Cuban Elegance

Colt45

I bought this book (written by Michael Connors) a year or so ago. While it focuses mainly on the architecture and furniture from colonial Cuba, it also gives a brief but

interesting history of colonial times as well. The photos are amazing, and I'm wondering if those of you who have traveled to Cuba have had the opportunity to see some of the buildings in the book (ex: Palacio de los Capitaines Generales), and if so,

how they compare in real life.

Along those lines,I recently saw a program called Hemingway's Cuba (on food tv, of all places - has really turned into a travel channel). It was hosted by Mariel Hemingway. It reminded me quite a bit of the past travel logs posted here by Rob and Ken. Has anyone had a chance to see it?

anything hosted by mariel hemingway, i'm all in favour of it. have not seen the show or the book. the architecture in cuba is either crap - theirs - or fantastic - spanish colonial. anyone interested in that sort of thing should head across asap. they are in the process of revitalising a lot of the run down stuff, and most of it is run down, but it will take years.

I am always in awe of Cuba's architecture.

I am not talking about the palaces and buildings of Havana Vieja but the sheer degraded grandeur of the houses of the inner havana suburbs. It reminds you that this was once one of the richest cities of the world.

def and amazing place. While we were there wifey and I were snapped some great b&w shots of the old colonial buildings. Aboslutely fantastic. To believe that the govt has let them become run down is disgusting but does add to the romantic notion of the place.