Ramon Allones Belicosos Finos (UK only release; July 04)

stever

With all the recent news from London regarding the foiling of a planned terrorist attack, I decided to show my support and celebrate my fondness for the British.:ok: I mixed myself a double strength PIMS Cup (a typically British refreshing summertime quaff) in my favorite Fullers London Pride pint glass, and pulled out a Ramon Allones Belicosos Finos. This 5 5/8 x 52 cigar is only available in the U.K. as a test and is intended to appeal to the “British palate,“ which apparently favors an aromatic, rich, woody profile similar to many of the H. Upmanns. I had purchased a box of the RABF while on a visit to London last year, and I must thank Cigardawg for bringing this cigar to my attention and encouraging me to seek it out.

The wrapper was golden brown with a slight reddish hue, had a rumpled, rustic texture and sported a couple of prominent veins. There was a distinct layering and folding of the tobacco evident at the foot, and the cigar exuded a rather rich aroma of cedar, white pepper and leather. Prelight draw was medium/firm, revealed sweet leather and dark fruit notes, and there was a slight saltiness.

The initial lighting produced light creamy vanilla, white pepper, a sweet mellow woodiness, and leather and tobacco notes. Smoke volume and body at the onset were on the light side with a tight draw, but the body progressively built to be more medium/full and the draw gradually opened up. The burn needed correcting about an inch in, but thereafter remained fairly even. The ash was grey/white, serrated, and very firm, with only a slight curling at the beginning. The cigar produced a heady, slightly sweet, spiced wood aroma that was very alluring.

The first third yielded flavors of macadamia nut, white pepper, mellow wood, light barnyard-like chewy leather, and clean light tobacco. Mouth texture was sumptuous, and the flavors were very well balanced and continued to progress in intensity and duration. At about 2” in, I detected a slight licorice note, but this only seemed to last for a few draws.

Halfway through. I really began to enjoy this cigar and was pleasantly surprised at how well it married with the PIMS Cup. I found myself smoking more slowly in order to savor a rich, hearty aftertaste that just seemed to endure. Some cocoa began mixing with the sweet, spicy, nut flavors; and a mint-like cedar note came through to balance the richer wood and leather finish. In the last third, I detected some orange-like citrus notes that seemed to balance and cut through the cocoa richness, thereby providing a smoother transition to the rich leather and tobacco finish.

This RABF has become one of my favorite cigars because it is aromatic, finely balanced, very flavorful, and leaves an extremely satisfying and enduring rich finish. It is such an effortless and lush smoke that you can easily forget that you’re actually smoking at all. The RABF never fails to put me in a positive mood, and I encourage those who haven’t smoked one to do so. I’m hoping that the test in the UK will be successful, and that the RABF will be released worldwide at some point. Does any one have any info on this matter?

Very nice review, I picked up 5 from Dec 04 a long time ago and smoked 3 of them here and there. I really think that the Ramón Allones Belicoso is the best Belicoso on the market right now, and for me, thats quite an accomplishment because for a long time, the BBF held that position.

Shrink:

What's the date? They seem to get more rounded and deeper in flavor with age -at least since I bought them last December. I would like to try some '05s myself. Maybe it's time for another jaunt across the pond.:lol:

» Very nice review, I picked up 5 from Dec 04 a long time ago and smoked 3 of

» them here and there. I really think that the Ramón Allones Belicoso is the

» best Belicoso on the market right now, and for me, thats quite an

» accomplishment because for a long time, the BBF held that position.

Once again...I totally agree Chuck. One of the best belis I've smoked in a LONG time.

~Mark

• 2 weeks later...