world cup - can't blame the players (not totally)

Ken Gargett

Well thank god that is over. What a complete embarrassment.

Australia kicked out of the World Cup before we even get to the quarters. To think that we were once a decent side, even a great one. Now, a hopeless bunch of jokes – in fairness, hard to blame the players. The coaching, what there has been of it, is truly abysmal. Criminally negligent. 

Mind you, it could have been worse. Imagine sneaking into the world cup quarter finals by limping past Georgia and Portugal. It would be like Novac Djokovic making the Wimbledon finals after narrowly beating a pair of crippled blind kids. We’d have been the laughingstock of international rugby for decades. Of course, we already hold that role. On one side, we have teams like France, New Zealand, Ireland, South Africa. On the other, a bunch of useless rabble making up the numbers and we are at the bottom of it. At least this has saved us from the inevitable embarrassment of losing to England.

I now consider it my patriotic duty to support any team playing the wallabies. Until we are rid of the festering sore that is the toxic hobbit and his gibbering sidekick, jabba the chairman, I will happily support every team we play. 100%. Until they are gone. It seems the only way to save Australian rugby (which is a bit like the captain of the Titanic saying that something is the only way to save the ship, as he reaches for the aqualung and floaties).  

People used to say that Deans and Rennie were fifth columnists here to destroy Aussie rugby as part of a cunning Kiwi plan. Well, seems they were not needed. We are quite capable of destroying it ourselves. That pair now look like Rod MacQueen at his best in comparison to the dross we have now.

Never have two people, especially jones, done more to destroy Australian rugby in such a short time as this pair.

What possessed anyone to think that bringing a perennial failure like jones back was a good idea? Is there anyone – I mean this seriously – who thinks that their pet cat or a house plant could not have done a better job? If someone had given 30 of our better rugby players tickets to France and said bugger off by yourselves and see what you can do without a shred of support, anyone think that the results would not have been better than this farce? I'm surprised that they didn't bring in Allan Joyce as his assistant. Does anyone have a garden gnome available? It could do better.

As for that vile heap of crap, jones, and his ‘this is on me, mate’ garbage, does anyone believe a word of it? If he genuinely meant it, he would hang his head in shame and resign on the spot and take that piece of scum, jabba, with him. No doubt we will be told it is all about the youth policy – he only picks “youth” because anyone who has been around him for any length of time knows what an utter fraud and incompetent he is. Anyone who dares question him is out. 

One of his former assistants (who actually had the experience of winning a World Cup) was in France with friends and simply refused to watch the game v Fiji, knowing we had no chance. He'd had so many calls during the week from players who were confused and angry at jones continually changing everything. Apparently, they changed the entire breakdown strategy three days before the game. What chance did we have?  

As for that nonsense about a ‘smash and grab’ raid to win the Cup, the only ‘smash and grab’ raid that has happened was the one jones perpetrated on Australian rugby, stuffing his pockets with whatever cash he and his cronies could drain from rugby coffers. He cares as much about Australian rugby as I care about the health and wellbeing of influencers. That absolute disgraceful business with Japan should have seen him sacked on the spot but he and jabba have their noses in the trough and they have no intention of stepping back until they have grabbed very last cent they can. Bugger the grass roots.

Time to support all who play against the wallabies. It would be shameful not to do so. Short term pain. Although it is hard to envisage any long term gain. Personally, I think we should start a Go-Fund-Me page for jones to be appointed the new coach of that emerging rugby force, the Gaza Strip.

As for this Cup, love to see a France v Ireland final. Even South Africa can be involved. For once, I would not consider it the coming of the four horsemen if England or New Zealand were in the final (perhaps two horsemen and if either won it, three).

Of course, such is the interest in rugby that the quarter finals are no longer to be shown on channel nine or any of its associates apparently. So, the wallabies now rate lower than late night ads about vacuum cleaners and gym machines. Jabba must be so proud.

I have not the slightest intention in setting foot in a rugby stadium anywhere, whether for an international or under sixes, until the current pondscum are flushed away. It should happen today.

We are now the Uruguay of rugby. In decades ahead people will wonder with amazement how we ever won anything, let alone world cups.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

...........I blame the fair weather supporters who call for a change of coach every 6 months :rolleyes:

if that is your attempt at a not-so-subtle dig, i am not one of those. i call for a new coach immediately they appoint a donkey, which has been every coach for ages. as soon as we get a good one, i am happy. never ever whinged about tempo, knuckles, macqueen, link. or thorn for the reds. 

i assume you are calling for pep too go today? 

