Cohiba Pirimide Edicion Limitada Review and Pics

» Thanks for another fine review. As great as you make them sound, at that

» cost,

» I would implore H.S.A. to use them as rectal thermometers, as mentioned

» previously.

» And once again, I'm sure they'll sell every stick.....

:lol:

You are right Colt in that they will sell every stick and could do so 10 times over.

The price is the same as a bottle of French Pol Roger Champagne on discount. I understand their positioning not that I agree with it.

My perfect afternoon would include both ;-)

Very nice review Rob. I have a few questions regarding the Cohiba EL and EL's in general.

1.) With this Cohiba Piramide EL do you have any idea how many will be manufactured for the worldwide distribution? Being that it is a Cohiba EL, do you think more will be manufactured than say the Por Lorranaga's?

2.) Approximately how many would be designated for PCC? Is distribution even throughout the world, or do some regions get more than others?

3.) And finally, but most importantly, with all of the EL's and ER's (or is it RE's?) being released, what are you thoughts on regular production suffering do to lack of resources?

Thank you.

»

» 1.) With this Cohiba Piramide EL do you have any idea how many will be

» manufactured for the worldwide distribution? Being that it is a Cohiba

I haven't got those details as yet but I would estimate 100,000 sticks. I will try and fid out for you.

» EL, do you think more will be manufactured than say the Por Lorranaga's?

I am assuming you mean the Por Larranaga Lonsdales? The PL Lonsdale release had a 60,000 stick release. I am assuming the Cohiba Pirimide LE is 100,000. Again, I will try to confirm. »

» 2.) Approximately how many would be designated for PCC? Is distribution

» even throughout the world, or do some regions get more than others?

Some regions will get more. PCC ranks second in geographical area but 5th in volume although it is one of the fastest growing distributors. Habanos s.a does not release allocation details for fear of upsetting distributors but it is well accepted that the largest markets receive the greatest distribution.

» 3.) And finally, but most importantly, with all of the EL's and ER's (or

» is it RE's?) being released, what are you thoughts on regular production

» suffering do to lack of resources?

I have not witnessed the degrading in quality of regular production sticks. Keep in mind the culling of slow selling lines frees up leaf.

The regional editions of 60,000 sticks each is not a huge volume but certainly a dollar spinner and marketing success. With the Edicion Limitada restricted to three releases a year....it is not a big volume production compared to a 150 million stick total volume.

»

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,already....quit teasing us.When are we going to be able to blow some of our hard earned ducats on some of these,Prez?:hungry:

I've got some money that's supposedly earmarked for Christmas gifts:-D

James Suckling called it a "BOMBSHELL!" and then Cigar Insider came out yesterday and it got 88 points.

For what that's worth. Not much. I'd take Rob's more detailed and indepth review (and others on this board) over those Cigar Aficionado guys any day.

• 1 year later...

Our first shipment of Cohiba Pirimide Edition Limitada arrived last Thursday and it was Friday afternoon that I had my first opportunity for a tasting. These Pirimides are a 5 year anniversary release of the first Edicion Limitada Cohiba Pirimids which were released in 2001.

My first thoughts when I heard Habanos s.a was celebrating a 5th year anniversary was "what the F*#%k?"...."are they devoid of ideas already.?" To make matters worse, I thought the first release of the Cohiba Pirimide Edicion Limitada 2001 was a dog of a cigar. It was so uncohiba like in being harsh and bitter with nondescript flavours. I kept none for myself although I have re-tasted them in 2003, 2005 and 2006. In my honest opinion they have not improved a great deal.

So fast forward to this years offering which comes nicely packed in boxes of 10. They are expensive at $27.50 USD a stick or $51 AUD a stick. They come with the claim of two year old wrapper leaf....big deal. What good are 10 sticks to me anyway? If I like them I am going to want 50 -100 and that would send me broke!!!!

All in all I am ready to hate this cigar. I was tempted not to review it and reach for a Partagas Connoisseur No 3 to enjoy on a lazy Friday afternoon and to accompany my red wine and rocking chair on the deck of Czar House.

However....I know when it is time to work and so I chose the ugliest example of the Cohiba Edicion Limitada 2006 that I could find.

image1735.jpg

image1736.jpg

image1737.jpg

image1738.jpg

image1739.jpg

image1740.jpg

image1741.jpg

image1742.jpg

image1743.jpg

image1744.jpg

Construction was almost perfect with no hard or soft spots. Perfectly bunched foot, well made cap although the wrapper was a litle rough in places. Smell at cold was sweet spice with a cocoa note. Nice weight in the hand....perfect Pirimide.

image1746.jpg

image1747.jpg

Clipped the cap on an angle and tested the draw. Perfect....not a wind tunnel...just enough resistance to ensure a slow burn. No discernable flavour pre lighting.

Torched the end gently and let the cigar settle into stride for a few minutes. A nice deep draw revealed a full bodied powerhouse. I expected sweet spices but received helping upon helping of white pepper and sweet paprika spice. Through the nose the spice was enhanced....strong...almost English Mustard in intensity.

Into the first third the cigar quickly reigned itself in. Still full bodied but a definate coffee nougat sweetness took over the palate. Lush. Rich, velvety smoke. Dank, big volume of smoke...you could cut the bluish smoke with a knife. Interestingly the ash wasy dark grey almost black with small nodules of grey white showing. This is an oily cigar almost along the lines of OPUS X Perfection No 2 meets Cohiba Double Corona.

image1748.jpg

image1749.jpg

Into the second stage of this cigar and it reminds me more and more of the Cohiba Double Corona...just a little fuller in body. Nougat chewy sweetness continues. Definate Espresso dark roasted coffee note. Very chewy...serious cigar. Excellent complexity but so much more to come with a little time. Bloody excellent.

image1750.jpg

Into the final third and my only thought is that I do not want this cigar to end. No real flavour change but nor do I want it to. The amount of oil is causing a little bitterness but I am willing to forgive. Such a thick tasting cigar...almost treacle note. Body beginning to increase as is the bitterness but still enjoyable. Some Cohiba Lemongrass notes amongst the cream. Coffee intensifying but so to the bitterness. Will let this one die out.

image1754.jpg

The finest limited edition release alongside the Cohiba Double Corona. One of the most enjoyable cigars I have had this year. Unlimmited potential for improvement as it has the complexity and power for the long haul. Would I pay $275 USD or $500 AUD a box? .....probably yes. It is a classic cigar in the making but a cigar which will need to be brought out to celebrate some life achievements. Too much moola to be a regular smoke unless you are on Ken's income bracket ;-)

How I would love to be able to afford to put 250 of these buggers away :love:

image1752.jpg