San Cristobal Mercaderes Review.

San Cristobal Mercaderes (48 ring gauge & 167 mm long) Hermoso No 1

Enjoyed late at night Thursday with Angelo and Dag from PCC. I didn't expect much as this was the 5th cigar of the day. I had been enjoying throughout the day Partagas Serie De Connoisseur No 3's (my current small vitola Favourite).

We were at the Establishment nightlcub (upstairs) which is not a bad place for a cigar. Music was not too loud, drinks were plentiful, eye candy abound.

The cigar had perfect construction. Clasic colorado wrapper, nice cap, no hard or soft spots with an aroma at cold of sweet spice and cut hay. This disturbed me as I HATE grassy/herbal flavours in cigars.

Cerrated the cap with my nails, flicked the cap. Draw was a touch easier than I like. Sweetish on the lips.

Lit the cigar with a $1 Bic and settled back.

From the get go I was impressed. There was no acrid start (which I tend to expect from a young cigar) but rather an infusion of sweet molasses and milk coffee. This impressive flavour profile stayed to the end to varying degrees. It is unfair to expect this cigar to have complexity at this point of it's lifecycle. The burn was acceptable and not once was I confronted with a bitter flavour. I nubbed it on the way home to the Westin hotel.

What impressed me most was how San Cristobal has developed a

quintessential "style". Well done.

Sounds nice, I've been meaning to try one lately. I was having a smoke and a few beers in the Westin thursday night. Been meaning to get to Establishment but I haven't made it yet.

I'll have to have another one as the first showed promise but didn't "wow" me. The construction was perfect and the smell was divine but I was left a bit "off" with the flavors. I equate that to its youth but will have to have "number 2" soon to compare.

Very stylish cigar though....nice size too!

» San Cristobal Mercaderes (48 ring gauge & 167 mm long) Hermoso No 1

»

» Enjoyed late at night Thursday with Angelo and Dag from PCC. I didn't

» expect much as this was the 5th cigar of the day. I had been enjoying

» throughout the day Partagas Serie De Connoisseur No 3's (my current small

» vitola Favourite).

»

» We were at the Establishment nightlcub (upstairs) which is not a bad place

» for a cigar. Music was not too loud, drinks were plentiful, eye candy

» abound.

el p - you should have told me. i was round the corner smoking slr's and drinking some 50 year old hunter crackers. all work, of course.

And they sure are presented nice. They come in a double packaged "box set", the varnished wooded box is set in a cardboard outer container with all the seals on the outside (like a gift). I'm glad to see they are already smokable, I put these as deep in my cabinet as they will go to give them at least a couple more months......I'll see how long that lasts.

» Nice review - these sound fantastic.

» You might want to have a look at the review forum some time,

» where most members post their.......huh?...... prez who?

» never mind.

You could be my wife you are so picky :lol:

To the Sydney Crew...it crossed my mind to let you know I was down but because it was a business meeting I had no idea of the format it would take. We will rectify it soon.

Ken...I new you were there. ;-)

» I'm really glad us Mexicans are in the know...so both Ken and Rob are in

» Sydney and not one bothers to drop one of us Sydney FOHers a line to say

» gday. how's that for poor form!;-)

here's a line - g'day!

i'm sure you could imagine how much the wine company involved would have loved it for me to excuse myself from the wonderful tasting that they had organised and flown me down for (all work, of course) with some of their last remaining 50 year old bottles so i could bugger off and have a smoke.

but next time, i might try it!

» San Cristobal Mercaderes (48 ring gauge & 167 mm long) Hermoso No 1

»

We were at the Establishment nightlcub (upstairs) which is not a bad place

» for a cigar. Music was not too loud, drinks were plentiful, eye candy

» abound.

last time i was at the establishment nightclub, sonia mcmahon was knocking back dom 98.

interesting to see the thoughts on this one. tried one recently and was very impressed. tight construction, slow burn and good cone. a little hot for the last third but put that down to youth. reasonably mild flavours, dense smoke, still very young, spice, citrus, creamy coffee. i thought that it was a terrific young smoke and i would highly recommend everyone give them a try. only reservation is that at this stage, i really do think that they are seriously young and the other couple i picked up from rob will go in the deep storage section. think that they might get even better. 91.