Humidity question

Jerryvonkramer

Hi folks. I have four humidors, each are 25-50 capacity. I can never calibrate the gauges on the front, so use little digital humidity meters inside each one. As per advice of this forum, I keep all of them at 65 using Boveda packs. Each one has FOUR of the bigger sizes packs and no more than 50 cigars in each.

This was working fine until the winter when the humidity plummeted. Below the shelf of the cigars is a radiator and its been cold so the heating is on most of the time. Just before Christmas, I all four of them were around 57-8, so I switched out the packs for 69s, still struggled to top 60, so I put in a pot of the cigar crystals + solution together with the 69 packs in each and now each of them are on 63.

What I don't understand is why there's a 6-7 degree humidity "lag". In the summer, there's no heating on but the humidity shoots up anyway, which is why I went down to the 65s in the first place. I'm in UK by the way. How "normal" is this? Not knowing many IRL cigar smokers, hard to get good advice. Cigar shop owners tend to be tremendously smug about storage.

Homes that are heated tend to be drier and it's harder to maintain humidity as the temps go down. Using seasonal Bovedas sounds a like a good idea!

• 1 month later...

Just popping in on this (young old thread) to point out: If you're asking RH% questions and looking for help you have to include temperature with your RH% reading. IE: I was reading 65% at 66 Degrees F, and now I'm reading 69% at 59 Degrees F.