Montecristo Edmundo

Many of us will have tried the Edmundos before now, even tho they are only a recent addition to the range, whether at Rob’s Cigar Extravaganza Dinner or just because any new release from M/C is worth a peek. I’m a fan. If I had to use one word to describe these it would be ‘consistent’. Every one of them has been almost identical in every way (I know it should always be that way but it isn’t always so) and each individual cigar has had a consistent burn throughout and same for the flavour. They have each also exhibited very good mid-palate flavour. They have a milk coffee appearance and a milk coffee taste with hints of citrus and vanilla. I think that these would suit anyone, from a novice keen to expand into some of the finer cigars to someone who has smoked the very best. They are a useful size but undoubtedly, the hallmark of these cigars is consistency. 90.

• 2 weeks later...

First from a box brought back from Havana (ENH JUL 04) and continued the usual consistency throughout. Only point worth raising was that this did seem extremely young, almost a slight hint of greenish tobacco. Given 6 months to settle, I’m sure that these will be as good as usual. 89.

• 3 weeks later...

Brought a box of these back from Cuba last year as after having just one I was taken by how smooth & consistent these are. Even as I've heard these are very young, they still a really good smoke, nice size with a hint of cream in them.

I find it interesting, Ken, that you list consistency as a strong attribute of these cigars. Not that I doubt you. In my very limited experience thus far (a 3 pack of Edmundos), I found that each one was decidedly different in at least construction, but also the subsequent smoking experience. The first one of the 3 was like a tobacco flavored tube, and burned horribly tunnelled the entire time. The second seemed over stuffed, and suffered from the difficult draw and on-the-verge-of-going-out flavors layered in with the normal. Neither of these two gave me the impression they would have stood any significant test of time in aging.

The third, though, was a keeper, and convinced me to give these cigars another shot soon. It was a very tasty smoke, and had an underlying strength that fused many of the flavors together, making me think this cigar could easily have improved for half a decade at least. I hestitate to offer a score yet. Perhaps when I have experienced some more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nearly two months since I last tried these and I think that even that short time has helped bring them on even more. Still very much of the flavours last seen but perhaps a hint more fine spice and nuts, walnuts. Draw was excellent, consistent burn, perhaps a hint of bitter/green right at finger-burning stage but richly flavoured and if this short spell has helped then it augurs very well for the future. Like these a lot. I know that the reaction to these is mixed but i remain a fan. 91.

i hadnt really expected much from this cigar and with the others coming out at the time i didnt rush to try it, however i was gift one on two different occasions and i was actually pleasently suprissed..

while no powerhouse and a bit one dimensional i did enjoy the typicle monte flavor and felt that this could age into a decent cigar.

• 2 months later...

Big fan Ken, just started on the box from Habana, & it is just so easy to blaze up one of these puppies. I think I'll have to make a concerted effort to put them away somewhere as I don't think they'll last too long other wise.

» Not a fan of the size Ken but I do enjoy the flavour profile.

»

» They are bloody great value.

To big for you Prez? Stick with your ladies smokes, long and thin.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I have banged on about these a fair bit and that there has been some support and some less enthusiastic responses but it seems every time that I go to this well, I am more and more impressed. Took a couple on a recent trip and shared them with a mate. It may be that I just happened to jag an especially good box from the last trip to Havana but these really are special. And they seem to be getting better and better. My mate’s response to them was that he was so excited, he thought it worth opening a ‘90 Dom - now there is a cigar that has done its job. I’ve a few left in the box and am concerned that the next box won’t be as exciting but guess I’ll just have to wait. i know there are a few like-minded souls out there but are these convincing anyone else of late?

» i know there are a few like-minded souls out there but are

» these convincing anyone else of late?

Ken, this is a cigar I enjoy also. I've had a few good examples and just picked up some 3 packs from a Nov 04 box. After some time in the humi I'll post my review on these.