Montecristo Especial No. 1 (NOSC SS2)

OK, some of you probably remember me asking about these and other smaller ring gauge cigars recently. After hearing what the forum had to say, I decide to give these a spin. Not meaning to, I stumbled across a box of '97s and thought, aw hell, why not. Smoked one on Thursday night during our usual get together. Here are my thoughts:

Montecristo Especial No. 1 (NOSC SS2)

This is just an elegante looking cigar. This one had a milk-chocolate brown wrapper with some minor veins. I've seen better and tighter seams, but never a better triple flag and pig-tail. The nose was mild, but earthy and woody all at the same time. Must say there was that very pleasant "barn-yard" aroma to these. I clipped it and was greeted to the most wonderful pre-light draw. Now my interest was truly up.

I applied the torch to the foot and it let up in seconds. I gave that first test draw and....YES, perfect. I love when a long panetela or lancero (I suppose in this case, palmas larga) draws well. The smoke production was out of this world for such a small ring gauge cigar. Each puff prompted mouthfuls of rich smoke from the Especial. The burn was sharp as a razor, never requiring any touch ups. The ash was medium gray and a bit flakey, but not too messy. The cigar did not heat up until the one-inch-left-mark. At this point, the smoke became a little warm and I just relaxed and let it cool between draws. Couldn't help it...had to nub it.

The taste, oh my Gawd, the taste. I don't usually agree with MRN on tasting notes. I think he wrote a great book, but we obviously have different palates. This time, however, he nailed it. I tasted the "bean" flavors...vanilla, coffee, cocoa...all mixed in with hints of earth and wood to create an absolute symphony of taste sensations. This cigar was complex, constantly changing the mix of these components, but always remaining in balance. I would call it medium bodied from the beginning to the midpoint, but medium to full after that. Toward the end, the coffee bean flavors became the dominant taste, but mixed with some nice creaminess and a touch of sweetness on the palate.

After only one of these, I have to say it was in the top 5 cigars that I have ever smoked. Construction, taste, everything came together for the almost perfect cigar. It was so good, I had to call my Mate and tell her just how good it was. Oh yeah, I definitely give this one an A+ (95 and up). Truly a classic smoke IMHO.

Excellent review! I have found that I taste a "Gingerbread" quality when smoking the Montecristo Especial No. 1. Truly an elegant cigar with classical flavors and tastes! I believe that according to Habanos S.A., they are classified as a Laguito No. 1. I really enjoy these cigars Thanks for the review!

Tampa

» Excellent review! I have found that I taste a "Gingerbread" quality when

» smoking the Montecristo Especial No. 1. Truly an elegant cigar with

» classical flavors and tastes! I believe that according to Habanos S.A.,

» they are classified as a Laguito No. 1. I really enjoy these cigars Thanks

» for the review!

»

» Tampa

You are 100% right. I had the Partagas Serie du Conn. No. 1 on the brain. Sorry about the goof.:-P

You are 100% right. I had the Partagas Serie du Conn. No. 1 on the brain. Sorry about the goof.:-P

You don't have to apologize for having either of these cigars "on the brain". They are truly "best in class", and worthy of our most magnificent obsession!

Your review captures this cigar like a photograph.

There are so many great cigars in the Laguito No. 1 and similar vitolas. I'm fortunate to have many in my humidor, but rarely find the time to smoke them. :-(

Great review! Makes me want to grab one, but it's raining outside...