Punch DC

Punch DC

As part of ‘DC’ month here on the forum, had a look at this. From a box from July 03 so a bit of age (box could be AIS or AIJ?). DC is a size I love so have a soft spot for them which may lead to some bias. I find that, as they need the best part of two hours, they are usually a great experience as one is forced to settle down, enjoy the thing, and put aside the problems of the world. I just don’t think these work if you are doing other stuff at the same time. Of course, if you get a dud, the two hours make it seem even worse.

The colour here was a brown grey which was not hugely appealing but there was a slight oily sheen which raised the anticipation. The thing had good weight, felt hefty in the hand. The smell cold was enticing. Often with cabernets, scribes describe them with having a cigar box character and as bizarre as it might seem, that cabernet ‘cigar box character’ was exactly what this reminded me of. When lit, it was a treat. Lovely spicy cedary notes and really attractive complexity. There is deceptive power. Then there was some stuff that I scribbled down in all the excitement that I can’t read but which I think was good (nothing like a bit of technical precision with these reviews). The burn was excellent, a good cone and very consistent throughout. Only hiccup was that it did go a bit ragged towards the end. I am sure that the two years in the humidor helped with the burn and that another two years would do even more. The aftertaste was surprisingly mild. Like these a lot. The draw was nigh on perfect: not too tight but didn’t roll over too easily either. Wish I had a cab of these. Would have scored it even higher without that raggedness towards the end but for me, easily a 92.

Thanks for yet another very fine review Ken.

I have tried a few of the Punch DC's in the past, and I thought they were good, but not nearly as good as the Ramon Allones Gigantes or Don Alejandros......which reminds me I need to order some more of those from Rob :-)

hi dragon, i'm a big fan of the RA Gigs but have not looked at one for almost a year (i remember it well - whizzing down the beach on the way back from fraser. things don't get much better. might be time to pull out another). these caught me a little by surprise but just shows that every time you turn around, up pops another cigar you need to smoke.

» Thanks for yet another very fine review Ken.

»

» I have tried a few of the Punch DC's in the past, and I thought they were

» good, but not nearly as good as the Ramon Allones Gigantes or Don

» Alejandros......which reminds me I need to order some more of those from

» Rob :-)

• 8 months later...

Tried my first today. Great construction, with a beautiful medium caramel

colored wrapper. Draw was just on the tight side, but really a non consideration.

Very good burn, with a couple of very minor touch ups over the course of two

hours.

It started out with a smooth buttery flavor / sensation, evolving into more of an

anise like profile. There were some dry fruity overtones as well. Everything was

well balanced and integrated. Overall, it was medium - medium full in body,

becoming a bit more earthy near the end. It showed just the slightest hints of

youth, and though there wasn't alot of nuance / complexity, it wasn't lacking

depth of flavor.

Two hours of total enjoyment.

Thanks for the review, Ken. I agree that these are a great smoke. I haven't had the '03 but '02's are tremendous right now. Just don't smoke as many DC's because of the time. Have to break one out, maybe tonight...

Rarely smoke DCs anymore. No necessarily because of time...just too much cigar for me. Anyway, have a handfull of Punch DCs sitting in the cabinet. Look fantastic. I believe they are from a box of 02s...would have to check my records to make sure. The last one I had about a year ago was bland. Smoked very well, but there was just not much flavor to the smoke. When these were fresh, I thought they were great.

After this review...maybe it is time to revisit the Punch DC. Great review, Ken.:ok:

» Rarely smoke DCs anymore. No necessarily because of time...just too much

» cigar for me. Anyway, have a handfull of Punch DCs sitting in the

» cabinet. Look fantastic. I believe they are from a box of 02s...would

» have to check my records to make sure. The last one I had about a year

» ago was bland. Smoked very well, but there was just not much flavor to

» the smoke. When these were fresh, I thought they were great.

»

» After this review...maybe it is time to revisit the Punch DC. Great

» review, Ken.:ok:One of the best cigars I ever smoked was a Punch DC from 2001. When they are on they are hard to beat, very complex.