ERdM Tainos - 1998

ERdM Tainos - 1998

While this vitola is not new to me it had been some time since I enjoyed one from 1998. Th color was light colorado with a light oil sheen and a bit of a mottled look where the oils were more pronounced. As with most Tainos I have had this was hard to the touch, but drew perfectly when cut. I do not recall ever having a Tainos that was less than perfect from a construction standpoint, leading me to believe that a select few must roll these cigars. IMO one of the best constructed cigars from Havana.

The cigar was in my humidor for about 30 days and was most likely at 61-62% humidity. The cigar lit beautifully and burned beautifully from start to finish. No relights or touch ups. The cigar burned with a flat face and at a slow pace. The smoke was ample and very creamy in texture. The flavor profile was woody with tones of non citus fruit and hints of honey. Also you can detect a freshness on the palate, almost a grassiness but in a good sense. I would consider the Tainos medium in strength with perfect balance and complexity. Most interesting was the Tainos had a very solid finish, but when it subsided my palate felt fresh.

The ERdM Tainos has always been one of my favorite vitolas. This cigar never disappoints and IMO is one of the gems of Havana cigars.

Delicious cigar.... I was surprised about the creaminess that these have brought on with the aging.... Newer ones don't taste like they will have this characteristic that the '98s have but I can't say for sure until they get there.... If you can find the 98's, defintely pick yourself up a box... :ok:

• 9 months later...

Thanks for the review. I enjoyed a '98 Tainos about a week ago, and was similarly impressed by the quality of construction. It was medium-bodied with a sweet herbal profile. Most surprising were notes of plum or cherry in the finish. A delicious cigar.

• 2 weeks later...

» Very nice review. This is a cigar that I have yet to smoke. Will put it

» on my short list when I get to sampling the Julieta 2 vitola.

» Thanks again for the review.

I haven't tried this one, either. I bet we have met at one of the HH Herfs. I've been to three but haven't made one in a month now.

This review makes them sound like a must try! Thanks, cigarnv ;-)

Steve

Great cigar, I have one boxes 2002, smoking time to time.

Legend wants that these cigars have same "ligada" of Dom Perignon of Davidoff ;-)