Vegas Robaina Unicos

I think that these hold a special place in the hearts of a few of us as, on our first visit to Cuba several years ago, we got to visit the farm and sit on the porch with Don Alejandro and share a smoke. I have a humidor that they made on the farm signed by the man himself. Try as you might, as with wine, circumstances, memories, company, food (or for cigars, drinks) etc etc, all impact on your enjoyment of a cigar at any specific time. But that aside, I’ve always loved these. While they have a strong and powerful flavour, I find that good examples are so nicely balanced that there is a perception of mildness. The colour is almost that of a rusty old pipe (not meant pejoratively) and there is a lot of delicious dark chocolate flavours, hints of citrus and dried herbs with a slightly sweet note. Burn is usually excellent. They do seem to be a cigar that benefits from a little ageing.

On this last trip, I tried two. One was just as mentioned above, the other completely different and a real disappointment, hot and dirty. The second one was actually at a reception held for Don Alejandro at the Habanos store at the Melia near the Comodoro (a must visit for anyone traveling to Havana) and I wonder if they were short on supply and had to push some through for the night. I’m happy to believe that and consequently, this was an aberration, as it is the only time this cigar has not been a real joy. 92.

Rob:Consistently amongst the best of all Habanos Pirimides. I find them to be medium bodied and rich in flavour specifically coffee and cooking chocolate. I haven't had a bad one ever: 94 [/i]

picked up a box oh these baies dated OCT 03 (from memory) in Havana and must say they are a new favourite. went through half my box last year and now stashing them away for a bit more sleep. Definitely a lesser known smoke but truly worth your time!