Vegas Robaina Don Alejandros

The stars were out tonight in more ways than one.

Mr. Robaina demonstrated his profound ability to produce a bit of magic when they rolled this Double Corona back in '98.

When I first got them a year or so ago I was less-than-thrilled. All who know me know I have no patience to let my stash acclimate and recapture the characteristics they might have had prior to their overseas journey. Therefore, I was left with a "Gee I spent a lot on these and wonder why" kind of attitude.

Well, once again I got the "slap in the face" reality that you just have to let 'em SIT!! So tonight I brought out a couple for my neighbor and I to enjoy while looking at the stars on an unusually warm and clear March night here in Virginia.

The tastes still linger and I tell you--they're wonderful! The aroma was pure Heaven!! My neighbor a good distance away called out how "wonderful" those cigars smell! I wholeheartedly agreed. A bit sweet, a bit woody, earthy--you name it---it had it all.

I had a winner the other night in the aged Partagas SD4 I reviewed and suffice to say; I'm on a roll. Another winner. Big time.

I recently picked up another box--this one from '01 and they too are superb. Tonight though--the '98 took the cake.

If you haven't smoked these (properly aged and humidified I might add), then do yourself a favor and get some!!

Bruce, I love Vegas Robaina. And the more I smoke 'em, the more I am convinced that they are an incredible bargain. The quality of the tobacco, manufacture and presentation are equal to anything coming out of Cuba. IME, they also age exceptionally well.

I have also had the experience of investing in a box of habanos that initially seemed disappointing, only to put them away and be pleasantly surprised, if not delighted, months or years later. I have a box of '97 Famosos that among my most cherished smokes.

Thanks for candidly sharing your experience.

I just recieved 1 of them in a swap. Thinking of trying it Sunday as the start of my golf season.

I have an 05 box of Classicos. Only smoked 1 so far. Found it to be very sweet and delicious, until the last third , when it bacame harsh and tarry. I just chalk that up to a young cigar. So I will just half to try again in 6 months or so.

» I have an 05 box of Classicos. Only smoked 1 so far. Found it to be very

» sweet and delicious, until the last third , when it bacame harsh and tarry.

hal - do yourself a big favor, and put that '05 box away for two or three years. Get another box of Clasicos with age... I have seen '03s and '01s available. My '01s are simply tremendous... one of the best Saturday brunchtime smokes I have ever had.

I know that many people have little will power to let New Arrivals SIT and adjust to the humidor once a shipment arrives, and I have to admit that there was a time I too was among those of you that are of the same frame of mind, BUT I continued to be highly disappointed just about every time I fired up a New Cigar BECAUSE it just didn't taste right, didn't burn right, the cigar was harsh or bitter toward the end, something was ALWAYS missing. I wasted so many excellent cigars burning them before they had time to settle. I wasted so much money thinking that I could judge how the box was developing by firing up that stick less than 5 minutes after the postman had walked away from my door. I say this to all of you that are of this mind set that in my opinion, all you are doing is wasting a great cigar and throwing away your hard earned cash by doing so. I learned that HARD way, and I speak from my own experience.

Do yourself a BIG favor and let your new arrivals SIT in the humidor and allow them the opportunity to adjust from the shipment. The cigars will taste so much better and you will have a far greater appreciation of your cigars if you allow them the time in the humidor before you fire one up. I am telling you, you will appreciate them far more if you do!

» I know that many people have little will power to let New Arrivals SIT and

» adjust to the humidor once a shipment arrives, and I have to admit that

» there was a time I too was among those of you that are of the same frame

» of mind, BUT I continued to be highly disappointed just about every time I

» fired up a New Cigar BECAUSE it just didn't taste right, didn't burn right,

» the cigar was harsh or bitter toward the end, something was ALWAYS missing.

» I wasted so many excellent cigars burning them before they had time to

» settle. I wasted so much money thinking that I could judge how the box was

» developing by firing up that stick less than 5 minutes after the postman

» had walked away from my door. I say this to all of you that are of this

» mind set that in my opinion, all you are doing is wasting a great cigar

» and throwing away your hard earned cash by doing so. I learned that HARD

» way, and I speak from my own experience.

»

» Do yourself a BIG favor and let your new arrivals SIT in the humidor and

» allow them the opportunity to adjust from the shipment. The cigars will

» taste so much better and you will have a far greater appreciation of your

» cigars if you allow them the time in the humidor before you fire one up. I

» am telling you, you will appreciate them far more if you do!

