Partagas Coronas Senior

Partagas Coronas Senior

Box Code: AGO 05

Date of Review: June 20, 2006

This cigar was dark brown in appearance, with the wrapper having minimal veins. There were no visible defects as far as the construction goes; with the exception of a messy triple cap. The pre-light aroma had a scent of a sweet tobacco scent with light spice. The ash from this smoke was pretty typical, there was only minimal flaking. The aroma while smoking was brief at best. There was a light to medium amount of smoke that came from this cigar. The amount of smoke was too light for my liking.

The immediate pull from this cigar revealed a woodsy/leathery taste.

During the 1/3 of the smoke, I started to pick up a “musty” taste (for lack of a better word); however, it was not at all unpleasant. The “Cuban Twang” did start to set in during the first third of this cigar.  The musty taste did remain prominent through the 1/3 of the smoke. Towards the end of the 1/3, I began to taste a hint of a woodsy taste. Overall, the taste profile of the 1/3 was rather dull lacking complexity.

At the start of the 2/3, the flavor characteristics were a bit dull and difficult to pick out.

Towards the middle of the 2/3 the musty taste began to come back and was a bit stronger than it was previously. Fortunately, as I continued to smoke, my “Cuban Twang” also continued. Towards the end of the 2/3 the woodsy taste became the prominent flavor of the cigar.

As far as the final third, the taste profile mellowed out, even with the Twang in full effect. And as the cigar burnt down towards the end, I picked up that same musty taste again.

Overall, this particular cigar had no physical imperfections or mechanical problems. (Uneven burn, tight draw, unraveling, etc…). However, its lack of flavor profile made this cigar forgettable at best. Also this Partagas was a bit to mild for my taste; not enough strength. Perhaps more flavors will surface with some significant ageing. So with that in mind I will generously give this smoke a 5.

On a scale from 1-10, 1 being horrible and 10 being an instant classic, I give this smoke a 5. (Forgettable)

-Havana Joe

The cigar that you reviewed was less than a year old and a cigar that was Tubed. It makes total and perfect sense that the flavors were "dull" & "Muted". Tubed cigars slow down the development of the cigars and therefore take much longer to develop into a satisfying cigar. Smoking a Tubed cigar with less than 5 years from the box code date IMHO is an exercise in futility. A tubed cigar should develop in 5 years what a non-tubed cigar would develop in around 1.5-2 years.

While your review is descriptive of what you experienced, what I see is that your review is also classical of smoking a cigar extremely too young.

Good point, Chuck. I was going to mention that this was a tubed cigar. From my experiences, the difference in the Coronas Senior from a PSD4 or a Party Short is Night and Day. It was almost like they didn't come from the same line/brand...

» Good point, Chuck. I was going to mention that this was a tubed cigar. From

» my experiences, the difference in the Coronas Senior from a PSD4 or a Party

» Short is Night and Day. It was almost like they didn't come from the same

» line/brand..

I have some Part shorts that came from Rob and they are wild alive. The first box is half gone and I 've had them about a month.

» During the 1/3 of the smoke, I started to pick up a “musty” taste (for

» lack of a better word); however, it was not at all unpleasant.

I've smoke three of the tubos. I think I know what you are talking about when you describe the unique "musty" taste. It's not comparable with the flavors notes from the other Partagas vitolas. Instead of "musty", to me the flavor was sort of "soapy". Now, that sounds like it's bad, but it's not. It's just very different. I like the cigar, especially considering it's price.