double coronas

the target for reviews this month is going to be double coronas (which, given the flaying i have copped from the royal knobness, will be posted both here and in the reviews section - if i remember). they will have to wait until back next weekend unless can slip one in quickly, as they say in the classics.

thought it worth hearing any thoughts on DC's. for mine, they are my favourite size, vying with pyramides, but you do need to set aside close to two hours (hence why rob is such an expert on these). unfortunately, couldn't convince our glorious leader to part with any SLR's or Cohiba LE's but sure we'll find a few goodies.

what are your favourites?

unfortunately, couldn't convince our glorious leader to part with any SLR's etc. etc. what are your favourites?

Well, my faves are the Lusi and the RA Gigante, but I already know that I like these. As you might surmise, the review I would most like to see is the SLR. Why on God's Green Earth can't Rob get a few cabs of these rarities and sell them off in manageable lots to those of us poor souls subsisting on food stamps? I for one would be willing to extend Rob a hudna (Arabic for cease-fire). :-|

i must step in here to defend our glorious leader, at least a little bit. about two years ago, el pres needed to bring the slr DC's to one of his cigars dinners as there was just no interest. he was even flogging them at a discount. must say i bought all i could and since then, el pres has had a standing order for the annual allocation of the slr DC's, or at least a cab thereof which i gather goes close to cleaning him out. if for any reason, this was not to proceed, he would have one very unhappy reviewer and worse!

I tend to maybe smoke them on the golf coarse. They are about an hour smoke for me. Usually stick to pyramid or smaller for DCs' arent as flavorful or powerful. se to love them when I 1st started smokeing Cuban cigars but after a few years they are a bit mild for mt taste.

Write now I only have box of HDM DC & Punch DC.

Not really my cup o joe.

also in its own review section - if i can master the technology

Punch DC

As part of ‘DC’ month here on the forum, had a look at this. From a box from July 03 so a bit of age (box could be AIS or AIJ?). DC is a size I love so have a soft spot for them which may lead to some bias. I find that, as they need the best part of two hours, they are usually a great experience as one is forced to settle down, enjoy the thing, and put aside the problems of the world. I just don’t think these work if you are doing other stuff at the same time. Of course, if you get a dud, the two hours make it seem even worse.

The colour here was a brown grey which was not hugely appealing but there was a slight oily sheen which raised the anticipation. The thing had good weight, felt hefty in the hand. The smell cold was enticing. Often with cabernets, scribes describe them with having a cigar box character and as bizarre as it might seem, that cabernet ‘cigar box character’ was exactly what this reminded me of. When lit, it was a treat. Lovely spicy cedary notes and really attractive complexity. There is deceptive power. Then there was some stuff that I scribbled down in all the excitement that I can’t read but which I think was good (nothing like a bit of technical precision with these reviews). The burn was excellent, a good cone and very consistent throughout. Only hiccup was that it did go a bit ragged towards the end. I am sure that the two years in the humidor helped with the burn and that another two years would do even more. The aftertaste was surprisingly mild. Like these a lot. The draw was nigh on perfect: not too tight but didn’t roll over too easily either. Wish I had a cab of these. Would have scored it even higher without that raggedness towards the end but for me, easily a 92.

Partagas Lusitania - You’re so vein (also in separate review).

One for the monthly DC reviews, this is usually one of my absolute favs. Have most of a box from Sept 03 away for a few years and down to my last few from a box from 1998. This one from Sept 04 so hoping that the vibrancy of youth might make up for the wonderful complexity that these breed. Colour was a lovely old teak and there was a dusty oily note to the feel. There were a few veins, a few too many, but not enough to suggest any sort of problem (I just wanted to use the Carly Simon line - Aussie version, ‘He walked into the party like Harold Holt on the crest of a wave’).

Construction looked pretty good but just wondered if the draw might be a fraction loose - and so it proved. Mild opening, a hint of earthy and choc notes (no stock) and some green touches. Couldn’t find that wonderful richness that io associate with these. The power did build towards the middle but never to any great extent. It was also a little bitter in the middle but this dissipated as we moved through it. Early burn good, with an impressive cone but didn’t last. Burn was reasonably consistent (a little ragged towards the finish) but did need a little attention from the middle on. Kept searching for any prominent or significant flavours but it wasn’t to be. It all settled down towards the last third but no highlights. That wonderful richness and complexity of the older examples not to be found. This was all rather unsatisfying and compelling evidence for me that, unless this was just a poor example, I’ll be making sure I give them a few years. They can be so good. If these are your thing, my thoughts are to get a box or two in the humidor asap (Rob will love that) and then always keep them topped up with that age. 87. Might seem a bit harsh but high expectations not met. Much preferred the Punch from last week.

Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona

From ENH OCT 03. Found this to be a really interesting smoke. Colour was a light brown, almost pale. Appeared to have good construction but it was a bit crumbly on clipping. Thought that could be a concern but proved not to be. Opened with a lovely creamy coffee character and this persisted through much of it. The flavours were subtle and mild and remained so throughout. As it moved through the first third, the creaminess added a gentle spicy note and some really attractive roasted nut flavours. Also a sweet woody note. Offered an immaculate burn and near perfect ash right through. Was very consistent and once lit, never needed any further attention (nothing more distracting or certain to irritate than having to relight every few puffs). Draw was firm: not too easy but also not overly tough. Did get a little hot on the finish but overall, a very pleasant mild smoke. Even though only a year older than the Lusi from the other day, much more complete and mature. Suspect that around 2-3 years, suits these and not sure any need to go much further. Be interesting to see an even younger one. I reckon that this would be a good smoke for an afternoon when one is not completely focused. Last time I looked at these was about four years ago and from the notes, I was very underwhelmed, so nice to see an improvement. 90.