Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de Dieux

Box code: SUA 11/04

Appearance: medium brown with a few prominent veins.

First time ever with this cigar. I had been smoking the usual cigars, and I decided to order something a little different. So I headed to the local tobacco shop with my wife, and we sat down in the lounge area to relax. I must say that this was an unexpectedly fantastic cigar. It was medium bodied with predominant tastes of wood and some spice. It's hard to pinpoint exactly, but the only thing I could think about while smoking it was great woodiness. The draw was very good, being neither too loose no too tight, but the cigar went out several times over the course of the hour. I also had to touch it up a bit, but overall, it was a VERY enjoyable smoke.

Flavor: 73/75

Draw: 16/20

Construction 1/2

Burn 2/3

Overall 92/100

» Great review!

»

» With a little more time it will develop sweet creamy charachteristichs which the Le Hoyo line is famous for ;-)

Prez: do you have a lisp, or did you just have a de Dieux in between your fingers as you typed this?

When this cigar is "on", it delivers a sweet woody smoke as thick as chocholatte mousse (or mouthe, if you will).

» » Great review!

» »

» » With a little more time it will develop sweet creamy

» charachteristichs which the Le Hoyo line is famous for ;-)

»

» Prez: do you have a lisp, or did you just have a de Dieux in between your

» fingers as you typed this?

»

» When this cigar is "on", it delivers a sweet woody smoke as thick as

» chocholatte mousse (or mouthe, if you will).

Yep, everything they just said. Love this cigar...and yes, was very pleasantly surprised by my first one. Thanks for the review...reminds me that I have not had one in a while.:hungry:

» » Great review!

» »

» » With a little more time it will develop sweet creamy

» charachteristichs which the Le Hoyo line is famous for ;-)

»

» Prez: do you have a lisp, or did you just have a de Dieux in between your

» fingers as you typed this?

»

» When this cigar is "on", it delivers a sweet woody smoke as thick as

» chocholatte mousse (or mouthe, if you will).

No Lisp....but had just finished a bottle of Red :-D

I had a real Jones for this cigar for awhile then stopped smoking them. Bought 5 in my last order, and now I can't understand why I stopped. Creamy chocolate taste is still there, sometimes a cigar can be almost too rich, but it is only in my taste buds. I always enjoy this cigar, and have only had one that didn't come up to snuff.

Exotic woods are the predominant flavors that I get from these.

Because the Hoyo marca has the reputation for being mild -- a reputation that is furthered by Habanos s.a., by the way -- until recently I have mostly avoided the line. Since then I have been wonderfully rewarded by smoking des Dieux, du Gourmet and Choix Supremes in abundance. "Mild" cigars do not have to be flavorless.

» Exotic woods are the predominant flavors that I get from these.

»

» Because the Hoyo marca has the reputation for being mild -- a reputation

» that is furthered by Habanos s.a., by the way -- until recently I have

» mostly avoided the line. Since then I have been wonderfully rewarded by

» smoking des Dieux, du Gourmet and Choix Supremes in abundance. "Mild"

» cigars do not have to be flavorless.

I too have not been a real Hoyo fan because of the"mild" reputation but when I picked up a box of the de Dieux I was very suprised and pleased with the purchase. Love the Dieux.

Van, well said! If one is willing to smoke these "mild cigars" on a clean palate with the time to devote to the cigar they will be well rewarded. The Le Hoyo and ERdM marcas require patience (5-8 years) but they age beautifully developing both great complexity and strength.

» Because the Hoyo marca has the reputation for being mild -- a reputation

» that is furthered by Habanos s.a., by the way -- until recently I have

» mostly avoided the line. Since then I have been wonderfully rewarded by

» smoking des Dieux, du Gourmet and Choix Supremes in abundance. "Mild"

» cigars do not have to be flavorless.

I've only smoked a few of these and have to say I am disappointed with this smoke. The taste of burnt wood overpowers the other flavors and a noxious soapy aftertaste makes it impossible to finish this smoke. It is very possible that this is in a sick phase. I will wait another year before I smoke another.

Not a big fan of the Hoyo line, as they are usually too mild for me. However, I got talked into a box of 02 Des Dieux that are simply excellent. Rich, woody flavors & some nice body too. Well worth smoking.