Punch Royal Seleccion No 11 (NRG JUN 05)

Previous review by Shrink

Punch Royal Selection No. 11 (SUA SEP01)

“Dang me, dang me, I’m gonna smoke a Punch and Twang me!”

With apologies to Roger Miller, and to those of you who’d like to hang me…

Now, if you enjoy a little twang when you do your thang, then you won’t be disappointed with a ripe Royal Selection No. 11. I emphasize “ripe” because if they haven’t had enough beauty rest, under proper conditions, then they are likely to be bitter, sour, flavorless, or all three.

Fortunately, this baby was ripe, and ready for the executioner’s blade. A dark Colorado brown, moderately veined and lightly oily, it was firm between the fingers, and rough to the touch. The pre-light aromas were simply intoxicating, with scents of nuts, fruits and cooking spices. Actually, it smelled just like dried figs. That particular odor bodes well for Punch, in my experience. If you stick your nose into an aged cab of Punch, and it has the strong scent of dried figs, it’s probably “ripe”.

The Royal Selection No. 11 is one of four Punch Coronas Gorda, of which two have unfortunately been discontinued: the Super Selection No. 2 and the Black Prince. Of course, there is also the Punch Punch. They have similar qualities, but each is distinct in flavor, strength, and maturational properties. I enjoy the Super Selection No. 2, but it is very tannic, and needs five to ten years to soften its leathery soul. The RS No. 11, however, is much less tannic, and less spicy, but in my opinion is more flavorful than the Punch Punch…. if it has been allowed to fully ripen.

I clipped the object of my desire, and set it ablaze. First draws were of strong, toasty tobacco, followed by the classic Punch flavor profile. Punch lovers know it, but it is not easy to describe. So come with me to the kitchen….

First, take a large mixing bowl. Into this bowl, add two cups of dried cranberries and a cup of raisins. Then, dice a tart apple… like a McIntosh, and add this to the mix. Stir in a half-cup of lemon juice, for more tartness, and a half-cup of chopped walnuts, for flavor and astringency. Finally, add a cup of white grape juice, for more flavor and just the right amount of fructose sweetness.

Finely chop this mixture, and cook briefly with some pectin. Put it up in a couple of Ball jars, and leave in a cool place to ferment for a few years. Voila! This, my friends, is a rich and flavorful cigar. And did I say tangy?

My No. 11 burned cleanly, and drew perfectly. The smoke was pungent and spicy on the tongue, and made me sneeze a couple of times. All too soon, it was over, and I put it to rest. The flavor lingered on…and made me write this review.

» Okay Rob, if the RS 11 is almost un-Punch-like, what Punch around this size

» or smaller would you consider more Punch-like? Punch Punch? SS#1? RS 12?

» Or what?

To me, Punch Punch is definitively ...Punch. Punch SS2 is a stronger (and I believe better) version of the Punch Punch. Still, the PSS2 is definitively Punch.

Punch Royal Seleccion No 11 has the complexity and liteness of being that it could well belong to the stable of Saint Luis Rey or even La Gloria Cubana.

Just my opinion ;-)

» Oh man! I knew I should have spelled out no mention of the SS#2! How fair

» is including that?

»

» What about the SS#1? Or any of the smaller cigars?

Super Seleccion No 1 is still fuller bodied than the Royal Seleccion No 11. It has a cream centre and a Punch twang and is certainly one of my favourite cigars. However there is certainly no Christmas mince pie mix of citrus peel, nuts, raisins which is central to the RS11.

» I just smoked a late 06 that was gifted to me and it was very flat.

»

» Do they go through a sick period were they are muted in flavor?

Not really... we all know about gifted smokes and the issue about suspect provenance. Maybe it just doesn't agree with your palate

» » I just smoked a late 06 that was gifted to me and it was very flat.

» »

» » Do they go through a sick period were they are muted in flavor?

»

» I haven't see a late 06 Jimmy?

Punch RS#11 are anything but lacking in flavor... go back and try another

»

» Super Seleccion No 1 is still fuller bodied than the Royal Seleccion No

» 11. It has a cream centre and a Punch twang and is certainly one of my

» favourite cigars. However there is certainly no Christmas mince pie mix of

» citrus peel, nuts, raisins which is central to the RS11.

RS 11 was one of my favorites up until I ordered a box from a respected European house...I swear they were fake....I have to add a box of these but Smithy may be tired of writing my name by now.

• 1 year later...

Could this Corona Gorda be one of the most overlooked cigars of all? Has anyone out there ever had a truly bad one?

I have always enjoyed the RS11. To me it is almost unPunch like. This is the cigar that the Saint Luis Rye Serie A should be as from a flavour perspective...it almost belongs in the SLR stable. Please.... no more hate mail from SLR Serie A lovers. Diversity of opinion is a blessed thing :lol2:

image2104.jpg

image2105.jpg

The aroma from the open box is magic. Sweet spice, raisins....reminded me so much of toasted muesli. Constuction is impeccable. The wrapper not overly oily...but just has a class look to it.

image2106.jpg

image2107.jpg

image2108.jpg

Cuban clipped the end to find a seductive draw just to my liking. Taste on the lips is still honey toasted wheat. Looking forward to this :love:

image2109.jpg

Gently torched the foot and found billowing amounts of blue smoke. Very aromatic...tobacco mixed with a a teasing note of sweet incense. The opening draws sensed soft smoke, velvet mouth feel, raisins and milk chocolate. Just below medium bodied in nature...light but fulfilling, soft but assertive. If its little brother the powerhouse PC Royal Seleccion No 12 was Madonna....then the Royal Seleccion No 11 is Audrey Hepburn.

Perfect balance to this cigar to date. Has seamlessly blended substance/complexity and strength. Christmas mince pie on the palate (made of raisins/orange peel/dried cherry/apricots) underpinned by milk chocolate...mabe iced coffee.

image2110.jpg

Approaching the halfway mark the cigar builds in body to a genuine mid strength. Some of the sweet spice leaving. Very little pepper spice through the nose. Palate detects puffed wheat and coffee...stronger than previous. Meatier core now to the cigar.

image2111.jpg

image2112.jpg

The last third of the cigar continued in the same vein as the mid-section. Slightly sweet noted of toasted muesli/puffed wheat, core of espresso. There is a bitter note emerging but again it has a sweet edge...more Belgian cooking chocolate. Interesting, enjoyable.

Superb cigar overall. The complexity is remarkable especially in the first half. The cigar is almost a blend between the finest aspects of a LGC Tainos and the PL Petit Corona.

One to keep an eye out for.

92/100 5/6 smokerings.