Bolivar Corona Extra Review POS ABR 06

» Would love to here a review of the 06 BPC.

Would could give more detail, but I can say that I really enjoyed the '06 PCs I smoked earlier in the year.

Rob, your reviews are a great asset. I have to find the time to go back and read past ones.

» Do you think that the 2006's will develop with age enough to compare with

» say the strength, complexity and flavor of the 1998's?

At this point no.

It is why I have diarised a follow up review in April 07.

Th cabs of 1998 were outstanding. I agree the strength was awesome. The 05 cabs were not as strong in body but the complexity of flavour outshone the 98's I have tried. Tremendous raisin and coffee notes.

The 06 at this point show neither the strength of the 98 nor the complexity of the 05. We will see how they develop. This is not to say that I believe they were bad cigas....far from it! However I like to call a spade a spade in the reviews and keep in mind that it is only my opinion (and in this case Smithy's).

I think, and this is by no means correct at all probably, that the Boli CE needs many years to smooth out the rogh edges. I have some from 2000 that could whoop Mike Tyson's ass any day of the week. They are so different than my 2005's.

An interesting aside - all the talk about 2006 being - so far - as a whole very very good. But, in my limited experience, many of the 2006 vitolas taste the same - straight forward tobacco with quite a bit of strength and not a lot of complexity or subtle flavors. Now, there ARE some 2006 cigars that are unbelievably good and 2006 is no doubt shaping up to be a banner year for them (MC2/JL#2/Siglo II/I/VI / Dip#2/Dip#4 etc).

just got in one of these in this afternoon as a gift from a buddy of mine... looking forward to trying it out and seeing what impression I get from it. Nice review guys :-)

PS hey presidente, any way we can get a step by step tutuorial on that fingernail tecnique?

» Your findings on the 06's are spot on with mine.

» However,The gars from my 00 cabinet are some of the best production CC's

» I've had. A very light wrappered almost vein free cigar w/perfect draws.

» X:-)

They say wrapper color doesn't influence flavor, but in my experience with the BCE, the ones I've had with lighter wrappers have tasted considerably better than those with dark wrappers.

• 1 month later...

I fired up one of these last night after dinner and I found it to be a little bland. Not necessarily bad, as I still enjoyed. There just wasn't much going on with it. I'll have to give my other ones an extra couple months in the humi to see if anything happens.

• 1 year later...

Smithy and I fired up some 06 Bolivar Corona Extra's early in the week to see how the 06 were faring compared to the excellent 05. Overall it was a good without being a great cigar. Maybe we are expecting a little too much in relation to the 06's given some spectactular examples we have had this year. Bolivar has been perhaps one of the biggest underperformers in our 06 tests, not that they are bad cigars...just not up to the standard of some others.

Let me hand you over to Smithy:

image1787.jpg

Bolivar Corona Extra POS ABR 06

image1788.jpg

Smell at cold was barn straw and tobacco chocolate. Excellent construction from external inspection. The wrapper was a consistent tan colour with a slight furriness. Little oily sheen.

Draw was a little firm, difficult cut, could be more due to the fact that cutter that Rob supplied was ****. Ever since Don Alejandro Robaina showed him how to do a Cuban cut with his finger nails years ago he has been unbearable.

1/3 Rich distinctive Bolivar strength. Rewarding first couple of draws with notes of bitter toffee. As Rob pointed out it was a typical Bolivar, skip the foreplay and get straight into the good stuff, no messing about.

image1789.jpg

Moving into the 2/3 produced a dryer flavour, with soft grassy notes. The flavour is slowly reducing from the intense first 1/3. Although medium flavoured, still rather one dimensional. A palate of brewers yeast (vegemite). One confused cigar in that it does not really know where it is heading. No distinctive sweetness. Toasted tobacco and smouldering peat.

image1790.jpg

The final third improved and showed hints of dried fruits which is a distinctive flavour of the Bolivar Corona Extra. Some raisins, more toasted tobacco, leather. Excellent finish. Long aftertaste on the palate. Redeemed the non descript mid section.

Final Comment Solid youthful cigar with medium body and medium ageing potential, a sweeter cigar from the Bolivar range which would match nicely with a Grenache, my choice would be from D'arenberg.

image1791.jpg

Robs Comments

This is certainly not the finest example of the BOCE I have tried. Smithy is right in that it lost all direction at the 1/3 point and failed to recover until the last third. However, to its credit it recovered very well and the finish was memorable.

Definately one to reasses early next year to see if the mid section has developed into a definitive profile.

87/100 4 smokerings.