H Upmann Conn. No. 1 (BM NISU)

Inspired by this thread ([link]http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/board_entry.php?id=30639&page=0&category=Habanos+Review+Forum&order=last_answer&descasc=DESC[/link], I decided to light one of these up yesterday. I sat out back while smoking a brisket and port tenderloin and drinking iced coffee.

H Upmann Conn. No. 1 (BM NISU)

This was a nice looking hermoso no. 4 with a light to medium brown wrapper that exhibited tight seams and a perfect triple-cap. There were only minor veins and a single water spot to mar the surface. The pre-light nose was classic Cuban, with some sweet earth and that grassy, "manure-y" barnyard nose. The pre-light draw was just about perfect.

I applied the torch to this cigar and it lit right up. The draw stayed just about perfect, not too loose, but not requiring much work either. The smoke production was phenomenal, each puff pulling mouthfuls of rich, dense smoke, perfect for smoke rings. The still air in the back yard promoted this notion mightily. The burn was dead-on perfect all the way down, never requiring me to look twice at the cigar. The ash was firm and medium-gray with decent striations. The cigar burned cool down to the nub. Outstanding construction.

Now, fresh Upmann Conn. No. 1s are not anything to write home about IMHO. However, an eight year old sample...now we're talking. It started out with a burst of sweet earthiness, but quickly settled into a flavor profile of sweet mustiness and clean tobacco. As the cigar progressed, it developed a very nice toasted tobacco flavor that hung around until the end. The cigar had a very clean and pleasant tasting finish, like toasted almonds or cashews and coffee beans. As I neared tthe end of the smoke, it developed some of the toasted nutty flavors in the smoke itself, a perfect balance to the slightly sweet musty flavors and clean tobacco. This was an incredibly enjoyable cigar.

I don't smoke a lot of robustos, but if they were all this good...I'd smoke a lot more of them. I truly enjoyed this cigar. I rate it a nice solid A (91-93). Now, to go out and find some more of them.

Another great review Reid.

The consensus appears to be that the Connie 1 needs that 7-8 years.

I would love to see a review of a 2005 Connie 1. Anyone up for it? ;-)

» Another great review Reid.

»

» The consensus appears to be that the Connie 1 needs that 7-8 years.

»

» I would love to see a review of a 2005 Connie 1. Anyone up for it? ;-)

You send it I'll smoke it.

» » Another great review Reid.

» »

» » The consensus appears to be that the Connie 1 needs that 7-8 years.

» »

» » I would love to see a review of a 2005 Connie 1. Anyone up for it? ;-)

» You send it I'll smoke it.

I'm not positive because it was gifted to me, but I believe I smoked an 05 a couple days ago. VERY young tasting and a little harsh. I have a couple more he sent me, but I don't see myself smoking them anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

» » Another great review Reid.

» »

» » The consensus appears to be that the Connie 1 needs that 7-8 years.

» »

» » I would love to see a review of a 2005 Connie 1. Anyone up for it? ;-)

» You send it I'll smoke it.

Ditto. Never had much luck with this cigar.