Ramon Allones Small Club Corona (RASCC) SVF NOV05

stever

Decided to top off a cholesterol-ladened, artery-clogging, heart-stopping Sunday breakfast with copious black cups of French roast coffee and a Ramon Allones Small Club Corona. It is blustery and raining on and off, but it actually isn’t that cold outside. I decide to smoke the RASCC out on the deck under the umbrella stand with plenty of piping hot coffee at hand.

This 4 1/4 x 42 cigar is dark brown in color, slightly mottled, and has a pronounced oily sheen. The wrapper is fairly smooth with some light veining. It is box-pressed, with slight outward curvature along all sides, and has a firm resiliency. There is some hardness about an inch from the cap, but it appears to be “workable.” Overall, this cigar earns high marks for construction and appearance.

The nose is a rich, heady mix of pungent barnyard and leather. Using a technique showed to me by Cigardawg, I lightly clasp the inner cap of the RASCC between the blades of a Xikar and slowly rotate the cigar. The inner two layers of the cap are carefully shaved away to reveal a well-defined dimple. The draw is definitely firm, but I’m happy with it. I’ve experimented with different types of cuts and draw on this batch of RASCC and have found a firm, not too open, draw yields better flavors. Prelight draw reveals a sweet, berry-like tobacco and leather mix.

I light the cigar and taste sweet nutty and coffee flavors. Body and smoke volume is at first on the light side, but eventually picks up to medium. The burn is fairly even and self-correcting, with tight dark grey ashes.

Within the first inch, the flavor profile is of a sweet and tangy toasted nut flavor, followed by a faint flavor of dark berry, and ending with a coffee/espresso finish. At the one-inch mark, a rounded and creamy hazelnut and wafer flavor (I’m thinking of the flavored cream-filled wafer sticks/cookies) precedes the berry notes, and a cedar and mint-like spiciness begins to mix with the coffee finish.

At the 2” mark, a molasses-like flavor starts to roll into the coffee finish to add even more richness to this smoke. Soon, I also start to taste chewy leather and toasted tobacco on the finish.

I find this cigar to be a hearty and complex smoke that goes very well with the French roast coffee I’m drinking black. The cigar has a richness and lushness to it that makes me want to slowly savor each exhalation. At the same time, the long-lasting finish has an underlying zestiness that beckons me to keep puffing.

In the final third, the nut flavor becomes more rounded and muted; and the cedar, coffee, molasses and leather flavors intensify, but in a balanced and smooth way. The smoke lasts about an hour with ½” left.

I think this RASSC from NOV 05 is one of the better 05s I’ve smoked thus far. Has anyone tried a RASSC from ’06 or know anything of their quality?

» That just got my cigar juices going and I need to order some as I love the

» RASS and your review makes the RASCC sound delicious.:-P

RASCC are the best small cigars ever. Perhaps, I'm just too biased towards RA line altogether. My '04s and '05s are superb.

I also have a box from '01 which I'm working on now which is out of this world.

I usually avoid talking about RASCC.:-D I want them all for myself.:-D