 I haven't smoked one yet that had the same characteristics as the earlier productions... The newer ones ever since late '03 and on (changed to the new bands) have been very good but I have seen more of the underfilled problem with newer ones than in than in any '02-'03 that I have smoked...

cohiba robustos are not passive smokes for me. it is one cigar that i never appreciate when i am doing other things, be it tailgating, playing cards, watching a game, etc... they are incredibly memorable smokes, however, when i dedicate my time and awareness to them.

a good example was just last month. i have some lingering from a box last year. i pulled one to smoke while watching a baseball game and drinking beer. absolutley uneventful. i was at the bottom of the cigar with nothing to show for it.

i pulled one the very next weekend for a low key after dinner smoke with friends. i paired it with gentleman jack on ice, and was almost blown away by its taste and complexity.

this cigar is not hit or miss, imo.

» I like CCEs better than Robustos and Lanceros best of all. I thin Linea

» Classica Cohibas seem to suit me best.

I am not a fan of the Siglo 6. I have 3 from a box from 03, so I decided to give 1 another try on Sunday after a great round of golf. Still can not see what all the hoopla is about these. Matter of opinion is I stay away from Cohiba besides the Els and Sellecion Reserves, And Siglo 1 and 3s.

Cohiba robusto's...had one recently from 04....great young smoke...because of the triple fermentation that Cohiba goes though you can enjoy these smokes relatively young... but once they go into the sick period...you gotta wait....patience will be rewarded

I like the Cohiba Robusto, Esplendido, Lancero and Robusto.... pity about the price....good news is Rob and lisa 's prices make them affordable..... woo hoo