Just now, Ken Gargett said:

if that is your attempt at a not-so-subtle dig, i am not one of those. i call for a new coach immediately they appoint a donkey, which has been every coach for ages. as soon as we get a good one, i am happy. never ever whinged about tempo, knuckles, macqueen, link. or thorn for the reds. 

i assume you are calling for pep too go today? 

Short memory. You were digging the graves of Rennie and Cheika within 6 months of them taking over. Both deserved far better. 

Ken, If it doesn't come with a Qld red jumper you see "ghosts".  Your ilk are a big part of the problem for rugby in this country.  Living 30 - 40 years on past glories/memories of tribal greatness that has no part of a successful model today. 

Let Twiggy spend the 200M to buy the individual clubs and  set up his own national comp NPC division style with promotion/relegation. Well funded, Free to air coverage.

See how long the ARU/Reds/Tahs etal last. 

12 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Short memory. You were digging the graves of Rennie and Cheika within 6 months of them taking over. Both deserved far better. 

Ken, If it doesn't come with a Qld red jumper you see "ghosts".  Your ilk are a big part of the problem for rugby in this country.  Living 30 - 40 years on past glories/memories of tribal greatness that has no part of a successful model today. 

Let Twiggy spend the 200M to buy the individual clubs and  set up his own national comp NPC division style with promotion/relegation. Well funded, Free to air coverage.

See how long the ARU/Reds/Tahs etal last. 

i see the brothers grimm in operation early. 

my ilk? 

i was more than happy to give rennie a chance. and did so. in his first 12 months (oh ye of the dodgy memory), he won one out of six. that became 3 out of 12 and 9 of those games were at home. the three wins were by either 2 or 3 points and all considered fortunate. the only top ten nation that didn't beat us was Japan and that was by a sliver. he had the worst record of any wallaby coach in history. how long did you want to give him?

chieka? really? i don't recall you waving any flags for him. his was the second worst record as a wallaby coach. again, i was more than happy if he had done anything for us. he took us from the third ranked nation to 6th. 

as for the alleged reds bias, of the five coaches i mentioned, two of the four wallaby coaches were from nsw and had coached nsw, and one was from new zealand.

and, as you well know, i have been more than happy, near delirious, at the prospect of  twiggy or whoever injecting cash. i could hardly have been more opposed to the current arrangement. 

one down! crack the champers. 

looks like jones has slithered away. despite repeated denials, the grubby little piece of vermin is apparently off to Japan. so much for the five year contract and the policy of youth and all oif the rest of his dishonesty. lied time after time. and has had the extraordinary temerity to suggest that he has left Australian rugby in a better place. much like Hitler left Germany a better place. 

hopefully we have seen the back of jones forever. 

that buffoon Hamish next. he was behind it all. has turned Australian rugby into a laughingstock. 

10 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

......and yet so many cheered when a good coach and decent man Rennie was shown the door. Shame Australia shame. :rolleyes:

To put in in perspective 

Ireland beat Wallabis 13-10 November 22 (Rennie). 

France beat Australia 30-29 November 22 (Rennie)

Both Ireland  (No 1 side in world) and France (Number 2 side in world). 

Today we couldn't come within 25 points of either.

Jones is a disaster. Rennie had momentum and building. . Sometimes a W-L record  doesn't show the full story. Certainly not in this country when you have such a diabolical setup. 

7 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

......and yet so many cheered when a good coach and decent man Rennie was shown the door. Shame Australia shame. :rolleyes:

i suspect some cheering but from my perspective, it was more disappointment across the board that it had not worked. but i know no one who was pleased jones came back, nor that the buffoon dumped rennie three minutes before the world cup. whatever rennie was, we had to stick with him at that stage. even his biggest critics seemed to understand that. except jabba the chairman. had they done it a year or more earlier, perhaps, but never then. and most of all, not with jones. he is a perennial failure but pumped up by his mates in nsw. 

undoubtedly the systems in Ireland and NZ etc, are working so much better than ours but on what planet would anyone had over central control to those in charge now. they have utterly failed the game. and they want more power. not a chance at the moment. 

hi guys, we are the dills who have sent rugby broke. please give us more power, plus all your assets because we need the money. no chance. 

4 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

To put in in perspective 

Ireland beat Wallabis 13-10 November 22 (Rennie). 

France beat Australia 30-29 November 22 (Rennie)

Both Ireland  (No 1 side in world) and France (Number 2 side in world). 

Today we couldn't come within 25 points of either.

