Another TX Duo Review!

And now for my side of the story:

Had a couple interesting duo reviews with @Çnote so far, and looking forward to see what this one brings. We have a spoken agreement to not read what the other wrote or said, until afterwards, so no part is influenced by the other. When he told me we were doing a Fuente Gran Reserva, and that it wasn’t even very old, I had my doubts but was still interested to see where this one went. Haven’t smoked a Gran Reserva in over 10 years, other than one or two Short Stories.

IMG_3175.jpeg.213937c782f0ffd75acdc3c71709f9a8.jpeg

Wrapper is fairly smooth, with just a little tooth. Very light color. The cap looks like someone was a little tipsy when they glued it on. 

IMG_3176.jpeg.2122d4b8fd179f9dd541ec99dde99c4b.jpeg

The cold draw brings me coffee and some pepper spice. Good draw on this. Opening light carries some light-roast coffee, some honey, and gingersnaps.

Continuing on, there is a tiny bit of spicy honey, a little cocoa, and hay. There’s also some jalapeño oil that comes not so much through the nose, but lingers at the back of the tongue in an aggressive way. Not digging that too much. Meanwhile, some crushed almond eventually starts to show, making me wish for a little more honey in the mix. The finish is a little almond, some baking spices, maybe nutmeg. Slightly bitter, but not extremely so. Not a very great beginning, but fine.

IMG_3187.jpeg.4e3eac5cfc58438d09580badd986fa5c.jpeg

Strength feels a touch over medium, and texture is mostly dry. Great draw, construction, and smoke output, as I’d expect from a Fuente.

Approaching the second third, the jalapeño at the back of my tongue seems to fade some, or maybe I’m just getting used to it. Either way, that’s been the main detractor here from an otherwise pretty okay smoke. However, there is quite a lot of change going toward the midpoint. Still a little heat, but now some sourdough toast comes into play. Mostly sourdough and almonds, along with a little maple syrup. Much more in line with my usual preferred profile. Starting to notice a little dried stone fruit, too, but it disappears before I ever identify it. Texture is still kind of dry, but not in a bad way. Like powdered almond with nutmeg. The strength has settled on medium, maybe just a notch over.

IMG_3190.jpeg.8198df454186bd9cf45177f688f21c2e.jpeg

Going into the last act, the sourdough leaves the stage and I start to get notes of sweet citrus. Also a hefty blast of butterscotch, something I’ve only had in a few cigars. Eventually the butterscotch fades, and the almond takes on a more buttery shade, kind of like marzipan. Great stuff here! Finish is of toasted nuts and maybe a little cinnamon bagel. The texture becomes more oily, almost syrupy. Burn line keeps getting wonky, leaving some peninsulas here and there, but most correct themselves without touch up. Just a couple required.

IMG_3191.jpeg.7b9bc5936d9f2a056082df7bd20784f2.jpeg

I’m really glad Cody suggested this one for our project. At the start, I wasn’t surprised at all that it was a little bland, but past the halfway point, things became much more rich and I quite enjoyed that. Just too bad it took so long to get there. The second hour of this cigar was very groovy, and the last twenty-odd minutes were fantastic! As this was about a 2-1/2 hour smoke for me, that was just too much time waiting for a statement to be made. Would I smoke it again? Maybe if I have a football game or something fairly distracting going on for that first half.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, MossybackR said:

Both reviews were excellent, but I am a bit confused — were these intended to be reviews of the *same* cigar? Or just different vitolas of A Fuente?

Same cigar, the Fuente Gran Reserva King T

5 hours ago, Capn_Jackson said:

Same cigar, the Fuente Gran Reserva King T

Ahhh — now I see that your photo, which clearly shows a “green label” fuente is the same as that of Cnote (which looked closer to a “black label”). 

• Like 1