Hoyo de Monterrey Pyramide Edicion Limitada 2003

Name: Hoyo de Monterrey Pyramide Edicion Limitada 2003

Length ~ 6 1/8"

Gauge ~ 52

Box Date: ARA March 03

External Appearance: (Wrapper Colour, Oil, Sheen etc) - rich, oily, dark brown, very appealing.

Tasting Notes - One of the very finest of all the Limited Editions yet released, this is a superstar. Rich, complex, concentrated, with a perfect burn and an impeccable cone, this cigar offers a myriad of flavours through the spectrum of spice, caramel, dark beans and rich creamy coffee. Superb now and on its way to even better things. Winelovers say that they can hear the voice of God through great pinot noir. Cigar lovers may have a similar revelation with this classic Hoyo. 95.

Rob: I could live on these alone. Rich, sweet, smooth, creamy...magnificent. I wish I kept more than I did as I am down to my personal last few boxes. Some people complain about the burn....for heavens sake, GET A LiFE!. It is a young cigar and the burn will improve with time but just appreciate how good these are right now. 96

The first box I purchased was at the RyJ factory in Cuba for 137.00 USD in 2003 and now it's my favorite EL. That price was before the increase and they are getting harder to find on the island. I like them so much I got two more boxes last year. Great smoke..

» Nice review Ken, thanks.

»

» These were the full box of EL's I ordered and still love em to this day!

Bill _ I think you ment first nt full?

I am almost near the end of a box and been thinking I need to replace it. Today I bought 1/2 a boc of Monte DC EL & a 1/2 box of Monte Robusto El. I had to get them while the getting was good.

I would put both of those EL up against the Hoyo anyday.

Also since these 2 cigars are getting so hard to find I figured

get while the getting is good!

& Hello everyone!

Looking for a place for greetings, but figured I'd just jump right in!

CC

A very impressive smoke,

My friend Habanablue & I enjoyed one with some good coffee. Certainly the last third is to be respected, a good meal & some fine wine would really be complemented by this cigar.

Look forward to some more reviews.

Al

• 2 months later...

after last weekend being so horribly depressing - reds losing to the waratahs so now we know that hell has indeed frozen over, and then the lions playing like jellybooted water buffaloes, stuck in the proverbial mud - i turned to a tape that has been sitting on the shelf since nov 03 - the world cup final. made the game (and there can be little to come close to getting along to one of those, even if it was ruined by a dropkick, and the bloke that kicked it) but had never been able to watch the replay. so i thought as things cannot get worse, i'd get it over and done with. things did get more depressing and no matter how much i willed it, just could not change the result (there must be a huge market for doctored tapes of sporting events giving the right result) so i needed cheering and turned to one of the last remaining ones of these (i have a box in deep storage so all not lost). suddenly, all was well with the world. i swear that these just get better and better, tho a tight draw that did require work. if you've not tried them, try and scrounge one. if you have them, they are going to be superstars in a few years. 95 with a bullet (which is what i would have liked to give jonny and his mates).

I have TWO left.:-(

I wish I could find some more.

Hey Rob did you say you had two personal boxes left? Would you like to make some personal cash?

I just smoked one of these on Friday afternoon. I had smoked 3 or so at one point and loved them. Then, the 4th cigar was sick and I put them away for 6 months. I brought them back out for a trail run and it seems they're back again! I'm very happy, as I missed this cigar a lot during its "sleep period".

» mel,

» i hope you mean two boxes and not just two cigars!

No Bro. Two lonely black bastards in little baggie. Steal some of Robs and lets split them.

mel, i was in havana with rob when he bought these and i know what we paid. given the appalling mark-up he added for everyone else, i figure that as one crime has already been committed, another one won't matter. if i get half a chance.... (course, if i do, you'll need to get on your bike pronto or they may all be gone).

• 2 weeks later...

» fortunately, these were some of the few cigars i own that did not

» contribute to your coffers - i got them on trips to havana (no doubt, you

» had previously organised a commission from the chaps there?)

I also have to get atleast 1 more box. Seams everyone agrees that this is one of the favorites of the EL series. By far one of my favorite cigars of all time

• 3 months later...

Sept 05. Poolside in Douro at Quinta do Crasto. If you could imagine a near perfect lunch at a wonderful Portuguese estate on the slopes of the Douro on a perfect Spring day with lots of great wine and no one fussing over it or analyzing it to death and surrounded by great company and gorgeous women - does it get better than this, I asked myself. Yes, I answered and took myself off poolside post-lunch (surely one of the most spectacular views from a pool on this planet looking right down the Douro with a pool that seems to have no edge and just tumbles over - you had to be there - hey, Rob asked for a report) and lay back with one of these. They are just getting better and better (I swear that the circumstances did not influence me in the slightest). Dark choc appearance and good construction, quite tight. A few veins but no problem. Cold, had the comforting aroma of old leather armchairs. Has picked up a little maturity and complexity but suspect that this is just the first stage and over the next 5-8 years, will blossom even more. Deeply flavoured with power and balance - real iron fist in a velvet glove stuff. Quite dense smoke. Dark coffee and spice notes, some herbs. Took a bit over an hour to smoke. This really lived up to all the hype - to think that you could pick these up in Havana a bit over 18 months ago for US$136 a box. What a bargain! 95.

Sept 05. Had a second at one of my all time fav bars, La Venenzia in Madrid - this place serves five different sherries, no beer wine or spirits, and nothing else but the most fantastic anchovies and dried compressed tuna eggs and it is chockers every night. The whole small place is dirt brown from age and smoke, the cash register is beyond antique (needs to be wound up to open) and the youngest poster in the place is from ‘84 and they go back to the ’40s. Fabulous. This was just as sensational as the earlier one, lots of roasted nuts, dark Valrhona chocolate, mocha, old teak. Had a great cone but the most minor of negatives, a slightly crooked burn but no real problem. Just love these. Knocked off a point for the burn. 94.