Non Vintage Wines | Anyone a fan?

BrightonCorgi

I've been a fan of non vintage wines for quite some time.  These are wines from more than one vintage blended & bottled.  Like blended scotch.  Rhone had been the most common wine region I am familiar with this type of wine. 

What are some of your go to's?

Recently tried for the first time Marietta Cellars's OVR "Old Vine Red" 74 which is wine done in this style.  Mix of Zin and field blends.  Terrific wine we are going to stock up on at around $15 USD.  This wine a give away at that.  Has an old world CA wine style to it; not the in your face, over extracted, and ripe style.

Pere Anselme Chateauneuf-du-Pape "La Fiole du Pape" is another classic one.  The bottle crocked. Can be aged or drunk right away.  Same for OVR.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I've been a fan of non vintage wines for quite some time.  These are wines from more than one vintage blended & bottled.  Like blended scotch.  Rhone had been the most common wine region I am familiar with this type of wine. 

What are some of your go to's?

Recently tried for the first time Marietta Cellars's OVR "Old Vine Red" 74 which is wine done in this style.  Mix of Zin and field blends.  Terrific wine we are going to stock up on at around $15 USD.  This wine a give away at that.  Has an old world CA wine style to it; not the in your face, over extracted, and ripe style.

Pere Anselme Chateauneuf-du-Pape "La Fiole du Pape" is another classic one.  The bottle crocked. Can be aged or drunk right away.  Same for OVR.

leaving aside NV champers, we see very little. penfolds have done a couple but they are very much pointy end and several thousand a bottle (blends of grange and yattarna). just basic NV reds/whites, very rare on the ground. 

• Thanks 1

I have had Vega Sicilia Unico Reserva Especial on a couple of occasions; it didn't particularly wow me (certainly not at those prices).

I have fond memories of La Fiole du Pape from very early in my wine journey.  I first ordered it at a restaurant without knowing anything about it other than it looked like a well-priced CDP.  When I saw the gimmicky bottle, I thought "what have I done?", but wound up thoroughly enjoying it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SirVantes said:

I have had Vega Sicilia Unico Reserva Especial on a couple of occasions; it didn't particularly wow me (certainly not at those prices).

I have fond memories of La Fiole du Pape from very early in my wine journey.  I first ordered it at a restaurant without knowing anything about it other than it looked like a well-priced CDP.  When I saw the gimmicky bottle, I thought "what have I done?", but wound up thoroughly enjoying it.

I don't think La Fiole du Pape is sold in MA at the moment.  I believe NH and VT sell it. 

Keep an eye out for Marietta Cellars's OVR "Old Vine Red" 74.

On 7/17/2023 at 10:34 PM, BrightonCorgi said:

I don't think La Fiole du Pape is sold in MA at the moment.  I believe NH and VT sell it. 

Keep an eye out for Marietta Cellars's OVR "Old Vine Red" 74.

i have always preferred the vintage vega's, but enjoyed the unico nv - but yes, certainly not at those prices. the other that was impressive was chapoutier's Pavillon, although when michel took over, he turned it into a vintage wine. 

• Thanks 1