Cohiba Siglo VI

First smoke of the trip and as good as ever. Had the usual light milky choc look and excellent construction. The same creme caramel notes that one expects and coffee grind and dark choc flavours. Some nuts had a hint of the herbals. Good cone. Rich, firm and p’ful with quite a tight draw but would never have expected it to have been topped by the PSS2 that followed. I do love the way these show such superb balance. Not a bad afternoon. From a box of ‘04s. 92.

» First smoke of the trip and as good as ever. Had the usual light milky choc

» look and excellent construction. The same creme caramel notes that one

» expects and coffee grind and dark choc flavours. Some nuts had a hint of

» the herbals. Good cone. Rich, firm and p’ful with quite a tight draw but

» would never have expected it to have been topped by the PSS2 that

» followed. I do love the way these show such superb balance. Not a bad

» afternoon. From a box of ‘04s. 92.

Ken's reviewed 3 Sig VIs over several months from different boxes (I think) and had varied results, although good all around.

Proof again that it takes at least a couple of boxes to determine what a single cigar's profile actually tastes like.

looking back over this thread, i figure i must be close to the mark if skindiver agrees. i guess it is obvious i am a fan and i have a box that has gone off to deep storage to see how they age but i suspecty that as soon as it sees the light, it won't last long. that aside, have some that i am working through now and loving 'em.

i can say that the last two reviews came from the same box.

Ken's reviewed 3 Sig VIs over several months from different boxes (I

» think) and had varied results, although good all around.

» Proof again that it takes at least a couple of boxes to determine what a

» single cigar's profile actually tastes like.

• 3 weeks later...

» I really do think that these are one of the best cigars to have emerged

» from Havana in quite a few years and I suspect that many other members of

» the forum will rate these highly as well (almost everyone I know

» personally on the forum certainly does). Can’t help but love that milk

» chocolate appearance and merest hint of an oily sheen. That oft-used

» phrase, ‘an iron fist in a velvet glove’ seems perfect for these. They

» exhibit exemplary balance and despite the obvious power, can seem subtle

» and even tending towards mild (I think this would be more obvious if they

» were shorter but at this size, they can’t hide that power forever). For

» me, they are all coffee and cream, hints of vanilla and with some early

» complexity. Burn and draw are first class and the aftertaste is clean and

» long. 95.

»

» Rob: Ken finally has one right :-D. Best current production cigar

» out of Cuba. 95

I guess I'll have to try again on these. I purchased a few from one of the first batches to arrive in Australia and they were/are tight to the point of getting bitter as I try to smoke them. My source was a good one, not here though. I wish my experience had been better after all the raves from this board.

• 3 weeks later...

Had this with a mate after an excellent lunch, but don’t believe that influenced us too much, as a good break in between. We both were stunned by these. It was as though they had chosen that very evening to reach their peak. My mate, who is an irregular cigar smoker, but with whom I have enjoyed some excellent cigars over the years, declared it his best cigar ever. For me, it was certainly a contender. Never seen a burn so immaculate. Absolutely even right through. Very slow and at no stage did it waiver for a second. Could not be better. And same for the flavour. Complex, spice, light chocolate notes, hint of herbal and leaf litter, touch of smoke. Dark coffee, creamy note. Immaculate throughout and consistent. Finely balanced. Creamy texture. This was simply really was one of the very best cigars I have ever encountered. Loved it from start to finish. Have always liked these and so was expecting a top smoke but something this good came out of the blue. Love to hear from anyone who has tried one recently to see what they thought and keen to try another. I have a box I got from Rob and one from Cuba and the Cuban one is slightly older - assumed these must have come from that but they were actually from the box I got from Rob 12 months ago (LLN Feb 04). 97 (may seem extreme but buggered if I can see how these, or cigars in general, can get much better).

• 3 weeks later...

Singles, no codes

Construction: very nice, solid construction

Wrapper: smooth, medium brown, with minimal veining

Draw: too easy for my taste, but not terrible.

Taste: first thoughts - refined, ending thoughts - underwhelming. There was an intermingling of spice, nuts, fruit and chocolate throughout, all subtle, all very nicely balanced. Never went past medium in body, and was more like light-medium. A very smooth cigar.

I did get the feeling that the flavors are there, and just waiting to come out, but they never really did. I have another that I'll try this coming spring. I really hope this one evolves into something better, especially given the price. I did enjoy it, but I've had better. For now, 86.

I've smoked about three of these from MAY 03. The first showed excellent potention within months after purchase. The second had gone "dumb" on me after about a year. By July of 05 the third had come around. Smoking it was a memorable experience. I think they will be totally amazing in another 2 or 3 years.

you're a hard bloke to please!

i'll confess to one or two that have been okay at best but mostly, and especially lately, i have just been blown away and i really don't think i have smoked anything better this year (would have voted for it in the foh annual comp if rob, despite it being my idea, hadn't had me locked out).

i am a huge fan.

I'll admit that my "review" is somewhat ambivalent, but that's how I felt after this one - it left me scratching my head. It just seemed that there was underlying flavor that never really surfaced. I should also state that it had only been in my possession for a couple of days, and that may have played a part.

I'm not put off of these, and I'm looking forward to trying another in a few months.

Had one of these last night and expected a lot after the last few have been so superb. This one had all the components but the problem was an impossibly tight draw. Not plugged at all and went right through without needing any re-lighting. Smoked slowly and consistently and had dark coffee and caramel notes, a touch of cream and good dense flavours. Problem was it was just so tight. All the concentration went into sucking on the thing. Marred the smoke for me because of that but otherwise, all there. Came from the same box as the last few that i have just loved so much. 89.