12DoC Review 1 - Partagas Corona

Phailure

12DoC Review 1 - Partagas Corona

Intro:

Now that my 12DoC Sampler from Rob has time to rest in the humi, I decided I'd sample each one and write a review. Feel free to add any thoughts or comments regarding your own experiences with said sticks.

The first stick up for review is the 2006 Partagas Corona

The sample was not particularly beautiful or ugly. Had the standard "stretched" look to the wrapper as many havanas do. The stick ofcourse had the firm box press. The job with the cap was nothing to write home about. You can see a picture of the sample below.

partcoronasizedfa1.jpg

The prelight draw was perfect with a slight firmness. The burn was nice and even. Not razor sharp but definitely burned straight for the most part.

ashsizedfu3.jpg

The corona opened up med-light body. I was actually surprised by how light it was considering it was a partagas. Opening tastes were of cedar and leather. As I smoked through the first third, there were fleeting traces of lemon zest. Towards the middle, the earthier flavors grew more prominent and I tasted some dark bitter chocolate notes. The strength was finally getting close to what I would expect from a partagas. Also, a small amount of white pepper was introduced after the first third.

When only a third of the corona was left, it started getting a little rough around the edges. The burn started to get slightly jagged as well. The stick was certainly enjoyable but I knew if I kept going much longer, I would overstay my welcome. At this point, I was freezing (it was snowing outside) and decided to let it go out and end on a good note.

Overall, I thought this stick was solid. I don't have as much experience as many of the members here but while I was smoking it, I kept thinking to myself that these would be nice a few years down. So, in conclusion, I'm going to rate this corona a 89/100.

After smoking I reread Rob's review of the party corona. I had read the review a while back but forgot what he had said. I thought our experiences were fairly similar. I agree with Rob's conclusion:

"In summary a very good Corona. It surprised me a little with the absence of white knuckle pepper spice I so often use to find in young Partagas. The medium body was a surprise as well...I expected a touch fuller....more bull at a gate....more college Frat party. What I got instead was a disciplined show bull and a chess club star."

A link to his review is below.

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/board_entry.php?id=40339

» » Very nice review. I haven't had one of these in quite some time.

» » I'll have to revisit them.

» »

» » Phailure do you post to HDF?

»

» HDF? Can't say I do... or even know what that is :confused:

There's a member of HDF (Harley Davidson forum) who posts under

the same screen name as you. I was just checking to see if you were that Phailure.

• 3 weeks later...

I just smoked my Partagas Corona from the 12DOC sampler and really enjoyed it. As you mentioned in your review, and Rob in his, this cigar didn't seem to have the spicy, peppery Partagas flavor--but to me, it was reminiscent of an 05 Partagas 898 V that I smoked a 10 box of. This cigar had a very smooth, refined type of taste, and I really enjoyed it.