Montecristo Especiale #2 OSU JUL01 (blind tasting)

cigarnv

Montecristo Especiale #2 OSU JUL01

A cigar group that I belong to is doing a blind tasting of 9 cigars over the course of the summer, this was cigar #7 in the tasting. All of the cigars came from Rob, and his team did a superb job of helping us put this tasting in place. There are 15 reviewers who are all seasoned Havana smokers and no reviews were released to the reviewers until all were submitted. Here is a short recap

Ratings

96+ 0 votes

90-95 9 votes

86-89 2 votes

80-85 2 votes

75-79 0 votes

74- 2 votes

NA 0 votes

"Nutty flavor that was in the predraw intensified and dominated most of the flavor profile. There was a bit of mustiness to the cigar indicating some age. I would think the cigar to be about 3-4 years old.

A definite creaminess was becoming apparent. This spoke to me that this cigar very well might be a Montecristo. The cigar continued to burn beautifully, developing a gray black ash. The cigar finished with a nutty spiciness that was truly enjoyable. This was the best cigar so far."

"I am being wowed by the intense and not so intense flavors all intertwined into a complex masterpiece at this point. I keep finding I have to remind myself to slow my smoking pace with this thin rg cigar, but it is so good that it is a hard task. However I remain patient (as is possible) and I am being rewarded. The overall flavors remain the same, with the vanilla bean starting to fade and the cedar element gaining strength. BTW, have I mentioned that I am enjoying this cigar??? Some exhales thru the nose further intensify this cigar's fine points and add to the overall enjoyment of the cigar."

"The cigar was very well constructed, so it burned well and drew well. I don't have a very specific recollection of flavors, but it was somewhat sweet and fairly rich. It "hit the spot." This was certainly the best cigar of our blind tasting (so far). I'd go so far as to say it was a good cigar!"

"Upon lighting, the burn was good if a touch uneven. The cigar was light and smooth. The predominant flavors were light leather with a floral touch. As the cigar burned, there was a very light hint of honey. The fragrance was floral, and quite enjoyable.

This was a very nice after-lunch cigar. I'm glad I didn't have a big meal before-hand, as the cigar was on the light side. That being said, it didn't taste too young for me. I'd say that I thought it was aged (1999?), but I've been way off on guessing age in past reviews. I'll just say that it was ready to smoke."

"This was a rather forgettable cigar albeit not totally unenjoyable. Draw wasn’t great, the ash was quite flaky and the flavors were not terribly enjoyable to me."

"Lightly colored Laguito #2 with a few small unobtrusive veins, a little sheen, smoothe to the touch, with a slight crackle to the ear. A bit of dark tabac inside (maybe a hit of ligero)? A pleasant beginning that soon developed into a medium nondescript sort of spicy smoke with a little oomph. Mid way a strange metallic like taste began to appear. Although it picked up some strength, this metallic thing bothered me. It soon gave way to tannic and bitter youth. I counted 18 rings in the mottled non compacted 1"ash and concluded the cigar needed more age...this cigar is definitely nothing I own and smoke...(eliminating the CCE). Although this "Laguito #2" manifested some tell-tale signs of youth, it was prolly the best so far of the tastings and definitely not a dog rocket. I'd like to revisit this cigar in a few years or perhaps acquire an older example."

"Oh Yeah this is the real deal. Vanilla bean delight with the perfect balance. This is the best cigar yet or I’m just needing one worse than ever. Great start to the weekend for me. Good smoke volumes and smooth quality tobacco. An elegant cigar that smacks of class. Second Third- Mellow vanilla bean gives way to roasted leather and pure pleasure. A small burn correction is needed but the construction is first rate. Last Third- As expected the intensity builds without harshness and predominate flavors are roasted beans, leather and mild earthy spice. I loved this cigar and would take a box strait away."

"This is one ugly cigar, veins, stems poking out and a pale color. After cutting the draw is perfect. Started grassy and harsh, with little other flavors. Getting better as smoked though. Second Third:This cigar is starting to come around, a little fruity with a slight grassiness (is that a word). coming to the end of this third it has a new creaminess.

Final Third: The creaminess is gone replaced by a grassy/earth flavor and remains this way until the finish."

