latest on SLR DC\'s

hardly touched a cigar for a week or two as detoxing from the cuba trip and getting over a cold but thought it was time the other night. then i thought it was time for something serious so pulled out one of the latest SLR DC's i've been able to prise from rob's knarled and twisted fingers. from a cab - JHT Nov 04 . had not intended this as a review cigar as just kicking back but it was just so good i had to give it a mention (and so good that i think i have to sacrifice another for the sake of the forum and a review). it didn't seem quite as massively powerful as the earlier vintages and the draw was much easier than these usually are but it was still a really impressive smoke, one that went right down to burnt fingers. the power picked up in the 2nd half but the first half was all caramel, cooffee and cream, just dripping with chocolate. more so than i am used to from these. as mentioned, not intended as a review smoke but if i was, have to be thinking 93 ish. need to try another very soon.

one personal yardstick is how i feel after the cigar. if i feel like another, because it was so enjoyable and not because it was lacking, then it is a sign that it was a top cigar. with the SLR DC, no matter how good, i rarely feel like another because they are so powerful. after this one, i did.

After trying the one the other day, I had to revisit as soon as I could. What I did find that was interesting was that the cab I got from Rob in Jan 05 was same code as the one that both these smokes came from that I got in Nov 05. I know Rob only gets a small allocation so I suspect that Havana lets these out in dribs and drabs. Rob, put me down for the next allocation!

Both of these were a much lighter colour than the ones I first got from Rob in May 03 and April 04 but those were bought in bunches and not as a full cab so can’t give the codes.

This was an attractive creamy coffee colour and there was an almost dusty feeling to it. Smelt cold, it had some, though not a lot, of that enticing earthy, truffly, almost human sweat character that the best cigars seem to have. A personal observation but one that works for me.

Took real care to light this to avoid any later complications. Whether the previous one was an aberration, a nice one albeit, who knows, but this was much closer to what I think of as a typical SLR DC. The draw was that familiar solid tight, but not too tight, feel. Just what you want in a serious cigar - I think you need to know you’ve smoked it and boy, do you know you have smoked these. Back to the complexity and richness, intensity and power that make these so good. The flavours were much more dark chocolate and espresso. There was earth and fungally truffly notes, some light spices and a hint of fruitcake. Towards the end, a hint of mint. Must say that isn’t something I usually associate with these.

It had superb construction, great length of flavour and that typical very slow burn. This took nigh on two hours, about twice the time for the other night. It did get a smidge ragged towards the end but this was more because I probably wasn’t paying it the due attention. Definitely one for going to the nub. I’m hoping that this is more typical of the rest of the cab. Guess I’ll have to try a few more to find out. This was an easy 94. Just love them.

I think that these are at the very top of the Havana tree. Interestingly, none of my mates in Havana have ever seen one. They are obviously export only so don’t head there expecting to pick them up. Means I have to keep being nice to el Prez.

I tried my first yesterday. A great looking cigar, it felt good, though

a bit on the light side. after lighting, my initial impression was the

taste of a fine dessert wine - a fruity sweetness without being

cloying.

The burn was a problem early on. It canoed a bit for the first

couple of inches, and required constant attention. The draw was

a bit tight, and smoke volume was lacking.

As the cigar warmed up, it became increasingly soft, to the point

that I'd have to call this one underfilled.

Throughout, this was mild to medium in body. The flavor mellowed

out, and at this point, had become fairly bland.

I had grabbed this a couple of hours after my mishap with this

months test cigar - I guess it wasn't my day for cigars! Though it

was a bit of a let down, I don't consider this a true representation

of this cigar. I have a couple more, and I'm looking forward to

trying my next.

IMO these need plenty of time to rest. Put them down for a decade or get some aged ones that have been put down for that long. I still have a few years to go (About 4) left on mine. Discipline is just so difficult, especially when they speak to you and beg to be smoked. Uggh. The things we have to put up with. lol.

Ken.

You have hit on an excellent point....albeit completely unintentionally :-D

The looser the draw, the narrower the flavour spectrum.

You need to pull on a Cuban cigar. It should not be uncomfortable...but it should be necessary. What you will find is that the body of the cigar and the flavour spectrum will increase.

» Ken.

»

» You have hit on an excellent point....albeit completely unintentionally

» :-D

»

» The looser the draw, the narrower the flavour spectrum.

»

» You need to pull on a Cuban cigar. It should not be uncomfortable...but it

» should be necessary. What you will find is that the body of the cigar and

» the flavour spectrum will increase.

charming. so you have completely forgotten our previous conversation on this very issue. i will be in shortly. bring out the good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

This is by far my favorite DC. I have them from 02, 04 & 05. Haven't opened the 05s yet, but seem to be partial to the 04s over the 02s. The 04s taste spicier, while some of the 02s have very tight rolls.