Jones is a disaster. Rennie had momentum and building. . Sometimes a W-L record  doesn't show the full story. Certainly not in this country when you have such a diabolical setup. 

agree with all that, although both France and Ireland were a long way from their top teams. the set up is proving disastrous, absolutely, but at the moment, changing it involves giving more power to those who have utterly failed. not sure we have an easy way around it. best suggestion i heard was to put eales in charge. everyone would listen and respect him. problem with that is, as one bloke said, why on earth would eales want the position. and those currently in charge have no intention of stepping aside. 

just at the moment, i'm not sure i am on board with the W-L story not the full situation. that is basically what jones is claiming. and in his case, it most definitely does tell the same story.

to be continued, next vid. 

1 minute ago, Ken Gargett said:

undoubtedly the systems in Ireland and NZ etc, are working so much better than ours but on what planet would anyone had over central control to those in charge now. they have utterly failed the game. and they want more power. not a chance at the moment. 

Central control a must. 

Central need to specify to whoever the coach is of Reds/Tahs/Brumbies etal, to put "this player in and that player out". You need to develop national pathways. 

Tah's are broke and have gone all in. Rebels same. Brumbies thinking about it, but likely. Reds said no. Cut off all funding for Reds as of Monday. 

The way forward is clear. National control or nothing. Format of natonal control is up for discussion. They have six months

1 minute ago, Ken Gargett said:

best suggestion i heard was to put eales in charge.

I know John. We went to school together. 

However, he has been on the ARU board for 13 years? "ish". He is part of the problem. 

Better bring on Kearns. 

On 10/12/2023 at 10:46 AM, El Presidente said:

Central control a must. 

Central need to specify to whoever the coach is of Reds/Tahs/Brumbies etal, to put "this player in and that player out". You need to develop national pathways. 

Tah's are broke and have gone all in. Rebels same. Brumbies thinking about it, but likely. Reds said no. Cut off all funding for Reds as of Monday. 

The way forward is clear. National control or nothing. Format of natonal control is up for discussion. They have six months

the reds didn't say no. they had certain requirements and as far as i could see, the key one is not handing over their major assets to rugby Australia. which would seem fairly sane since the management of money and assets by rugby Australia would seem on a par with a drunk politician. and with the current regime, would you trust them with two cents or to get it right?  that said, i am not even sure that rugby australia have made that a condition they do so, so entirely possible if the other things met (such as a thorough and proper review - can understand why rugby australia would not want that) then central control is possible. 

I've met kearns a few times and he seems a decent and genuine bloke but he is great mates with jones and obviously close to that buffoon chairman. bringing kearns in would be more of the same. yet another Randwick old boy. rightly or wrongly, you mention randwick to reds administrators and they start frothing at the mouth. at least eales would have the respect of all - perhaps he needs to be a lot more involved, not less? perhaps he is not up to it (is anyone?). but enhancing the Randwick dominance in the administration of local/Aussie rugby is simply going to entrench the distrust between the states. you want central control, which seems to be about the only option left to us, it has to be more competent and better than today's mob. otherwise, we can pack up now. 

i know no easy fix to this and no quick fix. but leaving those who have taken us to an all time low in power (indeed, giving them more power) in place is not going to work.

one thing - and just saying - to note is that of our last four coaches, as we have slid into oblivion, three have been from Randwick and the other, a kiwi. and one of those was betrayed and effectively forced out by another randwick player - one who he had first supported bringing him into the nsw side for super rugby, that pillar of the community, kurtley beale. then we have such other spineless toads like Michael hooper who backed the player against the coach (and was rewarded with the captaincy). indeed, bar Connolly, we have not had a non-Randwick wallaby coach pretty much all this century, bar the two years of Connolly when he was shoehorned in, after the last farce with jones - people forget jones' record at the end of his first stint was going downhill even worse than this latest mess - he won 1 out of his last 9. Connolly came in for a two year term, has the second highest win rate in wallaby history behind only rod macqueen, and yet as soon as the term neared expiration, nsw could not get rid of him fast enough. in came deans, largely because not even nsw could not justify one of their own at that stage, but they certainly were not going to allow a qlder to continue in the role, no matter how successful. they don't like or trust qld; qld doesn't like or trust them. not to be glib but there seems as much likelihood of mid-east peace as there does of nsw and qld rugby coming together. 

i well remember talking to Connolly at the after match function of a qld v nsw game in Sydney, back when they mattered. David clark was the current chairman of the ARU and treated connolly with the most appalling contempt. when connolly tried to say hello, clark turned his back on him and walked away without a word. that is how the chairman of australian rugby treated the coach of one of Australian rugby's two major teams. 

easy to say just hand over control but there are many decades of mistrust and even intense hatred built into this. it won't happen easily and who could blame queensland. 

but i understand that while jones and the buffoon may have taken us to new lows, the mess was entrenched long before this latest debacle. there is no trust between various bodies. without that, good luck to whatever mug takes on the job.