"Notes of sugar and cream coffee are distinct but not overpowering. This possibly young cigar is mild and not developing much i the first inch. As it progresses the sweet nut notes are getting richer and the burn is sharper. The middle of the cigar is picking up and the smoke has a chewy quality. Toward the end the nutty notes went away and the cigar finished a bit stronger. Best cigar of the bunch......yep."

"Once lit, the cigar produced lots of smoke. Best way to describe the flavor at this point was toasty tobacco, and a mild spice on the tongue.

The draw was still perfect in the second 3rd and the flavor stayed consistent with the first 3rd, not harsh, turning buttery in flavor. The burn stayed perfectly straight to this point. Last 1/3: The flavor continued to be consistent with the previous 3rd’s, the only change being an increase in strength. I smoked this thing till I couldn’t hold on to it. It had to be the best cigar I smoked all week. It finished perfectly and the flavor lingered for a couple hours."

"Very firm draw, but not officially plugged. Even burn with the need for one relight, but careful attention had to be paid through the entirety of the stick to prevent it from going out. Started with mild tobacco and nuts. The first third was almost so subtle I couldn’t detect anything! I have not encountered that problem before, and got a little worried. I finally found hints and whispers of paper, grass, and warm leather, along with a slight menthol taste. The middle third saw an increase in flavor, but still nothing prominent, per se. It started with a very mild woodsy and herbal flavor, which intensified somewhat as it was smoked, but was only there in the shadows. A mild tanginess and nutty flavor also seemed to dance in and out. The last third saw a continuation of the herbal and woodsiness, with an increase in the menthol-like flavor. A slight tannic quality also came to the forefront – unusual in that I normally detect this in the first third, when it is noticed. I kept waiting for it to open up but alas it never did.."

"The initial flavor was somewhat vegetal with a hint of nuttiness along with a mostly straight-forward tobacco flavor that tasted still a bit young, maybe 2-3 years old. About halfway through a nutty and spicy twang appeared that seemed to me to be Montecristo. I didn’t perceive any of the grassy or vanilla bean flavors of the CCE, so I am guessing that the cigar is a Montecristo Especiale No. 2 from 2003."

"It appears we are off to a very good start as from the start this cigar delivered a good amount of smoke a significant amount of flavor. The smoke was almost creamy in texture and delivering flavors of earth, hints of spice and a nice woodiness. Off and on I would pick up on pleasant herbal tones as well as a sweetness that wove in and out. The cigar burned very slow but perfectly straight with a flat face. The ash was very firm and dark gray to black in color. The cigar was moderately complex, very well balanced and delivered a long and pleasant finish."

» 74- 2 votes

Wow!?? They must have gotten the cigars reserved for Ken. :-D

Nice review Cigarnv. While I have never tried this cigar, I am very fond of it's big brother, the Especiale #1. Nice to read that this cigar has some of the same characteristics as the Especiale #1. This is a cigar that is on my short list. Out of curiousity, how long did it take you to finish this cigar?

Again, thanks for the information.

» Anyone had any from 2004? I got a box recently but havent tried one. I am

» waiting for them to rest after the long trip across seas to the house.

» Prolly be 3-5 months in the humi before I have one. Thoughts???

I am currently smoking through a box from 2004. All but one has smoked perfectly and the taste is fantastic. They seem to have already begun to turn the corner and are exhibiting that fantastic "gingerbread" quality that one hears people speak of.

» Anyone had any from 2004? I got a box recently but havent tried one. I am

» waiting for them to rest after the long trip across seas to the house.

» Prolly be 3-5 months in the humi before I have one. Thoughts???

Did you get them from Rob? If so they will not need the recover from shipping for 3-5 months. 3-4 weeks should be fine. Rob's shipping is the best around ussually getting the sticks to you in three to five days. When they are shipped that quickly I do no believe they get real sick.

I was in on this test and this was the best cigar ti date. I tried to buy a box from Rob but he did not have that date/code. I may re-think the purchase of the 04.

I did not get them from Rob. But still no matter where they come from, they still get put onto a plane and the plane's cargo area is cold as **** so they rest. Just something I like to do with all my cigars. Sometimes I try one right away so I have a comparison but I have enough now where I can wait a couple of months.