Hoyo de Monterrey Pyramide from the Seleccion Piramides box

Name: Hoyo de Monterrey Pyramide from the Seleccion Piramides box of five. Length ~ 6 1/8"

Gauge ~ 52

Box Date: LLN Sep 03.

External Appearance: (Wrapper Colour, Oil, Sheen etc) - like dry earth, not apparent faults.

Tasting Notes - If this cigar isn’t proof that PT Barnum was correct and there is one born every minute, then some folk will never be convinced. One can only imagine that this box of five was conceived of as a way to finger those tourists to Havana not keen to fork out for a full box. This was the worst of the five - extremely ordinary and lacking any recognisable flavour except dirt and more dirt. In fact, the dirtiest cigar I have ever had the misfortune to try. Very disappointing. Trying to get one’s head around the concept that this came from the same people that brought you the fabulous Hoyo Limited Edition Piramide 2003 is like trying to understand that Roseanne Barr and Elle MacPherson come from the same gender. 55.

Rob: Not a huge fan. The cigar appears confused. Looks like a Rolls Royce but drives like a farm tractor. We will come back to this one in a year to review further. 55

Definitely a different blend to the HDM LE Pirimide.

The concept was sound and the Cohiba and Monte are not bad. The Partagas suffers along the same lines as the HDM. The R&J is passable.

Greak marketing. So So cigars BUT cool case that you can re-fill with good cigars and take camping for the weekend or interstare.

Thanks for the review ken. Your (and Rob's) reviews are pretty much what I have heard from everyone.

For myself the packaging alone turned me off. (Not that case itself is not cool). Even if 2 or 3 were great you could not buy them seperately. What a hassel and expense. and as turns that is exactly whats happened. I will leave these cigars for the bigtime collectors.

well the marketing trick definitely got me!!! picked up two of these at LCDH in Habana. As Rob mentioned the packaging is useful for next time...haven't smoked any of mine yet....thanks for heads up, you guys just destroyed all of my anticipation regarding these smokes!!hehe:crying:

• 1 month later...

Ken,

After trying the Cohiba from the box, I actually enjoyed the Hoyo. Nice creamy caramel flavours, excellent draw and a beautiful deep aroma. I'm Not overly experienced with Hoyos however I enjoyed this one, perhaps it was becuase I was christening my new cigar 'den'.