Romeo Y Julieta Belicoso (REC JUL01)

cigardawg

This past weekend was a very nice Habanos smoking time. My first was the RYJ Belicoso.

Romeo Y Julieta Belicoso (REC JUL01)

This cigar was aesthetically pleasing, as I find most belicosos. Just something about the size. There were a couple of significant veins, but the seams were neat and almost invisible. There was a pre-light nose of leather with hints of earth and wood. I tasted the tobacco prior to clipping and it had a mild leathery/herbal taste. I clipped it and tested the draw...a little tight.

Initial draw after lighting was a bit better, however, smoked production was low and the smoke was thin and wispy. The cigar burned very evenly, never requiring any touch-ups or attention. The ash was medium-gray and firm. The cigar smoked cool until the end where it got a bit hot.

Initial taste was woody with a backing of creamy coffee. It was on the mild side of medium-bodied. There were some mingled tastes of citrus as the cigar progressed and an almost floral-note was detected. At the half-way mark, the woody character firmly established itself with notes of floral and citrus on the finish. Toward the end, the cigar developed a slightly flinty taste that was not appreciated.

I admittedly do not particularly like RYJs very much (with the exception of the Cedros de Luxe and the Cazadores). The taste just doesn't mingle well with my palate. However, this cigar had some good flavors both in the smoke and on the finish. The low smoke production and the flinty taste held it back. I give it a firm B (84-86).

» Dawg,

»

» Thanks for the descriptive review. Could you elaborate on "flinty"?

»

» Wilkey

Take the smell of a lighter flint...kind of metallic, kind of mineral. Then, translate that to taste. A little like pencil lead might also be a good descriptor.

Hope that helps.

I have a box of 01s I bought a few years ago, can't remember the boxcode, that were just terrible. I still have most of them, hoping they'll turn someday. Still very mild and boring, but at least no longer ammoniac like they were. Low smoke output as well, and I would agree with the flinty characterization. Mine LOOK gorgeous, however. :-|