Just when you thought that NFL Playoff games should not be allocated to Streaming Services, along comes Amazon Prime...

JohnS

Yes, I know, you enjoyed this year's NFL Playoff season except for the fact that one game between the Kansas City Chiefs and Miami Dolphins was allocated to NBC's Streaming Service, Peacock. Now comes news that Amazon Prime has been given exclusive rights to broadcast a game next season. Does this sit well with you? Or does it simply annoy?

As an Australian, I get every NFL Postseason game broadcast on a free-to-air channel because the NFL is 'hellbent' on promoting the game in overseas markets. The sweet irony of it all!

Amazon wins exclusive streaming rights for NFL playoff game

By Eva Rothenberg, CNN

Published Sat February 10, 2024

2023-12-29t024955z-2126388581-mt1usatoday22186656-rtrmadp-3-nfl-new-york-jets-at-cleveland-browns.webp.77171b845055361fe6452640943172fe.webp

Cleveland Browns quarterback Joe Flacco (15) hands off to running back Jerome Ford (34) during the first half against the New York Jets at Cleveland Browns Stadium on Dec 28, 2023. Scott Galvin/USA Today Sports/Reuters

Amazon has landed the rights to exclusively stream one National Football League playoff game next season on its Prime Video platform, a source familiar with the matter told CNN.

The deal comes less than a month after NBCUniversal’s Peacock became the first-ever platform to exclusively livestream an NFL playoff game. The January 13 matchup, a Wild Card game between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Miami Dolphins, made history as the most streamed event in US history. The game was streamed by more than 20 million viewers and boosted audience traffic on Peacock, “driving the Internet to its largest U.S. usage ever on a single day,” said NBCUniversal at the time.

In comparison, the Wild Card game between the Cleveland Browns and Houston Texans on January 13 averaged 29.2 million viewers across NBC, Peacock, NBC Sports Digital, NFL Digital and Telemundo, and ranked as the most watched Saturday NFL Wild Card game on NBC since 2014, according to a news release from NBC Sports.

The source said Peacock did not lose the rights to exclusively stream a playoff game. Rather, Amazon earned the deal by hitting certain performance benchmarks in the company’s 2021 streaming deal with the NFL, which gave the platform the sole right to stream “Thursday Night Football” starting last season.

Earlier this month, Amazon reported a 24% year-over-year increase in total viewership of “Thursday Night Football” this season, citing Nielsen.

“The November 30 Seahawks-Cowboys game attracted 15.3 million viewers, becoming Prime Video’s most watched TNF game ever,” the company wrote in a news release announcing its fourth-quarter financial results.

The NFL declined to comment and Amazon has not responded to CNN’s request for comment.

The move by Amazon comes after Tuesday’s announcement from Disney’s ESPN, Fox Corp. and Warner Bros Discovery that the media giants would jointly launch a sports streaming platform. Warner Bros Discovery is the parent company of CNN.

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/10/business/amazon-nfl-football-playoffs-streaming/index.html

It is really annoying. I had to get my daughter’s account to watch the Miami game.  The NFL is the hottest ticket in the US and they don’t give a shit about us. They are pimping the NFL pretty well 😀

• Like 2

It won’t be super strange for me since I’m used to watching the Thursday night games on Prime anyway. However, if they haven’t upgraded their streaming bandwidth, we’re gonna have an issue lol

• Like 1

The telecast rights deal signed by the NFL with each of their streaming partners was insane. 100 Billion (total) for 10 years until 2033 from memory. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

The telecast rights deal signed by the NFL with each of their streaming partners was insane. 100 Billion (total) for 10 years until 2033 from memory. 

Most people I know already have Amazon Prime or access to it.  The pain is the continual addition of different new services.  I had to join Peacock to watch 2 games this year including a playoff game.  I'm glad the new deal isn't with HULU or some other different service.

• Like 2

At the end of the day it’s a business and they’ll use whatever means is most profitable. I wouldn’t worry to much about it, if everyone else feels the same way you guys do. I don’t watch football but personally if was legitimately concerned I’d vote with my wallet and just not watch the games on streaming services. If you watch them regardless of your feelings as far as they’re concerned it means it’s a good option to switch. Just my two cents. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 2:42 PM, JohnS said:

Yes, I know, you enjoyed this year's NFL Playoff season except for the fact that one game between the Kansas City Chiefs and Miami Dolphins was allocated to NBC's Streaming Service, Peacock. Now comes news that Amazon Prime has been given exclusive rights to broadcast a game next season. Does this sit well with you? Or does it simply annoy?

As an Australian, I get every NFL Postseason game broadcast on a free-to-air channel because the NFL is 'hellbent' on promoting the game in overseas markets. The sweet irony of it all!

Amazon wins exclusive streaming rights for NFL playoff game

By Eva Rothenberg, CNN

Published Sat February 10, 2024

Amazon has landed the rights to exclusively stream one National Football League playoff game next season on its Prime Video platform, a source familiar with the matter told CNN.

The deal comes less than a month after NBCUniversal’s Peacock became the first-ever platform to exclusively livestream an NFL playoff game. The January 13 matchup, a Wild Card game between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Miami Dolphins, made history as the most streamed event in US history. The game was streamed by more than 20 million viewers and boosted audience traffic on Peacock, “driving the Internet to its largest U.S. usage ever on a single day,” said NBCUniversal at the time.

In comparison, the Wild Card game between the Cleveland Browns and Houston Texans on January 13 averaged 29.2 million viewers across NBC, Peacock, NBC Sports Digital, NFL Digital and Telemundo, and ranked as the most watched Saturday NFL Wild Card game on NBC since 2014, according to a news release from NBC Sports.

The source said Peacock did not lose the rights to exclusively stream a playoff game. Rather, Amazon earned the deal by hitting certain performance benchmarks in the company’s 2021 streaming deal with the NFL, which gave the platform the sole right to stream “Thursday Night Football” starting last season.

Earlier this month, Amazon reported a 24% year-over-year increase in total viewership of “Thursday Night Football” this season, citing Nielsen.

“The November 30 Seahawks-Cowboys game attracted 15.3 million viewers, becoming Prime Video’s most watched TNF game ever,” the company wrote in a news release announcing its fourth-quarter financial results.

The NFL declined to comment and Amazon has not responded to CNN’s request for comment.

The move by Amazon comes after Tuesday’s announcement from Disney’s ESPN, Fox Corp. and Warner Bros Discovery that the media giants would jointly launch a sports streaming platform. Warner Bros Discovery is the parent company of CNN.

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/10/business/amazon-nfl-football-playoffs-streaming/index.html

On 2/11/2024 at 3:09 PM, Pmo13 said:

It won’t be super strange for me since I’m used to watching the Thursday night games on Prime anyway. However, if they haven’t upgraded their streaming bandwidth, we’re gonna have an issue lol

Problem is prime is free with Amazon which we all use, you have to pay for Peacock subscription to watch a game.  

• Like 1