Trinidad Fundadores (OIK DIC04)

Sat out back on Sunday afternoon/evening with my wife and a great friend, drank some iced coffee, and enjoyed the day with this cigar. Here are my thoughts:

Trinidad Fundadores (OIK DIC04)

This was a gorgeous cigar. The wrapper was a medium-brown with just a hint of a colorado hue to it. There were also good oils in the wrapper and it was very toothy. There were only minor veins, but they added to the appearance. The seams were tight and nigh invisible and the triple-cap and pig-tail were expertly done. The pre-light nose was prominent, with sweet earth, wood, grassy notes, and leather all present. The pre-light draw was just about perfect, firm, yet easy at the same time.

I applied flame and the cigar lit right up. Testing the draw I found it to be perfect. The smoke production was fantastic. Each puff brought mouthfuls of thick, dense smoke from the cigar. The smoke was so dense that it clung to the deck-steps as it moved up them. With the sun filtering through it...it was quite beautiful. The ash was medium gray with excellent striations. The ash was also firm, staying on the cigar 1 to 1.5 inches at a time. The smoke stayed cool throughout the entire experience and the burn required absolutely no attention whatsoever.

I have not smoked a Trini in a while, so I had almost forgotten how good they can be. I've had a couple of aged ones (98) that were better, but this one was pretty darned good. It started with some earthy/leathery notes with a slightly grassy overtone. The grassiness is similar to that found in the Cohiba, but less sweet. This flavor profile was dominant thoughtout the first third of the cigar. As I entered the second third, the smoke developed some wonderful toasted-tobacco flavors that reminded me of almonds. This was intermixed with the earthy/leathery tastes to create a wonderful balance. The grassiness had all but disappeared by this point. As I entered the last third, a final component was added to the balanced flavor medley...coffee/espresso. It was not a full-bodied, but the coffee bean flavors were definitely there to compliment the others. Outstanding cigar.

I absolutely enjoyed this cigar. The construction was wonderful. The taste was outstanding. Nothing much to find fault with in this one. I rate this cigar a strong A (92-94)...it will most definitely be a classic in a few years.

Another great review Dawg :clap:

I struggle to choose between the Fundadores and the Lancero when I am looking for a flavour packed elegant cigar. Throw Partagas Serie De Connoisseur No 1 into the mix and it can become a real dilemma :lol:

» Another great review Dawg :clap:

»

» I struggle to choose between the Fundadores and the Lancero when I am

» looking for a flavour packed elegant cigar. Throw Partagas Serie De

» Connoisseur No 1 into the mix and it can become a real dilemma :lol:

Throw a well-aged Montecristo Especial No. 1 in with the rest and now you're in for some mental indigestion.:-P Hell, as it is it sometimes takes me 10 minutes of standing in front of the cabinet trying to decide what to smoke.

» » Another great review Dawg :clap:

» »

» » I struggle to choose between the Fundadores and the Lancero when I am

» » looking for a flavour packed elegant cigar. Throw Partagas Serie De

» » Connoisseur No 1 into the mix and it can become a real dilemma :lol:

»

» Throw a well-aged Montecristo Especial No. 1 in with the rest and now

» you're in for some mental indigestion.:-P Hell, as it is it sometimes

» takes me 10 minutes of standing in front of the cabinet trying to decide

» what to smoke.

Gee, life is sure tough sometimes... :-|

Smoked my first Fundadore last night (recent release). What an incredible experience. I've smoked some Robusto Extras in the past, and enjoyed them, but this was an entirely new level. Perfect construction and draw, burned razor sharp all the way down. Just loaded with creamy flavor, a completely refined and elegant cigar.

I can only imagine what an aged example has to offer, must put a box of these away soon.

:-D

Very well written review. I especially enjoyed your description of the smoke in relation to the environment. For me, watching the smoke leave my mouth and travel across the room/air is an ancillary boost to the enjoyment of the cigars taste.

Elegant is a great word to describes these...

They posses a delectable refined creaminess with the occasional hint of spice underlyed with a consistant citris flavor that has blown my doors off...

This was the first cigar I ever had that I detected citris in and as such has a special place in my mind. The best Trinidad IMNSHO...