Bolivar Coronas Junior POS FEB06

This is a small (4.5” x 40) rich brown slightly reddish cigar with a light oily sheen. Prelight -with a notch cut- yielded a medium-firm draw and revealed a sweet, round earthiness with a hint of mustiness. This little cigar produced excellent smoke volume with a very dense, tightly serrated light grey ash sporting a few dark splotches. The burn was very even and slow burning, and this very pleasurable and satisfying smoke lasted a full hour!

The initial lighting produced a creamy and sweet, almost minty, woodiness with a light dry cocoa finish. The smoke was full, and actually soft and round in the mouth. At all times, even down to the nub (about ½ ‘), the smoke was fairly cool. At about 1” in, I started to detect a short lasting, light mushroom flavor that enhanced the initial round earthy sweetness of the smoke. This quickly progressed to a sweet woodiness with light dry cocoa, which in turn, after a few lip-smacking moments, finished with a rich, chewy, but subtle, wet leather aftertaste. The finish was actually quite long.

The progression of flavors from draw to finish was very noticeable and quite remarkable for a cigar of such young age. I took luxurious 4 second draws and then slowly exhaled billows of rich round creamy smoke. This Bolivar Junior actually tasted and smoked like a cigar of greater stature and age, but perhaps without the overall strength.

The cigar’s profile remained pretty consistent, with the individual flavor components slowing becoming more pronounced as the smoke progressed. A quality that I look for in a good smoke is the extent to which it encourages repeated inhalations and exhalations between draws in order to continue to enjoy the flavors and aromas. The Junior definitely exhibited this quality at about 1.5” into the smoke.

For those who haven’t tried the Bolivar Junior, don’t pass it up.

I was pleasantly surprised and entirely satisfied. I may in short order smoke one that I have from September 05 to see how it compares. I’ll report back soon enough.

The Bolivar Corona Junior is an excellent cigar and a stable in my humidor. The youthfulness of such a young cigar as you reviewed can sometimes bring a harsh tannic type of flavor profile. I enjoy them both young and aged.

I would not call it a Junior POS, that seams a bit crude for such a cigar.:lol3:

» The Bolivar Corona Junior is an excellent cigar and a stable in my

» humidor. The youthfulness of such a young cigar as you reviewed can

» sometimes bring a harsh tannic type of flavor profile. I enjoy them both

» young and aged.

»

» I would not call it a Junior POS, that seams a bit crude for such a

» cigar.:lol3:

The BCJ is one of my top three sticks--I happened by complete accident to buy a box in the Schiphol airport a few years ago, got home, and realized what a great smoke I had bought.

If they made them in cabs, I'd buy tons. I much prefer this to the petit corona.

Tampa:

Thanks for the feedback. How critical are the factory codes for the BCJ, or is age more of a deciding factor? An SVF SEP 05 I smoked was in many respects quite different. I'm thinking of posting another review to compare to the POS FEB06. There are obvious underlying similarities, but overall I prefer the POS 06 to the SVF 05. Typically, however, I prefer aged cigars to young ones. Go figure.

PartagasIV:

I've only had one BPC, and that was pretty plugged and required a lot of work to smoke. I understand that's atypical, so I'm reserving judgment. Hope to give it a fair shake sometime soon. Cigardawg has counseled me to buy it in CABs, as it is apparently a better smoke in that presentation.

» Tampa:

» Thanks for the feedback. How critical are the factory codes for the BCJ,

» or is age more of a deciding factor? An SVF SEP 05 I smoked was in many

» respects quite different. I'm thinking of posting another review to

» compare to the POS FEB06. There are obvious underlying similarities, but

» overall I prefer the POS 06 to the SVF 05. Typically, however, I prefer

» aged cigars to young ones. Go figure.

Stever, Over the past couple of years, the Factory Codes have basically not made a bit of difference because Habanos S.A. is changing them so rapidly and the Factory codes have not been broken down like the older stock was. These days, what is more important is the Month and the year of the box of cigars. Either of the dates that you have mentioned would be considered (at least to me) very young fresh off the truck type cigars. The Feb 06 are barely 4 months old. I typically smoke cigars with 3-5 years of age from box date if not even older if possible. The Sep 05 BCJ while being almost a year old, could have gone into a "Morphing" or what some people could call a "Dumb" period or even a "sick" period compared to the Feb 06 cigars you are comparing them to. Personally, I would say let the 05's deep sleep if the taste is off for at least 6 months, if they are still off then, give them another 6 months to develop. You might experience the same thing with the 06 BCJ as time goes by. That is why m,any people wait for the cigars to age a few years so that they have the time to mature and develop.

Great review, stever! Sounds like you've discovered a gem.

Tampa is right about the boxcodes. What really matters now is the date, not the factory codes, which are not consistent. Fortunately, all the '05's seem to be at the top of their game, and are outstanding prospects for aging. Like Tampa, it seems to me like child abuse to smoke 'em young!

People assume that the BCJ's are just shorter versions of the BPC. But the blend is different. They are typically stronger, and have a somewhat different flavor profile. However, there are some consistency problems which further blur the differences between the two vitolas. Bottom line: you've gotta stock both!

I'd love to hear your comparison review, but try to include some BCJ's and BPC's with at least a couple of years on 'em, at least.