Deep Dive: Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure Number 1

El Presidente

Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure Number 1  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Deep Dive: Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure Number 1

The Epicure Number 1 has had a rollercoaster ride since 2000. At it's best it is a beautiful flavour rainbow showcasing the softness, complexity and class of Cuban tobacco. However there is little room to get that blend profile wrong. Screw it and you get bland paperbark. 

They have been back to their best these last few years but they were some rough patches prior. This is one cigar that I would buy only in good production runs. 

• Do you like Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure Number 1?
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure Number 1?
  • Do the poll!

Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure Number 1  :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Number 1 HQ NOV 18.jpg

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

....whenever the Habanos Gods deem us worthy of its presence...

Rob, just an informal observation, because of going off the 'top of my head' here, but in general, did we have a period there over the last few years where the Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No.2 was more widely available than the HdM Epicure No.1? Same scenario perhaps for the Juan Lopez Seleccion No.2 in comparison to the Juan Lopez No.1?

The reason I say that is because normally these deep dives get more of a response and I was wondering if the unavailability of the HdM Epicure No.1 of late had something to do with the amount of replies here, thus far?

1 minute ago, JohnS said:

Rob, just an informal observation, because of going off the 'top of my head' here, but in general, did we have a period there over the last few years where the Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No.2 was more widely available than the HdM Epicure No.1? Same scenario perhaps for the Juan Lopez Seleccion No.2 in comparison to the Juan Lopez No.1?

The reason I say that is because normally these deep dives get more of a response and I was wondering if the unavailability of the HdM Epicure No.1 of late had something to do with the amount of replies here, thus far?

John, Epi 2 would outsell the Epi 1   50:1  globally. 

The Tabacuba boffins managed to keep supply of Epi 2 going through the pandemic. Epi 1 largely disapeared. Thank fully, Juan Lopez 1 was a regular sight. 

Epi 1 has been unpopular for over  a decade. There were some awful production runs before the the ship righted itself.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

John, Epi 2 would outsell the Epi 1   50:1  globally.

My guess would have been in that ballpark as well.

Can’t say why, but before I reach for an Epi 1 I’d take any of the other CGs before them (e.g. Mag 46, Serie A, SS2, RAS, Sig4, RGCE). The better alternatives? More character?