Partagas Serie P No. 2

JMH

Can't remember precisely, but I think this was early '05 production.

What a stunnigly pretty cigar. A beautiful shade of brown, perfectly complemented by the red and gold band. Clipped... well damn one of the loosest draws I've come across in recent months. I lit it up, and at that point I was seriously considering ditching it for a HdM 2003 EL. Luckily I didn't, after a few minutes the heat must have warmed the rest of the cigar and expanded the leaves (or something entirely different happened?) and the draw became a fair bit firmer - not perfect, it was still too loose for my liking, but miles ahead of what it used to be.

The first ~2/5 consisted of an intensly creamy, woody sweetness - quite unlike any Partagas I've ever smoked before. Incredibly thick, it seemed to stick to the inside of my mouth (anyone who has been hungry enough to eat plain peanut butter off a spoon will know the sensation I'm trying to describe ;-) ) Every now and then I'd get a hit of some kind of sweet spice on top of the other flavours.

The next ~1/5 was a typical Partagas style earthy spice.

The last ~2/5 of the cigar was somewhat of a mix of the first ~3/5. The creamy, woody sweetness returned, but it was also accompanied by some of the earthy spice, not to mention a touch of cocoa here and there.

I drank a Sanpellegrino Mandarino whilst smoking this cigar, and while it might seem a little strange (I only chose it because it was the last thing left in the fridge) the two worked perfectly together. Something I'll definately be doing again in the future.

A cracker of a cigar, marred by a less than perfect draw. 92/100

Thanks for the review. I have 2 10'ers myself and they are amongst the most beautiful cigars I have seen, much like yours. This smoke to me is quite different than say a Short or PSD4, not so much in your face even at their young age and much more rich but then again this is JMHO. This review makes me want to fire one up right now. :-P

plain peanut butter off a spoon

»

» A cracker of a cigar, marred by a less than perfect draw. 92/100

Must disagree about the draw; I loved it! Nice easy pull, which I favor...but so full of what you describe nicely as peanut butter off a spoon. Very apt! Creamy too! My only mistake with this cigar was not giving it enough time in the humi for the first few sticks. 6 months minimum has paid huge dividends. Wish I could spring for an aged box!

I'm still a newbie, but I'd score this one a touch higher, like 93.

I just got a 10 pk of these and they do feel soft, almost underfilled. I am sure that they will have a very loose draw. I have some older sticks that are wonderful (feel and burn). I hope that the newer ones firm up with a little down time in the humi.

Thanks for the nice review.