Texas Duo Review - Illusione MK Ultra 2016

IMG_3720.jpeg.66e2be2e9e7b7ff33853756a18490e31.jpeg

And now, my side of the story…

Not sure how old this is, but there is a considerable amount of yellow in the celo 

Wrapper is kind of a dark nutty color, not quite Maduro. Lots of mottled oily patches (yum!) and just a little tooth to it. After a straight cut, the cold draw gives me chocolate right off the bat, and some gingerbread spice.

First puffs have some earthy black pepper, hefty in the nose, which thankfully only lasts a couple puffs. That gives way to a nutty coffee and some deep, robust cocoa. There is perhaps a little Bavarian nut hiding out in there, too, and the slightest bit of funky mushroom.

IMG_3721.jpeg.01fa9ae39f3216869bdaf63d8d4a602b.jpeg

Superfluous amounts of smoke, excellent burn line, and a great thick finish on this little stick. The texture, to me, is extremely viscous. More syrupy than oily. Love that mouthfeel! Going on, the funk that was just barely there is completely gone, replaced with some tangy wood. Ginger cake and some citrus show up right before a hefty chunk of ash falls into my lap.

Going into the second third, notes of prune and maybe Triple Sec emerge. Not the regular Cointreau, more of Cointreau Noir, if you’ve ever had it. Full-bodied, in your face flavor with this stick. Delicious, with some sweetness and citrus notes. A far cry from my usual CC aesthetic, but a good change of pace. Strength so far has been maybe just approaching medium. 

IMG_3723.jpeg.3201c5bf0a6e59c0d83519cda17d1a09.jpeg

In the last act, some leather and coffee begin to show up, hidden behind chocolate and ginger at first, then becoming more prevalent in the mix. The nutty note seems to be more Macadamia nut here. The funky has all but faded, and that finish now has some vibes of very light molasses. Coffee and leather take over eventually, but the flavor starts to turn bitter as I get near the band. Then more bitter. Finally, very bitter and unruly.

IMG_3725.jpeg.ce147ddc0a60c4cbcae0a716d20ddf8f.jpeg

Another case where, if I had stopped ten minutes sooner, I would’ve been left with a much better impression. The last third was fairly muddled, with lemon or tangerine popping here and there, before that bitter ending. The first half or so, though, had some fantastic bold flavor. 

Smoke time was just under an hour and a half. I’d love to try another, but I will not be nubbing it again. Giving this one an 86.

• Like 4

Cnote seems to have enjoyed the cigar more. But, Capn J appears to have given a higher score (8/10 v. 86). I see common references to lemon/citrus as well as ginger.  An 8/10 and 86 is generally  a "no go" in my book. What frame of reference should I be using?

13 hours ago, Lamboinee said:

Cnote seems to have enjoyed the cigar more. But, Capn J appears to have given a higher score (8/10 v. 86). I see common references to lemon/citrus as well as ginger.  An 8/10 and 86 is generally  a "no go" in my book. What frame of reference should I be using?

I'd say we both grade pretty hard. I like the sweet, CJ likes more savory earthy mushroom. Neither of us like red pepper. Neither of us have time or patience for BS cigars. But read between the lines. This is ok++, monolithic for me. CJ likes it as 'a change of pace.' I'd call both of those viewpoints damning with faint praise. I was expecting alot more from 7y+ reserve blend from a very well regarded brand.

For me, I formally grade on a 10 (or 11) point scale. 8s are fine cigars. I'd rate most Nudies OpusX Padron Viaje Warped etc 8s or 9s on a good day, 7s on a bad. Anything less than 6 is more construction or blend issue. Honestly I've given Padron 6s (blend for price) and OpusX 3s (construction). I try to formally review cigars either indoors or on crisp nice days outside so as to avoid ambient humidity issues etc. Informally, it's a 3 point scale: No thanks, yes at the right price, yes and thank you for not smoking them yourself.

Please note that this project started as recommending specific cigars to each other and not quite understanding why something one of us loved was kicked to the curb by the other. Our schedules will hopefully clarify soon and allow us to smoke and talk in person about the same cigar, but that doesn't always work as CJ will make a PC last as long as I smoke a toro, and we often have had something in mind to smoke that day. I mean, who plans what they smoke besides crazy people trying to learn?

@Capn_Jackson throw some thoughts on how you're grading up...

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Çnote said:

But read between the lines.

Formally, I love what you're doing and I'm wearing a tuxedo. Informally, I love what you're doing but I'm not wearing a tuxedo. Smoke on brothers!

Pretty much the same here. On my 90 pt scale, 10 pts go to construction, overall “performance,” etc. Then, “roughly” 30 pts for each third, sometimes re-weighted if one act is just mesmerizing and another is blah. It balances out.

This smoke was not in my usual wheelhouse at all, but I gave favorable points because it was a very pleasant surprise. Bitterness really only occurred at the nub, past where I usually stop anyway. The fact that I wanted to go that far down is, for me, a plus in itself. If I had stopped where I normally do, would’ve been more well-received. I did add some “extra credit” because I honestly loved what was going on for most of the stick. Not an everyday smoke for me, not subtle or “coy” at all, and not altogether refined but good change of pace. With that in account, I reviewed a little more favorably.

• JohnS changed the title to Texas Duo Review - Illusione MK Ultra 2016