Montecriston Petite Edmundo

Got a chance to try this cigar this past weekend compliments of a brother from this board. Thanks, Brian.

Now for the cigar...WOW! What a completely different blend than the regular Edmundo. Very dark EL-like appearance, good construction, draw was a little easy, but the burn was razor sharp. The flavors detected started out as a distinct slightly sweetened dark coffee with a spicy undertone. Midway, got some very nice chocolate and leather undertones and the cigar finished with some creaminess that reminded me of a creamy latte. The spicy undertone was present throughout the cigar. According to Brian, he said that this cigar reminded him of old-school Monte flavors. It never got bitter and it was definitely a finger-burner. I couldn't put it down. Really, quite an incredible smoke for such a young cigar. My only complaint is that was just too short. It only took 35 minutes to finish the bugger. The use of aged leaves certainly shows with how little harshness this smoke exhibited.

I have a box I'll try in a little while. I have a feeling they're good, even though I still think the size is ridiculous.

Even though I anticipate these tasting great, as the Hoyo PR's were when they first came out, I resent the extremely high quality tobacco being thrown at what I consider inherently flawed vitolas. I buy a few of them because that's where that tobacco's going, but I will be very happy when this size of cigar becomes passe.

» I have a box I'll try in a little while. I have a feeling they're good, even though I still think the size is ridiculous.

» Even though I anticipate these tasting great, as the Hoyo PR's were when they first came out, I resent the extremely high quality tobacco being thrown at what I consider inherently flawed vitolas. I buy a few of them because that's where that tobacco's going, but I will be very happy when this size of cigar becomes passe.

i agree with you, and have given similar opinions in the past.

• 4 years later...

since you've revived this '07 post, i can say that my leftover '07 petit eds are now full of peach flavours on top of your standard montecristo flavours (a twangy no.5 profile) and quite a lot more interesting than before.

in fact its the only reason my small box of 10 lasted until now. smoked 2-3 in the first couple of years and all i got was strong, dark, brooding tannins and charred tobacco that told me to F.. off for a while...