Wine cooler

eggtimer

Hi All,

first of all thanks for al the very scientific advice that makes me feel more knowledgeable than before but I  have lots to learn.

Please help with the following noob question: I am not very cashed up and am terrified of the following: I can not control the ambient temperature where I live easily. But I do have an old wine fridge that can probably be kept at 65F - the alternative is 80+. So I figured from all I read on here (yes, I will reduce the RH a bit :-)) that the wine fridge could work. Here is the actual question: I have kept some home made cold smoked meat in the fridge which is a very persistent smell. I have cleaned the fridge thoroughly and done all the things one can do - but there is still an ever so slight smell. Would this impair the cigars, given that I do not use a tupperdore but a humidor? I can't get myslef to "just try it" because I fear that the effect might be irreversible.

Any advice very much appreciated!

I’d guess that the best way to rid the interior of odors would be to unplug it and leave it open for a week or so, then completely clean and dry the inside before plugging it back in.

But that said, I’ve found it very challenging in the past to maintain a constant and/or acceptable RH in a refrigerated unit, due to the natural condensation that occurs in the cooling process. 

• Like 1

I agree with @Islandboy and would also suggest powdering the inside with baking soda during the open door rest.  That worked for me when I had a new fridge and needed to eradicate the new plastic smell.  Worth a shot.

• Like 1

Hi all, thanks for the replies - I thought I post an update so it does not feel like I am just posting questions - I really appreciate the suggestions. So the fridge has been cleaned thoroughly and is outside in the sun/wind to dry. I cleaned the filter and the water tray - these already had quite a bit of that smelly smokey condensation in it (partly dired) so this will improve things.

Another interesting thing was that the wine in the fridge, to be precise, the labels had taken on the smell! They were probably the main culprit!

Thanks all

Suggestion.    

let the interior get exposed to sun and or heat.  Plastics off gas more when UV light hits them and when they are heated.   Kinda like a new car left buttoned up in the sun.   

you want it to off gas now, to the point it will not when in use.   

I agree with the others on here. You'll want to let it air out for some days or a week or two. If possible have it in contact with the sun so it can continue off gassing. 

Again, as others have mentioned. I have had shit all luck with any sort of refrigerated units. I currently just keep my electric coolerdor unplugged, as whenever the cooling fan turns on i will pull air (and the accompanying humidity) from the environment it's in. This has caused my RH levels to be consistently high. If you live in a tropical climate this may be something to keep in mine. Good luck!