Hoyo de Monterrey Petite Robusto (KMM MAY04)

As I said in this thread...

[link]http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/board_entry.php?id=26158&page=0&category=Habanos+Review+Forum&order=last_answer&descasc=DESC[/link]

I smoked a HdM Petite Robusto over the weekend. It was an 04 from close to the original release date (I think). Here are my thoughts on this little fire-plug of a cigar.

Hoyo de Monterrey Petite Robusto (KMM MAY04)

This cigar had a light to medium brown wrapper. It felt very good in the hand. There were some visible veins, but the seams were almost invisible. The triple-flagged cap was well applied and neat. The cigar had a mild to moderate nose of wood and earthy tobacco. I clipped, as usual, and tested the draw...very nice.

As I sparked the cigar I noted that the draw became even better. The smoke production was excellent, each easy puff pulling abundant thick smoked from the cigar. The ash was medium gray and firm. The cigar burned evenly until the very end when it began to stray...too late at this point to care. The smoke was cool throughout the smoke and stayed that way down to the nub. A very well constructed smoke.

This cigar was a dead-on medium bodied smoke. There was little nicotine left in the tobacco...no buzz whatsoever. The initial flavors were of wood and herbs with just a slight citrus undertone. As the cigar progress, it became smoother and developed more wood on the front and citrus on the back. Near the mid-point, the flavor developed a slight floral overtone to compliment the wood. It was in no way a creamy smoke, more rough aroud the edges. The final flavors were heavy on wood, herbs, and citrus.

This cigar performed extremely well and had some good flavors. However, the flavor profile just does not fit my taste. A very good cigar that has changed substantially from when I first tasted them. I rate it a B+ (87-89).

Tks for the review. I bought a 15 pack of these when they first came out and smoked a couple. Wasn't impressed at all. Maybe I should revist them and see if they're any better. It's been at least a year since I had one.

Great review. I had a 2005 box, smoked em young, and they were delicious. The rapid evolution of the profile draws you in and the length leaves you wanting more. I wonder what this mix in a robusto size would yield? Yup, I agree. Time to try another box!

» Tks for the review. I bought a 15 pack of these when they first came out

» and smoked a couple. Wasn't impressed at all. Maybe I should revist them

» and see if they're any better. It's been at least a year since I had one.

Took the words right out of mah mouth...

nice review. my observations of the petite robustos have been very similar to the monte edmundo in that a number of persons who tried them early on came out against them but, after revisiting more recent offerings or going back to the original releases after a while, there is growing respect for them. still, there are some who simply do not like this vitola's size. as a big robusto smoker, however, i like the girth in this short time smoke.