When I think back year's ago to the '98 DARK and oily Bolivar Immensas I gave away because I PRESUMED they were less-than stellar after smoking a couple upon arrival, I could cry!:crying: Six month's later I had just 6 or so left and discovered what they REALLY were had I just let them rest!! Oh well--live and learn! :lol2:

VRDAs are excellent cigars, imho. Back in 01 I bought some that were tight as crap, or so I thought. As the years passed and the ligero rich tobbacco aged they turned out to be rolled just right. The blend to my pallate is earthy with a strong taste of nuts.

It seems that VRDAs need some time to age . . . anyone else have any thoughts on that?

Also how is the recent production?

» I know that many people have little will power to let New Arrivals SIT and

» adjust to the humidor once a shipment arrives, and I have to admit that

» there was a time I too was among those of you that are of the same frame

» of mind, BUT I continued to be highly disappointed just about every time I

» fired up a New Cigar BECAUSE it just didn't taste right, didn't burn right,

» the cigar was harsh or bitter toward the end, something was ALWAYS missing.

» I wasted so many excellent cigars burning them before they had time to

» settle. I wasted so much money thinking that I could judge how the box was

» developing by firing up that stick less than 5 minutes after the postman

» had walked away from my door. I say this to all of you that are of this

» mind set that in my opinion, all you are doing is wasting a great cigar

» and throwing away your hard earned cash by doing so. I learned that HARD

» way, and I speak from my own experience.

»

» Do yourself a BIG favor and let your new arrivals SIT in the humidor and

» allow them the opportunity to adjust from the shipment. The cigars will

» taste so much better and you will have a far greater appreciation of your

» cigars if you allow them the time in the humidor before you fire one up. I

» am telling you, you will appreciate them far more if you do!

Tampa,

Thats wisdom brother. Thank you. It will take time but I will eventually try this zen like approach to smoking.

The VRs, and most habanos, need time to develop. While I've never had a truly exceptional DA I do know that the '97 famosos are tremendous smokes. I could kick myself for not jumping when they were available.

I have re-learned this lesson over and over again, smoking cigars within days or hours of their arrival. I did it again this last week with some 01 VR Unicos. They were unremarkable as I told a friend. One week later they were much improved.

Tampa how long do you think is a good rest period and does it matter how long they have traveled?

Guest hellbub

First, congratulations on your new discovery of those Don Alejandros. I too, have what’s left of a box ’98 DA’s. When I first received them in ’99, I was new to Cuban cigars. When I lit the first one up I was very disappointed, I thought they were crap, and at the same time felt I might have been burned. At the time I had no knowledge of aging, and how fine cigars respond to proper storage. Out of frustration and I suppose some humiliation, I put them away and forgot about them, and not because I knew what I was doing. Two-three years later, I wanted to try something different, and revisited the DA’s. I got quite a surprise. They were absolutely wonderful, and so began my education.

I’ve been a member of this forum for almost a year, and, not an active participant. I’ve not felt I have a whole lot to contribute, as I’m only beginning to understand the long-term effects of letting them rest. I responded to this thread for a couple of reasons, I’ve had a similar experience with this cigar, but I wanted to respond to Tampa’s post. I have personally found Chucks input on aging to be very insightful and helpful to me. If I can be allowed to make a suggestion to those of you who are relatively new to this hobby, and this forum, go look at some of his past posts. Chuck is quite consistent and adamant in his knowledge of storing cigars. I believe that he does this because he like many of us want to see people get the full enjoyment and experience the full potential of what these Habanos have to offer. IMHO I can’t think of a simpler piece of advice regarding cigars than “let ‘em rest”.

I have what’s left of a box of Lusitanias from ’97. This was a cigar I would frequently give away. I never got any of those “wow” encounters from them till last spring. I lit one up, but due to past experiences, I didn’t give it my full attention. After I’d finished, the thought crossed my mind that I think I just smoked something special, and I missed it. Two weeks later, I lit another, and had an incredible smoke. I’d heard about cream before, but never experienced it first hand. From almost start to finish, there were wave after wave of creamy tang, I think that I also became much more aware of what complexity is about, and it’s something I now look forward to in my cigars. Those particular cigars took almost seven years to get to that point for me. I have seven left, and needless to say, I won’t be giving any more of them away.

Down thru the years, I’ve met a number of dedicated cigar smokers, who have dismissed Cuban cigars because they tried them once or twice and didn’t think much of them. I’m telling you, if the first Habanos I ever smoked was a RASS, and probably anything else fresh for that matter, I would not have any of them in my possession. Even if I had been more involved with the forum over the last year, I wouldn’t have posted on any of the “best freshie” threads. I just do not like them. I felt like quite the oddball, when so many fellows find enjoyment out of them. That’s where people like Chuck helped out. Chuck, thanks.